Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and start working on my Tacoma. I don't normally do this so I will preface this with that.

I just changed my oil on my 08 Tacoma (4.0 liter) for the first time. I made much more of a mess than I had hoped. So I have a few questions about the whole procedure.

1) Reading the dip stick. There are two dots on the end of the dip stick. Where on the dip stick should the oil be when fulling filled? I read through the owners manual, search online but couldn't find what I was looking for.

2) When taking off the oil filter, there was still a lot of oil in it and it spilled. I have cleaned it up which a bunch of rags, etc. Are there any techniques to minimize the mess that is created?

Thanks for getting back with me.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
You guys have inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and start working on my Tacoma. I don't normally do this so I will preface this with that.

I just changed my oil on my 08 Tacoma (4.0 liter) for the first time. I made much more of a mess than I had hoped. So I have a few questions about the whole procedure.

1) Reading the dip stick. There are two dots on the end of the dip stick. Where on the dip stick should the oil be when fulling filled? I read through the owners manual, search online but couldn't find what I was looking for.

2) When taking off the oil filter, there was still a lot of oil in it and it spilled. I have cleaned it up which a bunch of rags, etc. Are there any techniques to minimize the mess that is created?

Thanks for getting back with me.
If you search "oil change" in topics only in the 2005+ section you will get more info that you can shake a stick at.

here is one

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197066&highlight=Oil+Change

·
Registered
261 Posts
1) Anywhere between the two should be fine. If you put in the recommended amount it should be about 3/4s of the way up between the two dots. Perfectionists make sure it's right on the top dot. Doubt there's any difference there.

2) Let it drain longer? And, underneath that small silver cup just beneath the filter there is a drain valve. Just get a large mouth bottle or large yogurt container underneath it and pull the rubber piece off the end. Then unscrew the filter and let it drain into that cup...it should funnel right into your container. Hope that helps.

You will most likely get a little bit on your fingertips from pulling the rubber piece, but that should be all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I thought I had read something about this in the past but couldn't find it again.

Thanks for a quick response. You have put my mind at ease.

r/Jim

1) Anywhere between the two should be fine. If you put in the recommended amount it should be about 3/4s of the way up between the two dots. Perfectionists make sure it's right on the top dot. Doubt there's any difference there.

2) Let it drain longer? And, underneath that small silver cup just beneath the filter there is a drain valve. Just get a large mouth bottle or large yogurt container underneath it and pull the rubber piece off the end. Then unscrew the filter and let it drain into that cup...it should funnel right into your container. Hope that helps.

You will most likely get a little bit on your fingertips from pulling the rubber piece, but that should be all.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
Congrats on NOT removing your tranny drain plug when changing your oil :clap::clap:

Trust me...it's happened!

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
Congrats on NOT removing your tranny drain plug when changing your oil :clap::clap:

Trust me...it's happened!

Does this ring true for both manual and auto? I have yet to get under a Taco so I can't go look at mine because it's not here yet. :(

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
^^^ No I've never head of it happening with the manual. I think the manual's drain plug is on the side instead of the bottom like the auto is so it's more difficult to mistake.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must say that I am very pleased with the oil change. I switched from dino to Penzoil Platinum 5w30. The engine runs smoother and quieter and feels a lot better and responsive. This is my second oil change at 5500 miles. So we'll see how long this "feels" this way before the next change.

·
Georgia
1,181 Posts
Sand the dipstick with 150 grit sandpaper. Between the marks, across the stick. It will make oil reading much easier. Install a Fumoto drain valve--no more bolts to undo to drain the oil.

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
I must say that I am very pleased with the oil change. I switched from dino to Penzoil Platinum 5w30. The engine runs smoother and quieter and feels a lot better and responsive. This is my second oil change at 5500 miles. So we'll see how long this "feels" this way before the next change.
That's what I use. Just did it yesterday, actually. That oil flows out of there like a damn fire hose so unless you cover everything in the immediate vicinity, you're going to get some spillage. I think I'm going to switch to a bucket or something with higher sides than my drain pan next time.

·
One with the Force
1,521 Posts
Does this ring true for both manual and auto? I have yet to get under a Taco so I can't go look at mine because it's not here yet. :(

No, I think what happened was someone confused the oil pan for the tranny pan. Manual transmissions do not have the pan, therefore you shouldnt get confused. On the manual there is just a bolt up against the tranny housing.

Hope that helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts