Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Why not use something like a carpet cleaner machine? Need a super super strong sucker.

If you haven't put a hole in it, you have not try hard enough. I usually try all the safe stuff, than bring out the big gun like gasoline and nail polish remover. LOL By the time I'm done, there won't be any fabric left for the stain to stain. LOL
I used my Bissel Green Machine on the seat a few times. That is generally less effective than hitting it with a spot remover and agitating it with a brush or something. And then the full on washing machine soak and all that tends to be a pretty aggressive attack, better than a carpet machine. The stain just really blew out that fabric. And I'd rather not do the nuclear option: no stain, but no seat cover either!

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
This stuff is amazing:

It is getting out the stain on the seat. That stain, to refresh, evaded several spot cleaners and three washing machine trips. Here it is reduced some:

I've hit it again, letting it dry. But check what it did to the rear hump -

Before:

After: A good spray, four or so seconds of scrubbing with finger tip, and a blotting

Going to let it all dry then run my Bissell on it with just hot water, pull out loose dirt and left over cleaner. It says you don't even need to vacuum but I'll do it anyway.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
Seats look much better and cleaner.
Glenn

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Does "fresh" have a smell? I like no smell. I don't like the new car smell too.
Fresh smell means no ass sweat, whatever the hell gets ground in there, Downy from the wash smell. New car smell is funny: it is VOC out gassing from the adhesives and trim (dash) and all that. I don't want a heavy smell of anything in the car, but the light scents from some fresheners is nice.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
X - Camry '07 SE
7,057 Posts
Fresh smell means no ass sweat, whatever the hell gets ground in there, Downy from the wash smell. New car smell is funny: it is VOC out gassing from the adhesives and trim (dash) and all that. I don't want a heavy smell of anything in the car, but the light scents from some fresheners is nice.
How about dry leaf smell? Like autumn leaf stuck to your shoes and drop in the car.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
After the second scrubbing with the Folex and a soft toothbrush to really agitate it:

Not much of that stain left visible. Calling it done, is vastly better than prior.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
X - Camry '07 SE
7,057 Posts
I miss fabric seats. If only there is a way to combine both... the easy cleaning of leather and the not so dependent of temperature.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I don't like leather due to the heat and the fact that I am a furnace - I don't enjoy getting out of the car with back sweat. The fabric seats keep it cool enough, and it is not scorching when you sit on it in the hot summers. Cold seats never stay cold with me after a few moments.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
30.9 mpg on a 107 mile tank. Always seems to give better mileage if you fill it at around the quarter mark, but still, that is the best mpg I have clocked in many years. Yay for new A/F and O2 sensors.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Got tired (there is a pun there) of the cheaper rubber on the wheels. When you do 25,000 or so miles a year, tires become a thing you really feel the pain of. Done with the < 70k tread life tires. Spent a bit more today since we have to do a long unplanned trip soon.

Continental Control Contact Touring A/S. 70k mile warranty, so maybe I can squeeze a bit over 2 years out of these. Did all four at once, which is also something I typically rotated in (two at a time over several months). Think I will discipline myself to rotate them every oil change, get Discount to balance them again since they offer that for free. I was slipping on rainy roads on the old set - no good, was time to get new.

And, the original lugs were expanded and were no longer able to take the 21mm wrench. This is not a good thing when on the road and the tire needs swapping. Got a brand new set for all tires.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,957 Posts
Got tired (there is a pun there) of the cheaper rubber on the wheels. When you do 25,000 or so miles a year, tires become a thing you really feel the pain of. Done with the < 70k tread life tires. Spent a bit more today since we have to do a long unplanned trip soon.

View attachment 293730

Continental Control Contact Touring A/S. 70k mile warranty, so maybe I can squeeze a bit over 2 years out of these. Did all four at once, which is also something I typically rotated in (two at a time over several months). Think I will discipline myself to rotate them every oil change, get Discount to balance them again since they offer that for free. I was slipping on rainy roads on the old set - no good, was time to get new.

And, the original lugs were expanded and were no longer able to take the 21mm wrench. This is not a good thing when on the road and the tire needs swapping. Got a brand new set for all tires.
Let us know how these handle. I've been thinking about Pure Contacts for a long time.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Let us know how these handle. I've been thinking about Pure Contacts for a long time.
I'll have some good data, considering I will need to put around 1,500 miles on them pretty soon, Interstate speed. I'll post up how they sound and handle.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,957 Posts
I'll have some good data, considering I will need to put around 1,500 miles on them pretty soon, Interstate speed. I'll post up how they sound and handle.
Yeah... I am tired of feeling my BFGoodrich Advantage T/A's spinning on damp surfaces.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
Not to thread jack sf's thread. My tires are down to 5-32nds and less and have zero traction in the snow. My inspection is in may. So I have been looking at tires and have looked on tire rack and read their review's. I was looking at the Yokohama Avid GT and the Continental Pure Contact LS, I called Tire Rack told them what I drove and where I live and they recommended the Pure Contact LS. So that is what I'll be going with in the spring. BTW sfcamry, nice tires and puddle lights.
Glenn

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Around here, we get snow and ice, but it is fleeting. There may be eight days a year that has actual snow and ice on the roads. Be there one day, gone the next kind of thing. Rarely is there any real amount on the roads for a real amount of time. So I never opt for snow tires, good all season works great for me.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
Around here, we get snow and ice, but it is fleeting. There may be eight days a year that has actual snow and ice on the roads. Be there one day, gone the next kind of thing. Rarely is there any real amount on the roads for a real amount of time. So I never opt for snow tires, good all season works great for me.
The Continental Contact Pure LS are an grand touring all season tire too, that happens to perform well in the snow too. I did have a dedicated snow tire , Bridgestone Blizzacks but the tire shop told me that they would not put on the snows, too worn out and that my currant all seasons would not pass my state inspection in May so I can't afford to buy 2 sets of tires so i am going to get a good set of all seasons for my climate. We get 40-100" of snow every winter
Glenn

161 - 180 of 180 Posts