Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Crash Test Result - why only four stars?

I was seeing the Crash Test results and I was surprised that though 2003 to 2008 Corolla got 5 star for frontal driver as well as passenger crash test, but 2009 got only 4 stars? Any specific reasons? However, 2009 corolla has 5 star for driver side impact as compared to 4 star taring of 2003-2008 corolla probably due to the side air bag/curtain air bag.
Here is the 2009 corolla crash test result from http://www.safercar.gov
Frontal Driver Rating - 4 Star
Frontal Passenger Rating - 4 Star
Side Driver Rating - 5 Star
Side Rear Passenger Rating - 4 Star
Rollover 2 Wheel Drive Rating - - 4 Star
Rollover 4 Wheel Drive Rating ---

Please comment why they got only 4 star for frontal crash while their predecessaors used to get 5 star? are these ranking reliable and repeatable or is there any shortcoming in safety standards of 2009 corolla as compared to 2003-2008 corolla inspite of addition of curtain air bags.
- Neal Pressley

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does any body care for crash test result or its me only?

Does any body care for crash test result or its me only?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
09 Is a completely new vehicle design. It is possible that the design simply isn't as crashworthy as the prior model. It wouldn't be the first time for Toyota (or any other carmaker) to have this happen.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
do you really worry about crash test rating for a low priced car? in my own opinion i would spend more money if i really want a car with the best crash test rating.

·
2009 Corolla XRS
314 Posts
I'm kinda disappointed. The Honda Civic is a 5 star rating and I think the Honda Fit is to...on most categories. Why not the larger Corolla? I wonder by how much it lost out...it may be slight.

·
Registered
400 Posts
hmm.. good point but.. 4 stars is good!! dont get me wrong.. 5 is better.. but 4 is good!

·
Registered
43 Posts
do you really worry about crash test rating for a low priced car? in my own opinion i would spend more money if i really want a car with the best crash test rating.
Sure, why not?

What about folks who can't afford more? Should safety be only a concern (or feature) for wealthy folks?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Sure, why not?

What about folks who can't afford more? Should safety be only a concern (or feature) for wealthy folks?
what i meant was considering the corolla as a cheap car and comparing 4 star crash ratings to a 5 star crash ratings is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but the difference is:

5 star frontal crash is < 10% chance of serious injury
4 star frontal crash is 11-20% change of serious injury

That's significantly wider range than, for example, side impact which is < 5% for 5 stars and 6-10% for 4 stars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should we care for crash test?
==================
With so many incidents of accidents happening due to drunk driving or inexperienced driving, its good idea to have a car where you can surive a crash. The accident may happen due to the fault of other party, so even if you are best driver, we are not safe on the road.

Does safety come only with price?
======================
Its not only that expensive cars are rated five stars. In fact, Camry, Corolla, CR-V and many more which are not very expensive are five stars. The questions which I am trying to raise is 2009 corolla vs 2003-2008 corolla. If safety is my top concern, than probably I will go for like 2004 Corolla than 2009 corolla and surprisingly save money too.
In fact, it was little bit surprising for me that a newer model of corolla (2009) is being rated less than an older ones and wanted to get it confirmed. As some body pointed out, I think the issue might be with the new design.

Another clarification:
=============
Crash test is not about how much impact was on car body, but it is on dummies which are kept as driver and passenger. So, its about safety of occupants rather than car.

·
2009 Corolla XRS
314 Posts
Just to make things a bit more complicated...

Euro NCAP ratings which are also quite tough and they give the 2007 Corolla (of which our 09 is basically the same) a 5 star rating.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/toyota_corolla_2007/285.aspx

I'm not an expert on this at all...but I would guess that we have the same level of protection. Just that the test measures and gives points for different things.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
they made the front most part of the 09 corolla softer upon impact in consideration of having to meet an accident with a pedestrian. unlike the former year models that the front most part of the corolla was hard enough

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
joeylgarcia
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing