Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new to the site and will apoligize in advance if I did not follow protocol when I posted this.

I recently (2 months) purchased a 2008 toyota tacoma (lease back) from our local dealership. It has 40,000km. I took it to the dealership for its regular sched maintenece and got a call later explaining there is a front seal leak! Is this common? Is the seal just cheap from factory and once replaced I am good to go? Should I be getting a Cam sleeve now? Should I unload this truck now? I know a little about vehicles but I am concerned and not sure what to do, so I am looking for advice. Everything is still under 3yr 60k till Feb so cost isn't the worry. I wanted this truck to last YEARS :)

Thank you in adnace for all advice and helpful opinions

JG

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Do you know how many oil seals there are on the "front" of the Tacoma?:cool:

Is it the front engine oil seal (crank seal), front side axle differential seal, front differential pinion seal, etc?

An oil seal is usually pretty cheap, and not usually a big deal. Seals fail, its normal from time to time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am new to the site and will apoligize in advance if I did not follow protocol when I posted this.

I recently (2 months) purchased a 2008 toyota tacoma (lease back) from our local dealership. It has 40,000km. I took it to the dealership for its regular sched maintenece and got a call later explaining there is a front seal leak! Is this common? Is the seal just cheap from factory and once replaced I am good to go? Should I be getting a Cam sleeve now? Should I unload this truck now? I know a little about vehicles but I am concerned and not sure what to do, so I am looking for advice. Everything is still under 3yr 60k till Feb so cost isn't the worry. I wanted this truck to last YEARS :)

Thank you in adnace for all advice and helpful opinions

JG
There is a TSB for oil seal around the timing chain cover being leaky on the V6. Since there's a TSB for it yes it's common.

That could be the case with yours...warranty covers it, the 60K mile one.

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
Do you know how many oil seals there are on the "front" of the Tacoma?:cool:

Is it the front engine oil seal (crank seal), front side axle differential seal, front differential pinion seal, etc?

An oil seal is usually pretty cheap, and not usually a big deal. Seals fail, its normal from time to time.
Seals/gaskets are cheap, but the labor will kill the wallet if you aren't under warranty and don't do it yourself. :(

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Seals/gaskets are cheap, but the labor will kill the wallet if you aren't under warranty and don't do it yourself. :(
Once again, it depends on what seal is actually gone. I did my front main engine oil seal last month myself which cost $18, and can be replaced in around 2 hours MAX from start to finish with only hand tools. The front diff side axle seal can also be replaced in under 2 hours MAX, and that seal is only around $20.

The OP sounds really nervous and thinking of unloading the truck. Just stating it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies all,

It was the crankshaft seal... The last post is correct, I am concerned that the failing seal on a 2008 at 40000k is an indicator of a much bigger concern which would make me want to sell this particular truck. Sounds to me like once the seal is replaced I am good to go again :)

Thanks again for the speedy and helpful replies.

Cheers,
JG

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just dropped off my 06 Tacoma TRD Sport (63k miles) for servicing this morning of an oil and transmission leak. Just got a call from service rep about hour ago that front valve cover is leaking oil, timing belt gasket is leaking. WTF!. He never said if they determined why the transmission is leaking. They wont cover work under standard warranty because I am over on the mileage. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty. But my main concerns is like yours, should I sell the truck? Pretty sick feeling that you spend good money on what is supposed to be a quality truck.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
toddh, take a deep breath.

First of all, where your engine is leaking isn't really a concern, you could live with it with absolutely no harm for a long long time. (As long as it isn't pouring out.) Fixing it is mainly just for cleanliness. In fact, I consider oil leaks in old engines quite proper, as it keeps them from rusting and the bolts freezing. Trucks are trucks, they should bleed a little now and then.

Second, these are fixable problems. The timing chain cover (which is what I think you meant) is a known leaking issue, the factory robot was misprogrammed for a while there, putting on too little gasket material. Taking the cover off to reapply gasket material is a pain but has been done by members here from the front of the engine, without having to pull the oil pan, which is what the factory manual implies. The valve cover leak surprises me, but I think you have to remove that to get to the timing cover anyway. Neither leak implies further things wrong with your engine unless you ran it without coolant.

The transmission leak might be the rear seal, if you have the auto. That too has been a common issue, but it is very easy to drop the drive shaft, pull the transmission shaft and replace the seal. The only issue here is that some members have found the replacement seal also failed and the shaft itself was defective, so watch for that. Your warranty will be useful. Other than that, again, your truck will be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the replyTurDonor, and yes I want to clarify that it is the timing chain cover. I believe timing belt replacement is at 90k, since they are taking everything off should I consider replacing timing belt and water pump. I have 63k on the truck now?

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
toddh, you don't have a belt, you have a chain that doesn't need replacement. If you have the V6, (which I think you do with a TRD sport?) then you can look in the oil filler tube with a flashlight and see it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts