Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Update: So p3051 happened; meaning that the coil swap I did confirms the ignition coil malfunctioned. Changed the spark plugs with NGK G-powers, applied anti-seize. No issues at this point. Probably going to change the pack if I get that error again.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,729 Posts
Update: So p3051 happened; meaning that the coil swap I did confirms the ignition coil malfunctioned. Changed the spark plugs with NGK G-powers, applied anti-seize. No issues at this point. Probably going to change the pack if I get that error again.
And that was what you wanted so you could isolate the issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure about the IX's... otherwise my TT's were out-of-stock on Rock Auto when I was ordering it so they are pretty popular.
I did a spark plug replacement on my 2009 1.8L matrix manual a few months ago. I used autolite ultrafine iridium plugs. fuel efficiency shot up to 40mpg. You should use the NGK brand that the car came with but I think autolite should not be bad. Reagrding torquing, the plugs come with the exact specification and how many degrees to tighten after hand tightening is done. I would say dont use any anti sieze if the threads on the spark plugs are shiny. With anti sieze you may end up over tightening them and eventually stripping them. Anti sieze can be used if the threads are dull or blackish.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,729 Posts
I did a spark plug replacement on my 2009 1.8L matrix manual a few months ago. I used autolite ultrafine iridium plugs. fuel efficiency shot up to 40mpg. You should use the NGK brand that the car came with but I think autolite should not be bad. Reagrding torquing, the plugs come with the exact specification and how many degrees to tighten after hand tightening is done. I would say dont use any anti sieze if the threads on the spark plugs are shiny. With anti sieze you may end up over tightening them and eventually stripping them. Anti sieze can be used if the threads are dull or blackish.
If your old plugs needed replacement just installing new plugs could help and you would want to track MPG over a longer period. There are so many things that can affect MPG as we all see variation from tank to tank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If your old plugs needed replacement just installing new plugs could help and you would want to track MPG over a longer period. There are so many things that can affect MPG as we all see variation from tank to tank.
That’s true. I have been maintains a record. Overall it seems to be running good

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So either I buy a brand new Denso OEM ignition coil, or grab (4) used ones for about the same price

What should I do? Only one ignition coil is bad at the moment. Used ones are from a private seller, so probably not tested

·
Registered
2010 Corolla Altis XRS
88 Posts
So this is a no brainer.....just go grab a new set of Denso OEM...and be done with it.....as this thread is getting quite old and redundant.

·
Registered
2014 Corolla, 1992 MR2
18 Posts
My personal opinion: Unless you yourself can visually confirm the used ones are coming out of a lower-mileage car and are OEM (ie. you go to the junk yard, test, and pull them yourself), I would replace the single bad coil with a new Denso one. If you get another coil code on a different one in the near future, you’ll know what you need to do - at that point, I’d do the remaining 3.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Never mind, the seller made it seem the single, brand new ignition coil was Denso/OEM, but now he clarified its some DLA brand, so not OEM.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,729 Posts
After searching through the forums, the consensus is to replace with Denso/OEM ignition coil. Aftermarket is risky.
I'll second this. I would only replace with a Denso part. Replace one now if that's all you can afford but don't be surprised when the next weakest one fails.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Just to learn new things,

How to know whether it's better to change the coil/plug on boot, versus the entire ignition pack? Is the general recommendation to change the entire pack because we don't know exactly what the problem is with the ignition pack? Boot isn't cracked

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,729 Posts
Just to learn new things,

How to know whether it's better to change the coil/plug on boot, versus the entire ignition pack? Is the general recommendation to change the entire pack because we don't know exactly what the problem is with the ignition pack? Boot isn't cracked
I would always replace the entire coil pack.

Reactions: damianj6
61 - 79 of 79 Posts