Toyota Nation Forum banner

2009 Matrix engine oil consumption

1714 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  rhoderage
I have a 2009 Matrix XRS (engine 2.4L L-4 DOHC 16v) that I have owned for 3 years. The mileage is about 122,000. It is going through a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. I have had it checked and I was told that it is a common problem with this engine. One shop advised me to keep an eye on it and add more oil as needed, that it would be very expensive to fix. Another shop told me the same, but said they have products (they are a BG product distributor) that can help. I'm not sure if I should use these products (an engine oil supplement, etc) at my next oil change. Does anyone know if these help with this issue? That same shop also recommended a "fuel system cleaning" to reduce carbon buildup. Are there things to do to help with this known issue besides having an expensive engine repair done?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
You were told right about this engine. The car Care Nut calls it a 'birth defect' and strongly advises against getting one of these. Pistons and O rings apparently. I have attached the video link- he starts talking about this engine at around 6:30 in.

· Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
4,098 Posts
Check out the DIY fixes for this problem on forum.
Will take you some time/effort otherwise just keep adding oil when needed.
A permanent fix would be internal engine work. May not be worth it to you.

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,219 Posts
How many miles are on your 2.4? You could try contacting your dealer to verify if your vin has a TSB for the oil consumption issue. I’ve heard it mentioned that the dealer would do a oil consumption test and let you know if it’s covered. I don’t know if 2009 is covered and how many miles.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You were told right about this engine. The car Care Nut calls it a 'birth defect' and strongly advises against getting one of these. Pistons and O rings apparently. I have attached the video link- he starts talking about this engine at around 6:30 in.
Thanks for the information and the link to the video. At least now I know what I'm dealing with.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many miles are on your 2.4? You could try contacting your dealer to verify if your vin has a TSB for the oil consumption issue. I’ve heard it mentioned that the dealer would do a oil consumption test and let you know if it’s covered. I don’t know if 2009 is covered and how many miles.
I have 122,000 miles on it. I checked and the TSB for this issue is expired and since I am the third owner of the car, I don't know if a dealer would do anything. Would there be any advantage in having an oil consumption test done?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out the DIY fixes for this problem on forum.
Will take you some time/effort otherwise just keep adding oil when needed.
A permanent fix would be internal engine work. May not be worth it to you.
Is there a quicker way to find DIY fixes other than scrolling through pages of posts? Thanks.

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,219 Posts
I have 122,000 miles on it. I checked and the TSB for this issue is expired and since I am the third owner of the car, I don't know if a dealer would do anything. Would there be any advantage in having an oil consumption test done?
I would just buy a master gasket kit and reseal the engine. But before you do that, check compression. Don’t believe # of owners matter. Inquire with your local dealer. The worst they can say is no.

· Registered
2018 Camry XSE V6
404 Posts
I had an 09 2AZ-FE which had the oil consumption problem... at about 100k miles the dealership did the pistons/rings (*the known problem) and replaced short block (*the result of the known problem) under the 10-yr extended warranty program for this issue...

Before the fix, I was adding at least a quart of oil every 1000k miles or so... never had any issues running that way, but of course it was a bit of extra work and cost to have to top up the oil every week. I would have done it forever until the car died if the engine job wasn't done under warranty... it was about $10k on the invoice, not at all worth it in my eyes for a 10yr old car that cost about $20k new (Canada)...

There are some threads where users have tried adding mixes of this and that to reduce the oil consumption and claimed success. Probably wouldn't hurt to try, just the price of the additives and an extra oil change or two. If it were me (and it was!) , I'd just keep adding oil regularly and drive it until the wheels fall off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts