Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So my mechanic said my CEL diagnosis is that either or both the spark plugs and the ignition coils need to be replaced. I haven't changed the spark plugs in a while.

1. Should I change everything or just start off with the spark plugs and see whether the CEL comes on again? Don't want to destroy my catalytic converter, obviously.

2. Is it okay buying the cheapest spark plugs I can find at a big box store? My corolla is at 185K miles, and I'm not looking to spend big bucks on maintenance that are inevitable at this point. Plus I plan to sell the car within this year or next.

Thank you

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,415 Posts
What are the codes and if $5 USD per spark plug is too expensive, then I don't know what is. DENSO ONLY!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I told the dude to tell me the exact code, but he comes back and simply tells me there is a spark plug or ignition coil issue. I asked him what the code was, and he, with some pondering, told me P0354, which is ignition coil, but I don't think that was what he saw on the OBD scanner. I don't know. I wanted to grab my own scanner before going to mechanic, because I knew something like this would happen, but it seemed not worth it.

I'm Canadian, so our prices are a bit higher.

·
Registered
2010 Corolla Altis XRS
88 Posts
Maybe you should grab your scanner....and confirm yourself of the issue. This will help you....before you start buying expensive parts that you really don't need.

PS.... i wouldn't go back to this shady mechanic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean, I don't distrust that it's a spark plug or ignition coil issue, because I did feel a misfire when the CEL turned on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
3 weeks ago my Corolla misfired and almost stalled. The CEL came on with code P0353, which is an ignition coil in cylinder #3. I learned a long time ago from a pretty good mechanic that you always, always reset a CEL and see if it happens again. I reset it then and it has run smoothly since with no light. I would advise resetting the light and monitor (especially if no symptoms).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, do I need to worry about the tightness once I put in the new plugs, such as using a torque wrench at specified ft lb OR hand tightening is fine? Am I better off taking it to the mechanic to install for peace of mind?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,878 Posts
Torque setting isn't high. If I recall correctly, it's 7 inch pounds. But Google it just to be safe.

Whatever you do, do not use the ratchet until it is seated. Reason being, the ratchet might tilt the spark plug and cross thread. Just use an extension bar and the spark plug socket.

Edit : hand tighten the spark plug then use the ratchet. Should be between 1/4-1/2 turn past.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome thanks!

To confirm, Does "Denso 4504" Platinum Plug fit the 2009 Corolla CE 1.8L engine?

Guess what I'm asking is, what's the list of spark plugs by Denso (& NGK) that are platinum or Iritium or both for the 10th Corolla Generation.

What I got are:
NGK ILKAR7B11 (4912)
Denso SC20HR11 (3444)
OEM Toyota 90919-01275

·
Registered
2010 Corolla Altis XRS
88 Posts
Awesome thanks!

To confirm, Does "Denso 4504" Platinum Plug fit the 2009 Corolla CE 1.8L engine?

Guess what I'm asking is, what's the list of spark plugs by Denso (& NGK) that are platinum or Iritium or both for the 10th Corolla Generation.

What I got are:
NGK ILKAR7B11 (4912)
Denso SC20HR11 (3444)
OEM Toyota 90919-01275
Denso 4711 Iridium TT Spark Plug

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The best thing to do, is to swap the coil to a different cylinder and see if it follows and gives you a P0301-304. This tells you which cylinder has the misfire.

Don't use any kind of coil other than Denso. Most of Toyotas engines are picky to other brand.
To confirm 75aces, which is Cylinder D Ignition pack? And do I just swap with any other cylinder's pack?

·
straight cash homie
20,376 Posts
Denso TT's work fine and are really only less than a $1 more. I've had no issues.
Whoops I confused them with the IX Iridium Power plugs. Those I wouldn't bother with. I've not tried the TTs, but then you only change these every 100K or so. My RAV4 came with regular Denso platinums, then I put the OE Toyota plugs aka Iridium Long Lifes in there, which happen to be the stock plugs in most Camrys. I've yet to change the original plugs in my Corolla since I just passed 110K.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,415 Posts
Whoops I confused them with the IX Iridium Power plugs. Those I wouldn't bother with. I've not tried the TTs, but then you only change these every 100K or so. My RAV4 came with regular Denso platinums, then I put the OE Toyota plugs aka Iridium Long Lifes in there, which happen to be the stock plugs in most Camrys. I've yet to change the original plugs in my Corolla since I just passed 110K.
Not sure about the IX's... otherwise my TT's were out-of-stock on Rock Auto when I was ordering it so they are pretty popular.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts