Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Was reading through some threads that had started back in time, and ran across a post about running wires down the A pillar that I also saw (similar concern) from someone else recently. The posters were worried about running wire down the A pillar due to the side curtain airbags.

Take a look at my A pillar (2009 Camry, so can't state this is the same for all Toyotas, but I imagine it is):

The airbag itself starts way up the pillar, and runs under the headliner edge above the door. It blows mostly down from the top of the headliner. If you watch videos where someone is removing the headliner after that airbag deploys you see a tear in the headliner about where the front and back seats meet. No wire ran like I did will interfere with the airbag, nor will it get blown down if it deploys. If you run a wire/harness across that top edge of the headliner then you will want to watch where you tuck it.

Just a nighttime shot of this bad girl - tonight:

·
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Rotor Day!!

It became more and more noticeable: a shudder in the steering wheel when braking going down the steep grades I traverse daily to and from work. Since the rotors were factory (so almost 250k on them) I figured it was time.

I found I could get OEM rotors off McGeorge Toyota on-line parts for under $53 each. Great price! BUT: $48 shipping. Made it more expensive than picking up a pair at NAPA. So I went with NAPA. About $119 for the pair. Picked them up today, and got to it.

Broke the lugs, setup all my tools, and got ready to jack and put it on stands.

I prepped to hang the caliper on a bungee cord: setup the cord and hooked it to the bottom of the caliper, then removed the 17mm caliper bolts and set the caliper to the side, hanging from the cord. On one wheel the rotor was already loose: I had to hold it in place with two lug nuts so I could wrestle the caliper off.

Rotor off. You can either bang on the rotor with a soft hammer (what I did for the one still stuck on), or you can thread in two bolts into the bolt holes on the rotor to push it off the knuckle):

New rotors tend to come with a light oil on them to protect against flash rusting. These came sealed in a bag and wrapped tightly in paper, but I hit them with brake clean and wiped them down. Both sides.

Set the rotor on, and held it in place with two lugs while I secured the caliper back on. Back go the 17mm caliper bolts, torqued down.

Here are two images of the factory rotors. Enough wear on them to have a notable lip. You can also feel some slight warping on the rotor. I don't have a gauge to test, but it was not perfect of course.

Wheels back on, lugs torqued, tools put away, and time to test drive it. Hit a road I could ramp up some speed then do some hard braking a few times, then normal breaking. Was about 73, bright skies. I rolled the from windows down, put on some Rob Zombie - Dragula - and had fun. Worked perfect! Monday I get a new windshield.

·
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Built a calculation sheet in my Excel workbook I track the repairs/replace/mods in. I plug in the ODO reading and get the mileage for all my key systems (powertrain,engine, suspension, fluids, etc.)

Example of what it tells me as of today:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Built a calculation sheet in my Excel workbook I track the repairs/replace/mods in. I plug in the ODO reading and get the mileage for all my key systems (powertrain,engine, suspension, fluids, etc.)

Example of what it tells me as of today:

That's a great idea! I keep a electronic notepad of all the maintenance things I do. I also try to scan all the receipts (though I'm behind on that chore) so I can index them and have them available for those "lifetime warranty" type of things.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
That's a great idea! I keep a electronic notepad of all the maintenance things I do. I also try to scan all the receipts (though I'm behind on that chore) so I can index them and have them available for those "lifetime warranty" type of things.
Seeing the mileage, dates, parts info, description, and amount paid (without taxes or shipping) is interesting too.

Attachments

·
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Seeing the mileage, dates, parts info, description, and amount paid (without taxes or shipping) is interesting too.
I keep all that as well. I record everything, and then have the sheet to make it clear how many miles a part/system has on it. I am about to put in some conditional formatting so the values have a heat map: green to red. When in yellow I know it will be time to plan to change. By red it is due to be changed. I'll post that up as well.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,419 Posts
Rotor Day!!

It became more and more noticeable: a shudder in the steering wheel when braking going down the steep grades I traverse daily to and from work. Since the rotors were factory (so almost 250k on them) I figured it was time.

I found I could get OEM rotors off McGeorge Toyota on-line parts for under $53 each. Great price! BUT: $48 shipping. Made it more expensive than picking up a pair at NAPA. So I went with NAPA. About $119 for the pair. Picked them up today, and got to it.

Broke the lugs, setup all my tools, and got ready to jack and put it on stands.

I prepped to hang the caliper on a bungee cord: setup the cord and hooked it to the bottom of the caliper, then removed the 17mm caliper bolts and set the caliper to the side, hanging from the cord. On one wheel the rotor was already loose: I had to hold it in place with two lug nuts so I could wrestle the caliper off.

Rotor off. You can either bang on the rotor with a soft hammer (what I did for the one still stuck on), or you can thread in two bolts into the bolt holes on the rotor to push it off the knuckle):

New rotors tend to come with a light oil on them to protect against flash rusting. These came sealed in a bag and wrapped tightly in paper, but I hit them with brake clean and wiped them down. Both sides.

Set the rotor on, and held it in place with two lugs while I secured the caliper back on. Back go the 17mm caliper bolts, torqued down.

Here are two images of the factory rotors. Enough wear on them to have a notable lip. You can also feel some slight warping on the rotor. I don't have a gauge to test, but it was not perfect of course.

Wheels back on, lugs torqued, tools put away, and time to test drive it. Hit a road I could ramp up some speed then do some hard braking a few times, then normal breaking. Was about 73, bright skies. I rolled the from windows down, put on some Rob Zombie - Dragula - and had fun. Worked perfect! Monday I get a new windshield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQuihD0hoI
Very nice work, my rotors and pads are pretty worn too, I have rotors and pads on order, this will be my next thing to do when they come in next week. I get a shutter in the steering wheel so I know my rotors are warped. Then my car should be all ready for spring.

Sent from my A622GL using Tapatalk

·
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
New windshield today!

Here is what I have been living with for a long time now (first cracks started when I was still driving it a few years ago):

There were two cracks running across the entire windshield, some divots, another crack on the driver side. Just a mess. Not to mention tens of thousands of miles of road wear resulting in small chips that refracted light badly. But now this:

It is so pristine and flawless it is like there is no windshield. Amazing. The first ding I just may cry. But, at $168 out the door - I can do this every year to keep it in tip top shape.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,419 Posts
Nice, I had to have mine replaced last fall by safelite. Its nice seeing out of a sparkling brand new clean windshield !!!!!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
New windshield today!

Here is what I have been living with for a long time now (first cracks started when I was still driving it a few years ago):

There were two cracks running across the entire windshield, some divots, another crack on the driver side. Just a mess. Not to mention tens of thousands of miles of road wear resulting in small chips that refracted light badly. But now this:

It is so pristine and flawless it is like there is no windshield. Amazing. The first ding I just may cry. But, at $168 out the door - I can do this every year to keep it in tip top shape.
I was driving up north once to see a car show. One tiny little rock or may just the "force" managed to cause a 3 inch crack on the middle left side of the wind shield. Roughly in the same spot as yours. As we drove, it slowly got longer and longer. So to prevent it from growing I was able to get a RainX Windshield Repair Kit and I applied it in the parking lot and drove with it until we got to our destination. Got to our destination, cleaned it a bit, added it again, then let it sit until we came back. Has not grown since.

Worse part is that I had cleaned the windshield with either a razor or... I forget what it's called. That thing with all the metal fibers used for preparing a surface for painting or cleaning.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow....$168 sounds like a great deal. My son has a cracked windshield in his '02 Camry. Haven't looked into the cost to replace it. May have to do a little scouting.

Did you go with a chain store or was it an independent shop?

·
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Nice, I had to have mine replaced last fall by safelite. Its nice seeing out of a sparkling brand new clean windshield !!!!!

Safelite was quoting costs more than 2x what this company offered. They wanted $340 plus tax for this Camry glass. The company I used was $168 out the door. Other area options were about $200, with the best price for my 2015 4Runner at $336. This company will put in the glass for the Runner for $170. Hmmm.

·
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Wow....$168 sounds like a great deal. My son has a cracked windshield in his '02 Camry. Haven't looked into the cost to replace it. May have to do a little scouting.

Did you go with a chain store or was it an independent shop?

Local store, not a chain. Price is almost too good to be true, but if the windshield gives me issues (cracks for no apparent reason) I will press them. Another local place that is a chain will do the same for $191.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,419 Posts
Safelite was quoting costs more than 2x what this company offered. They wanted $340 plus tax for this Camry glass. The company I used was $168 out the door. Other area options were about $200, with the best price for my 2015 4Runner at $336. This company will put in the glass for the Runner for $170. Hmmm.
You got a great deal, I was fortunate my insurance company covered mine 100% so I paid nothing out of pocket, otherwise I would do what you did, search for the best price.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,419 Posts
Even after all these years, all the miles, and all the trials and tribulations - she still looks pretty damn nice with a cheap wash and wax

She looks very nice, I enjoy detailing ,kudos for a great job.

·
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
On this occasion I just drove it through a car wash, so my effort was minimal! In a few weeks I am going to attack all the pits/road rash/rock chips - sand out the rust and dab in the correction paint via the Toyota pen. I'll then sand it down to level, then figure if I want to try to sand out all the clear coat and do a home paint job (top coat) and take it to a place to clear coat it, or just sand down all the clear coat and take it to a place to top coat and clear coat it. Thinking.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,419 Posts
On this occasion I just drove it through a car wash, so my effort was minimal! In a few weeks I am going to attack all the pits/road rash/rock chips - sand out the rust and dab in the correction paint via the Toyota pen. I'll then sand it down to level, then figure if I want to try to sand out all the clear coat and do a home paint job (top coat) and take it to a place to clear coat it, or just sand down all the clear coat and take it to a place to top coat and clear coat it. Thinking.
How many miles on your Camry ??, it looks like the body is in great shape. If you can afford it getting either a new clear coat or a new base coat clear coat it would be well worth it since you have done the motor and transmission. I beats a car payment.

·
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
How many miles on your Camry ??, it looks like the body is in great shape. If you can afford it getting either a new clear coat or a new base coat clear coat it would be well worth it since you have done the motor and transmission. I beats a car payment.

Almost at 248k. I plan to keep her for some time. I have some bumper work to do still, and finish pulling a dent. New paint and clear coat are in the future. Structurally she is super sound as I have rebuilt most of the major systems (suspension, tranny, engine).

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,419 Posts
Almost at 248k. I plan to keep her for some time. I have some bumper work to do still, and finish pulling a dent. New paint and clear coat are in the future. Structurally she is super sound as I have rebuilt most of the major systems (suspension, tranny, engine).
As you mentioned before, you have the exact same car as mine, color and all !!!!

Glenn

81 - 100 of 119 Posts
About this Discussion
118 Replies
10 Participants
SFCamry
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing