Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a trick to removing them. When you remove the sensor, which is part of the sheetmetal cover, be sure to pry on the area right under the connector. There is a magnetic ring attached to the bearing under the cover and if you pry on the opposite side, you will ruin the magnetic ring and have to replace the whole bearing assembly.

If you need better pics, let me know. I have a few old bearing lying around from a brake swap I did.
Pictures would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time doing this and I am unsure how to remove the sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I solved this...for me.

The parts guy at my local Toyota dealership printed me the TSB on this issue, it's only 3 pages. Skipping all the mumbo-jumbo the directions for the Service Techs are as follows:

Haskie said:
1.) Confirm that the ABS warning light is illuminated.

2.) Use TIS Techstream to preform a Health Check.

3.) If either C0210 or C0215 DTC codes are stored under the ABS system, inspect the rear speed sensor connectors and sensor pins for rust/corrosion.

4.) If rust/corrosion is found in the left rear and/or right rear speed sensor connector, disconnect the connector and replace the speed sensor wire harness.

If rust/corrosion is also found on the terminals of the rear speed sensors, replace the speed sensors.

Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS), applicable model and model year Repair Manual for rear speed sensor replacement and installation:

• 2009 Corolla:
Drivetrain - Axle/Differential - "Axle and Differential: Rear Axle Hub: Removal and Installation"

• 2009 Matrix (2WD):
Drivetrain - Axle/Differential - "Axle and Differential: Rear Axle Hub: (for Double Wishbone Type Suspension) : Removal and Installation"

5.) After the repair is complete, clear any stored DTCs and test drive the vehicle to confirm the repair.
So, After reading that I just bought the $40 wiring harness and replaced it.

I've fought with wiring harnesses on my VW and sometimes you can test/check the harness 16 ways from Sunday and it tests good but the car doesn't like it for whatever reason. At least this wiring harness was less than $100. Note: I didn't find any rust/corrosion on my harness but I did find an acre of dirt stored up in the fender well.

...And they gave me the wrong harness. Oh Happy Day.

I needed the Left, they gave me the Right, but I was able to make it work. The plugs are the same, just all the little clips that mount the wire in place were mirror image backwards so I had to take all the old clips off the old harness and swap them onto the new harness. (Who designed this piece of crap!?!)

It was kinda a PIA but not that hard. I disconnected the battery before I started, just in case.

To get to the other plug you pretty much have to take out the entire backseat. :headbang:

but it beats replacing the "hub with sensor assembly" for $484...

after clearing the code with my Actron Doohickey (CP9580A Auto Scanner Plus) the light went out and has been out for a day or so now.

It better not come back on or HULK SMASH!

cheers!
:alc:

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a trick to removing them. When you remove the sensor, which is part of the sheetmetal cover, be sure to pry on the area right under the connector. There is a magnetic ring attached to the bearing under the cover and if you pry on the opposite side, you will ruin the magnetic ring and have to replace the whole bearing assembly.

If you need better pics, let me know. I have a few old bearing lying around from a brake swap I did.
Hi, hoping you can help me. I am also having the issue with the ABS sensor on my 2009 Matrix XR with 4 wheel disc brakes. Dealer wants over $700 to repair. Even though the bearing is fine, I found a replacement hub with the sensor for $150 with plans of doing the work myself. I removed the hub without any problem but there is a cast bracket that seems to be press fit onto the hub assembly. Not sure how to separate the two parts. This cast piece is sandwiched between the hub and the mounting bracket on the vehicle and is where the caliper bracket bolts to.

The error code is C0210. Maybe I should buy the sensor only and remove as you mention. Not sure. Have you removed this cast piece from the hub assembly? If so, how did you do it. I would appreciate some photos if you have them. I have also taken some. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, hoping you can help me. I am also having the issue with the ABS sensor on my 2009 Matrix XR with 4 wheel disc brakes. Dealer wants over $700 to repair. Even though the bearing is fine, I found a replacement hub with the sensor for $150 with plans of doing the work myself. I removed the hub without any problem but there is a cast bracket that seems to be press fit onto the hub assembly. Not sure how to separate the two parts. This cast piece is sandwiched between the hub and the mounting bracket on the vehicle and is where the caliper bracket bolts to.

The error code is C0210. Maybe I should buy the sensor only and remove as you mention. Not sure. Have you removed this cast piece from the hub assembly? If so, how did you do it. I would appreciate some photos if you have them. I have also taken some. Thanks

I had error code C0210 and all I replaced was the $40 wire. Car's happy now.

I'd start there were it to happen again. like you said, the bearing is fine...!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

My 2009 Camry ABS light came on at about 110,000 miles. Researching the problem on this forum, I learned to short together pins 5 and 13 on the OBD interface under the dash. Counting the ABS flashes I determined the error code was "39". Googling this number told me the left rear sensor was dirty or being blocked.

I pulled the wheel off, wiggled off the harness from the integrated sensor.

Putting the multimeter on the sensor I got 175 ohms for impedance, switching to the meter to voltage, I then spun the wheel and picked up voltage of about 600 millivolts, voltage varied based on wheel speed. So it seemed the sensor was behaving appropriately.

I then tested the impedance on the wiring harness and got something like 1.2 megaohms. So that seemed like a way too high number.

Replaced the wiring harness, and poof, problem gone. Turns out the white wire was corroded off at the connector.

Thought I should post my solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same problem on 2009 vibe. Abs vsc handbrake light on. Anyone know how to test impedance on wire harness? Or how to test voltage on Hub sensor? Even alligator clips are too big to contact sensor prongs on hub sensor

·
4,910 Posts
Do you have a set of piercing probes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2007 Camry:
ABS light came on and ff and on again.
Checked code, C1332 Open Circuit In Right Rear Speed Sensor Circuit.
Checked sensor's resistance. It should be between 0.9kilo Om and 2.1 kilo Om. Shows 1.2 kilo Om, so it's normal.
Checked wire from sensor to body. Need to remove side of rear seat (not the seat, just the side, use 12 mm, see YouTube how to replace rear struts). Black wire OK, white ~2 mega Om.
Checked harness to body side. White wire corroded. Cut it, reconnected and soldered.
Checked harness to sensor side. White wire corroded and broke off inside waterproof harness. That's the culprit. Took harness apart, reconnected and soldered wire to pin.
Problem solved. ABS light off. Test drive with ABS deployment passed :)
Note: since wire corroded on both ends, regardless of waterproof or not harness the root cause is probably galvanic corrosion.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
17 Participants
maberma
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing