Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someonebplease tell me what has to be done to program an ignition key. I switched from a key with buttons to a black rubber no button type they are all dot keys. I do have 2 maater keys to work with. I notice they sell a little plactic thing you plug into the obd port while you program. I though it might have to do with pin 4 and 13.. The problem is getting the car into to programming mode. I have tried the key in and out 4 times method with no luck. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated.

09 camry le 2.4 auto

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know you've said you've tried it, but try it again, following these instructions to the letter:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Programming a Toyota Transponder Key Blank with the Dot/Dimple on the key blade - WITHOUT using any OBD Dongle Device for cars from 2004-2011 model years, or most of them.

• Make sure you have a master key, not a valet key, to begin the programming process. You can check that the key you have is a master key by trying to lock and unlock the glove box. Only the master key can do this, a valet key will not.
  • Get in the car and close the doors. Pay attention to the security light (it’s located in different locations depending on the model). When no key is in the ignition it should be blinking. When a valid master key is inserted into the ignition it will immediately go out and stay out. (Another way you can tell if you have a Valet key, not a Master key, is that the security light will stay on for a second or two before extinguishing if it’s a Valet key.)
  • Getting the car into programming mode is a time sensitive operation. If you have a timer it can be helpful to use it, as if you exceed the time limit the process will not work. You have exactly 35 seconds to do the following: Insert your master key in to the ignition, and remove it, 4 times, then insert it a 5th time and leave it inserted. Immediately open and close the driver’s door 6 times. Remove the original key from the ignition immediately. At this point the car is in key programming mode and will remain so for approximately one minute; this is indicated by the security light being on solid. You must now insert the key that’s being programmed into the ignition within 10 seconds after having removed the original.
  • The security light will begin flashing again as the key is being programmed. It will cease flashing once programming is complete, which is generally around that one-minute mark. When you withdraw the key you’ve just programmed the security light should start flashing again. If you insert it again, the security light should immediately extinguish if the programming was successful.
  • If you had the transponder key you programmed already cut, it should now start the car. If not, you will need to take it to a locksmith, hardware store, or somewhere that can cut keys and get it cut to match the original Master key.

A brief video for these instructions can be found at:

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,144 Posts
Maybe you will get lucky but I have NEVER gotten it to work with using only keys not matter what I try. And yes, I did do it with master keys which I later confirmed in techstream they were masters.

The minute I got access to techstream, 5 minutes and I programmed a key. I'd say keep it in the back of your head to find access to techstream if you keep trying and it doesn't work with only keys.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There is a fixed limit of keys that can be programmed using just the car. I can't say for certain, but based on my own experience I'd say that number is 4 (in my case including the 2 keys I already had). And from what I've read the car will remember how many have been programmed. There's even a YouTube video, not the one I used, where the guy adding keys hits the limit and no more will program.

It is possible to wipe the slate clean, but then you need to reprogram all keys, and I'd never take that chance.

If the keys only method doesn't work then I'd resort either to Techstream or, perhaps, trying one of the devices that use the OBD-II port as part of key programming. Myself, I'd go the Techstream route.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,144 Posts
It is possible to wipe the slate clean, but then you need to reprogram all keys, and I'd never take that chance.
You are absolutely correct and I totally forgot about this. I have not reached the limit but I have 3 keys programmed on my RX330 and I should try one more lol.

I have also wiped a clean slate before, with techstream it is idiot proof and very easy. You have to have master to even start the process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyones input. It looks like the 07 and up camrys are not capable of onboard programming. If anyone would happen to know what is inside one of thoselittle orange programmers please let me know? If not i will post it up once mone comes (no info online at all about there make up). To those using techstream will the 35 dollar ebay one do the job?

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,144 Posts
I don't know what's inside those little orange boxes but I do know it's not a simple jumper, it's a full micro device. I had to call a locksmith ages ago before I knew about techstream, they used that little orange box.

The $35 ones you see are for sure bogus and usually do not work out of the box, you really gotta be tech savvy to get it to work.

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
782 Posts
The $35 ones you see are for sure bogus and usually do not work out of the box, you really gotta be tech savvy to get it to work.
I have to disagree.
The hardware works every time.
You can find the software all over the WWW.
What you need is a laptop with the 32 bit version of Win7.
(The 64 bit version of Win7 doesn't work correctly.)

Easiest and ultimately cheapest way is to buy an under $50 laptop with Win7, on eBay..there are lots around.
Now install Techstream.
Keep that laptop only for Toyota problems or programming keys, etc.
For under $100 a dedicated diagnostic machine. Better value than calling locksmith, or $120/ hour diagnosis.
JMHO...Shrug...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts