Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Group!... I have found about 12 sets of instructions out there and can't seem to get any to work. I have successfully programmed the key fob to remote unlock/lock the doors... now I need to program the key to actually START the car. Has anyone does this on a 2009 Corolla?

·
Registered
218 Posts
As you know, you can program the fobs to lock/unlock the doors . . . but you can't (easily) program the transponder key. It takes a Techstream or something similar (something made in China that might or might not work?), so generally it must be done by a dealer since most of us are not willing to put out the big $$'s to buy a Techstream. Some locksmiths might be able to do it, but you'd have to call around.

Also, you have to provide one of the "master" keys (I believe either of the original black keys, but not the gray valet key) to make more copies. There might be a way without a master key but it's considered a last resort and undoubtedly a lot more expensive procedure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
funny, I lost a key and was gonna buy a new transponder on ebay, have a locksmith cut it and try this: (its the only instruction set I found..did you try this yet...does it work?)

First you will need to purchase a blank Toyota transponder key. You can do this from the dealership, a locksmith, or an online source such as eBay. Once you have the key, take the blank key and the master key to a locksmith that he or she can duplicate the key. This will be much cheaper than the dealership.

Now that you have the newly cut key and the master key, you can program the Toyota transponder key. Sit in the driver's side of the Toyota vehicle. Press and release the brake and gas pedal simultaneously.

Insert the master transponder key. Do not turn it. Push and release the gas pedal 5 times within at least 15 seconds of inserting the master key.

Press and release the brake pedal 6 times within 20 seconds of completing step 3, then remove the master transponder key.

Insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition, but do not turn. Press the gas pedal once.

Wait up to 2 minutes or whenever the security light on the dashboard turns off. Once the light goes off, remove the new transponder key and press the brake pedal once. The new transponder key should now be programmed. Test the key by attempting to start the engine. If the engine does not start, repeat the steps above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Programming Problems

About 10 years ago I successfully programmed duplicate master keys for my Tacoma and assumed that I could do the same for my recently acquired 2009 Matrix. While I was able to program the remote lock/unlock feature, I cannot get the master control (or whatever it's called) to recognize the new key. I have tried several versions of the pressing and releasing brake and gas pedals (including the one posted above) with zero results. I would really hate to let the Toyota dealer rip me off, but if there is no alternative, I may have to. I get nervous only having one functional key for the car.
So I am looking for a definitive answer to the question "is it possible to program a duplicate without bending over for the dealer?"
Appreciate any leads, links, or help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I hate to have it look like everybody is ignoring the additional posts in this thread to programming the transponder key at home, but I'm quite sure that's because it can't be done. I looked into it a few years ago because I would like to have 4 keys. It doesn't look like that's gonna happen because I'm too cheap to pay the dealer.

If someone comes up with a home procedure FOR THIS GENERATION Toyota, I'd love to know it because I'd use it too.

As I understand it, if you have a "master key" (black plastic) then others can be added relatively easily (dealer, Techstream, maybe some locksmiths?). Maybe that's so the valet can't make a copy from the valet key.

I'm not sure what happens if you don't have a master key but I think it's an opportunity to charge a LOT of money to get it all programmed again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jake...I think you may be right. I would guess that if there were a DIY method for the newer cars that someone somewhere would have posted it. As I'm sure you have, I've spent some hours on the net and can't come up with anything new.

What I know:
Transponder keys can be purchased online (remotesremotes dot com) for less than a fortune
Those keys can be cut by a locksmith who has the equipment (many of the key cutting machines are too small to handle the transponder keys).
Those keys can be programmed for remote control of door locks

What I don't know:
How to get the new key registered with the car's brain. My new key will turn on and will crank the car, but it will not start. In the "on" position things like power windows and radios, etc will work. But I have not found any DIY method for registering the new key with the car.
Since I have had the key cut and programmed as far as the door locks go, all I need is the final step and I have no idea how much Toyota would charge for that one step.
If you don't have a master key (black plastic casing, not gray), Toyota would love to see you as they will tell you that you have to replace the electronic control module, i.e. mortgage your house. In my searching on the net, I did find a reference posted by a locksmith who claimed that replacing the module was not necessary and that he could program new keys. Don't know if true, and can't provide a link.

I'm still searching and hoping; will post if I find anything worthwhile.

·
Registered
44 Posts
2013 Toyota Corolla LE - Replacement Key

I know this thread hasn't had an update in a while but I only have 1 master key and I will be finding a way to get 1 or 2 more created without going to the dealership. I stopped by there tonight and they want $200 for the key and $65 programming fee!!! I seriously asked the guy if he was kidding. He said no but for me to be careful about keys off of eBay. I think I have a new hobby of finding a way around the dealership's rip-off!

·
Registered
1 Posts
funny, I lost a key and was gonna buy a new transponder on ebay, have a locksmith cut it and try this: (its the only instruction set I found..did you try this yet...does it work?)

First you will need to purchase a blank Toyota transponder key. You can do this from the dealership, a locksmith, or an online source such as eBay. Once you have the key, take the blank key and the master key to a locksmith that he or she can duplicate the key. This will be much cheaper than the dealership.

Now that you have the newly cut key and the master key, you can program the Toyota transponder key. Sit in the driver's side of the Toyota vehicle. Press and release the brake and gas pedal simultaneously.

Insert the master transponder key. Do not turn it. Push and release the gas pedal 5 times within at least 15 seconds of inserting the master key.

Press and release the brake pedal 6 times within 20 seconds of completing step 3, then remove the master transponder key.

Insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition, but do not turn. Press the gas pedal once.

Wait up to 2 minutes or whenever the security light on the dashboard turns off. Once the light goes off, remove the new transponder key and press the brake pedal once. The new transponder key should now be programmed. Test the key by attempting to start the engine. If the engine does not start, repeat the steps above.

I tried this for my Toyota Corolla without any luck. I'm not sure if certain models may not allow this. My Toyota the most basic stick shift model you can get it so I am not sure if anybody had luck with another option for 2010 Corollas

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
There are several ways to accomplish the same thing, but buying equipment and coding knowledge is needed.

I say this, because if not careful, you can basically brick your car and will need the dealer to fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts