Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
,Hello all, new to the forum

Looking for some assistance please.
My son has a 2009 Camry Hybrid with only 68K.
Car is in great condition, have not had any issues since we purchased a year ago.

Last week, my son was driving and said he heard a loud popping noise from the rear of the car, like someone hit the car.
The car stalled out while driving @ 20mph, Check VSC, Check Hybrid system, service engine soon light came on, and the traction warning light.
Car took three attempts to get it started, then proceeded to stall 3 more times while driving home.
Started the car the next morning, all warnings were gone and car drove as normal.
20 minutes later, same deal - stalling - lights on dash and warnings
This time though when it was restarted, the car would move at 1mph or nothing(like the trans was shot).
Then after a few minutes, the car would go into gear and start moving again.

Took the car to my nearest Toyota dealer and they did a $130 diagnostic check.
Received a call this morning that the car needs a new transmission and the cost was only 7,000 dollars.
Was informed that they cannot repair the transmission, they have to replace it.
Service advisor said normally these cars are very reliable, only have seen this issue twice in 15 years...
Codes off of diagnostic report were P0A78(Drive Motor "A" inverter performance) and P0A90 -( Drive Motor "A" performance)

So what to do now...
Obviously I am not spending 7K at the dealer to replace the trans.
So can this be repaired and what is the cost of this repair?
Looking for some guidance/suggestions -anyone else have this issue?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
,Hello all, new to the forum

Looking for some assistance please.
My son has a 2009 Camry Hybrid with only 68K.
Car is in great condition, have not had any issues since we purchased a year ago.

Last week, my son was driving and said he heard a loud popping noise from the rear of the car, like someone hit the car.
The car stalled out while driving @ 20mph, Check VSC, Check Hybrid system, service engine soon light came on, and the traction warning light.
Car took three attempts to get it started, then proceeded to stall 3 more times while driving home.
Started the car the next morning, all warnings were gone and car drove as normal.
20 minutes later, same deal - stalling - lights on dash and warnings
This time though when it was restarted, the car would move at 1mph or nothing(like the trans was shot).
Then after a few minutes, the car would go into gear and start moving again.

Took the car to my nearest Toyota dealer and they did a $130 diagnostic check.
Received a call this morning that the car needs a new transmission and the cost was only 7,000 dollars.
Was informed that they cannot repair the transmission, they have to replace it.
Service advisor said normally these cars are very reliable, only have seen this issue twice in 15 years...
Codes off of diagnostic report were P0A78(Drive Motor "A" inverter performance) and P0A90 -( Drive Motor "A" performance)

So what to do now...
Obviously I am not spending 7K at the dealer to replace the trans.
So can this be repaired and what is the cost of this repair?
Looking for some guidance/suggestions -anyone else have this issue?

Thanks in advance
You can Call Toyota Motor Center North America and ack to talk with a person about this issue. It could be still under Warranty, or they can help you with getting a Transmission a lot cheaper through the Dealer. they will not promise you that they can , but they will try to. You should try.

·
Camry Freak
1,103 Posts
Isn't this the same post that you made in the Hybrid Camry forum?

It's a 2009- ten years old. It's no longer covered by any warranty from Toyota.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts