Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am in the middle of doing an engine rebuild on my 1.8 liter, automatic 2009 base model Matrix and i could use some help.

I have removed the head, which is 100% ruined and now have to remove the pistons. I have put the front of the car on jack stands in my driveway. What all do I have to remove to get access to the pistons from below? I have to remove the bottom of the engine and knock the pistons upward with a piece of wood or rubber mallet, correct?

I've swapped a head before but never did piston removal or bottom engine rebuild so i'm kinda lost as the next step. I've scheduled mobile mechanics to come do the work but they keep canceling on me so im left to do it myself. I've gotten this far on my own so i may as well see if i can do the rest.

I found on youtube vid showing a guy clocking and installing the pistons but it didnt show the removal of the pistons.

Also, i need to i stall a new timing chain tensioner. That is what broke to cause all my problems. The chain is still perfect.

Anyway, so if anyone feels like enlightening me with the steps to take to get the pistons removed i will greatly appreciate it.

I am mechanically capable and have always worked on my vehicles. The only two things ive never worked on are transmissions and block/pistons so this is all new territory for me.

The car and engine are salvageable...i just have to put the time in it but ive gone as far as i can go with the knowledge i have.

Thanks for taking your time to read my post.

·
Registered
293 Posts
one thing to watch out for is the ridge at the top of the cylinder. If you have a ridge there that you can even feel with your fingernail the piston rings wont slide past it. You will need a cheap ridge reamer from the auto parts store to remove it so the pistons slide out easily. then when you install I would suggest honing the cylinder so your new rings seat properly, and you will need a ring compressor, also cheap, to re install the pistons. and remember, everything has to be 110% clean which is hard to do with the engine in the car, and don't be afraid to use lots of oil on reassembly. hopefully you have some sort of service manual to help you. One more thing, timing chains and chain guides usually come as a set, I'd replace everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one thing to watch out for is the ridge at the top of the cylinder. If you have a ridge there that you can even feel with your fingernail the piston rings wont slide past it. You will need a cheap ridge reamer from the auto parts store to remove it so the pistons slide out easily. then when you install I would suggest honing the cylinder so your new rings seat properly, and you will need a ring compressor, also cheap, to re install the pistons. and remember, everything has to be 110% clean which is hard to do with the engine in the car, and don't be afraid to use lots of oil on reassembly. hopefully you have some sort of service manual to help you. One more thing, timing chains and chain guides usually come as a set, I'd replace everything.
Thanks..and i will keep that in mind as i begin this task today....but i was mainly asking what to remove / how to remove the parts below the engine to get access to the bottom of the pistons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update: i was able to remove bottom portion of the block and remove the worst piston (which had a hole in it) and the cylinder it was in was gouged in two spots. Deep enough to catch my finger nail when i drag it across the cylinder walls. So now its eith replace the engine or sell it as a parts car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts