Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’m looking at a 2008 Sequoia that has 208,000 miles on it. We don’t drive as much as we used to, but we like to go on road trips from time to time. Will a Sequoia with this many miles hold up for the next three years or so? The asking price is $9.5k.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You’re in an Avalon forum but, still, my heavens— no. Crazy market and Toyota reputation notwithstanding, I simply cannot fathom paying that much for something that used.

[edit: you were in an Avalon forum, but no longer! It’ll be interesting to see how this forum reacts]

·
Registered
2021 Sequoia Nightshade
74 Posts
I would recommend having the vehicle looked at by a good mechanic. What you feel comfortable paying is up to you but if the vehicle has been cared for and properly maintained, it may still have some life left in it. High mileage Sequoia's are not uncommon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would recommend having the vehicle looked at by a good mechanic. What you feel comfortable paying is up to you but if the vehicle has been cared for and properly maintained, it may still have some life left in it. High mileage Sequoia's are not uncommon.
Thanks for the insight. I figured since Toyota has a stellar reputation on reliability, this wouldn’t be too much of a long shot. I wouldn’t normally consider any vehicle with this many miles on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would research that year and see what engine and transmission issues it might have or has had. Sequoia's have had several issues with the engine light, trac off and 4lo lights being on and it can be a number of issues.

·
Registered
2008 Sequoia Platinum 210K
33 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 Sequoia Platinum for $12K. Purchased it from a Toyota Dealer Parts Manager. It has 209,000 miles. Nice shape inside and out. Brought it in to a mechanic and they went through it. We did find both front coil springs were broken. The rear handle is inoperable on the tailgate and the rear wiper motor is dead. The frame is great shape and is oiled every year. I will have to replace the exhaust $1K, tires $1K and recondition the wheels (corrosion) $796.

I had all the fluids and filters replaced. I figure I'll end up putting $5-6K into this, but I'll probably put 50,000 miles over 5 years towing a trailer and family. This is a third car in a two driver home. I did have a 2020 Tundra Limited which I sold and pocketed $20K. They paid me more that I paid for it 2 years ago. Crazy times.

Right now the most important thing, to me, is I won't have a car payment. Plus the insurance and registration fees are a quarter of what the Tundra was. I can't fathom the prices for new vehicles now a days.

One thing I found rally helpful was the Toyota Owners app and website. If you put in the VIN of the vehicle, it shows you all the service history. Even if the history is Toyota only, most good vehicles have dealer info. The 2nd Gen Sequoias with the 5.7L engine are great buys right now. Just make sure you have a mechanic with a scan tool check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts