Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has come up with a fix for the defective rear speed sensors? I am out of warranty and don't really want to throw a bunch of parts at it. I have read the tsb and it seems like the connector is the issue, and i was hoping someone on the forum came up with a fix for the issue. I have taken the connections apart and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and used dialectric grease but the abs light still comes on intermittantly. If anyone would like to share how to fix this it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
"rear speed sensor"
Please elaborate. No idea what you're referring to.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I was referring to both rear wheel speed sensors, also known as abs sensors.
Does not seem to be a common problem as no one have chimed in.
I personally does not have this problem but I'd clean the contacts and connector, coat with with good di-electric grease and wrap the whole connector with coat of silicone followed with plastic wrap and maybe tie-wrap.
What have you done yourself? What does the TSB recommend?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've cleaned and dielectric greased the connections, but it still comes on intermittantly, although far less often then it did before. I'm going to try cleaning them again and i'll probably try siliconing them like you said. I figured since I've found several threads about it and a tsb online that someone might have a fix for it, but it's not looking too good.

The tsb basically says scan it; if dtc c0210 or c0215 show up replace bearings and the harness going to the speed sensor.

I was hoping to be able to avoid doing that

Thanks for the help, and i will add my final fix when i come to one lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found this in the list of tsb's thread on this forum:

SB0205-09..........07/06/2009 Brakes - ABS Lamp ON/DTC's C0210/C0215
Applicability - 2009 Corolla/Matrix 2WD
Introduction
Some 2009 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit an ABS MIL "ON" condition with either one or both of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
^ C0210 - Rear Speed Sensor RH Circuit
^ C0215 - Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit
A newly designed speed sensor connector is available for this condition.

When i googled it i found a lot of people also had this problem, i am quite surprised it hasn't come up here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
weird and annoying.... possibly life threatening

I found this in the list of tsb's thread on this forum:

SB0205-09..........07/06/2009 Brakes - ABS Lamp ON/DTC's C0210/C0215
Applicability - 2009 Corolla/Matrix 2WD
Introduction
Some 2009 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit an ABS MIL "ON" condition with either one or both of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
^ C0210 - Rear Speed Sensor RH Circuit
^ C0215 - Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit
A newly designed speed sensor connector is available for this condition.

When i googled it i found a lot of people also had this problem, i am quite surprised it hasn't come up here.

my ABS light and brake warning lights(abs) (!) came on earlier this week.. no results via OBD2 reader OBVIOUSLY. I have pulled the sensors off the front and cleaned them....still on. I'm awaiting a nice day to do the rear and figure out the tricky connectors inside the wheel wells to clean them up(front and back).... really weird. This tsb tells me it's most likely the rear causing the issue. The lights both came on at the same time a day after I washed it. (living in igloo type climate right now, lots of salt on the roads and wet near freezing or well below at all times)

any pointers for this? I have checked fluid levels and topped it off... checked brake lights,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah those cheap scanners are more or less useless.

In the end i took the connectors off of the rear speed sensors, cleaned them really well, coated them with a ton of dialectric grease and the light has stayed off since my last post in may.

I would think where it is a common issue it would seem likely you have the same issue i had.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah those cheap scanners are more or less useless.

In the end i took the connectors off of the rear speed sensors, cleaned them really well, coated them with a ton of dialectric grease and the light has stayed off since my last post in may.

I would think where it is a common issue it would seem likely you have the same issue i had.

after thinking really hard about this, I went out to my car in the driveway tonight. upon placing my hand in the wheel well and feeling straight up on the rear drivers side.... the plastic cowling/skin protective cover whatever you want to call it is hanging down, clips possibly broken pulled out or.. who knows. I checked the passenger side rear and everything was nice and tight all as it should be.... so this is a super huge hint towards my issue. given how much salt i'm dealing with right now my guess is rear right connector on abs speed sensor... ill let you know.. thanks for the insight!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
my ABS light and brake warning lights(abs) (!) came on earlier this week.. no results via OBD2 reader OBVIOUSLY. I have pulled the sensors off the front and cleaned them....still on. I'm awaiting a nice day to do the rear and figure out the tricky connectors inside the wheel wells to clean them up(front and back).... really weird. This tsb tells me it's most likely the rear causing the issue. The lights both came on at the same time a day after I washed it. (living in igloo type climate right now, lots of salt on the roads and wet near freezing or well below at all times)

any pointers for this? I have checked fluid levels and topped it off... checked brake lights,

Reviving an old thread...
I have a 2009 XRS. I had the same problems with the ABS/Brake/Trac lights coming on intermittently, and then they stayed on all of the time.

After seeing the TSB, I cleaned the connectors on both rear wheel speed sensors and lubed them up with dielectric grease, and the lights went out for about 2 minutes on the subsequent test drive, and then came back on.

So then I replaced both rear wheel speed sensor wires; lights are still on. I dropped the car off at the dealer today to have then take care of the master window switch recall, and had them diagnose the ABS/Brake error code (does not show up on my OBDII reader). They said it was both rear wheel speed sensors, and wanted $700 to replace them (parts & labor, including the $150 diagnosis fee ). No thanks, I'll do it myself.

·
Go Bills!
811 Posts
I had this issue last winter. I believe I may have started a thread on it as well, but regardless, after I cleaned out my terminals (didn't apply any grease) it resolved the issue. I could see my contacts were visibly oxidized when inspecting them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a 2009 XRS. I had the same problems with the ABS/Brake/Trac lights coming on intermittently, and then they stayed on all of the time.

After seeing the TSB, I cleaned the connectors on both rear wheel speed sensors and lubed them up with dielectric grease, and the lights went out for about 2 minutes on the subsequent test drive, and then came back on.

So then I replaced both rear wheel speed sensor wires; lights are still on. I dropped the car off at the dealer today to have then take care of the master window switch recall, and had them diagnose the ABS/Brake error code (does not show up on my OBDII reader). They said it was both rear wheel speed sensors, and wanted $700 to replace them (parts & labor, including the $150 diagnosis fee ). No thanks, I'll do it myself.
There is a trick to removing them. When you remove the sensor, which is part of the sheetmetal cover, be sure to pry on the area right under the connector. There is a magnetic ring attached to the bearing under the cover and if you pry on the opposite side, you will ruin the magnetic ring and have to replace the whole bearing assembly.

If you need better pics, let me know. I have a few old bearing lying around from a brake swap I did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if you have to take off the e-brake parts and entire hub assembly to get the sensor out/reinstalled, or does the hole thing just come off the back side of the hub?

The dealer has the sensors in stock ($120 each after 20% discount), so I will pick up the parts tonight and hopefully get it wrapped up sometime this week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a trick to removing them. When you remove the sensor, which is part of the sheetmetal cover, be sure to pry on the area right under the connector. There is a magnetic ring attached to the bearing under the cover and if you pry on the opposite side, you will ruin the magnetic ring and have to replace the whole bearing assembly.

If you need better pics, let me know. I have a few old bearing lying around from a brake swap I did.
Thanks Joyridin. I'll probably figure it out when I have the car up on jack stands, but from looking at the photo, it looks like I'll have to take the entire hub assembly/backing plate (including e-brake kit/brake line hose) off. Once I'm holding that in my hands (what you are holding in the picture), I can just pull the sensor out of the back of the hub assembly?

My matrix is FWD only, so my rear hub should look like the Corolla's.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, is it worth repacking the bearings at this stage (since I'm in there, and if it's even possible)? I have just over 60K miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
No, you cannot access it without removing the bearing. You have to remove the brake line and cable. It isn't really hard. The bolts are torqued to around 70 foot pounds when installing it. You cannot pack the bearings as it is a sealed unit. Here are some pics. You can see on this one where I screwed up the magnetic ring when I took it off wrong. The bearing is fried so I took it off to keep the sensor.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Have the same problem on my Base 09. Just got it back from the dealer and left side rear sensor and wires need to be replaced. Dealer had to order parts. 95k on car,fortunately got extended warranty that's good until 100k. Otherwise a little over $700. Diagnostic is $130 by itself.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Does not seem to be a common problem as no one have chimed in.
I personally does not have this problem but I'd clean the contacts and connector, coat with with good di-electric grease and wrap the whole connector with coat of silicone followed with plastic wrap and maybe tie-wrap.
What have you done yourself? What does the TSB recommend?
After my son replaced the wires in hopes it would fix the problem on his 2009 Matrix, It appeared to fix the problem. Problem came back real quick so he decided to take it to a trusted garage that specializes in Toyotas. He needed to get one hub? replaced on the rear axle and the codes removed and also the tpms sensor data needed to be serviced for an unrelated problem. Total cost was about $530 if memory is correct, with dealer charging wholesale price for the hub assembly, as my son inquired about part price when he was thinking of doing the work himself.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi Geocruser,

Any idea where you go tthe rear speed sensors for your Toytota Matrix XRS? Mine's a 2009 2 wheel drive. It'd be a huge help if you had any leads.. I'm having a pretty hard time finding any. Did you have a hard time getting the speed sensor out or did you just replace the entire hub assembly?

Garett

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just found this thread and joined so I can chime in... I have this problem!!

and Toyota wants $400 for the hub w/ sensor!! :eek: :help: :wtf:

Joyridin' your pictures are broke! :ugh3:

Has anyone changed the design and gone to a newer hub or something to avoid having to buy these freaking things?

I can weld, and fix things let's find a way around this, it's a freaking Corolla not a Corvette!!

Cheers :alc:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
17 Participants
maberma
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing