Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's bad. Radiator fluid pours out of exhaust. Body is in rough shape but I am not worried. Truck has had all routine maintenance - I am the original owner. 205,000 miles. 4wd off road package V6, power everything basically loaded truck when new.

I want to keep the truck 5 more years but only if it is worth it.

Radiator clogged (1 side gets hot the other does not), emergency brake barely works, Several dents and bumper rusted through in small areas. Other minor issues.

Your thoughts? I need a truck that is reliable that is all I care about.

·
13,393 Posts
How much are you willing to put into the truck? Maybe installing a used engine? It should be rather easy to have the heads pulled and worked on if yer doing the work. If you have a shop perform the work, expect to fork out about $2600. ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tough to say what I am willing to put in. $2,600 definitely. I need to determine repair cost vs buying a new truck.

·
13,393 Posts
I would start shopping now just so you can find out what the going price is fer a replacement truck. I understand that this is yer baby and you got it brand new. If you have the means to work on the truck and git it back up and running, then go fer it. If it is yer daily driver and you don't have a way of working on it, then yer not gonna have many options besides having someone else work on the truck. ;)

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
212 Posts
Replacing the head gasket is a labor intensive and somewhat difficult job. With the horror stories I have read about dealers doing a simple thing like an oil change (yeah, I know they put their sub-techs on that job, but still) I would have major concern that with even the most experienced tech, the job would be done correctly.

Buying a used engine you really don't know exactly what you are getting either.

Seems we are caught between the devil and the deep blue.

I have an 05 with 125K and may have to make that decision soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Tacologist
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing