Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting off getting the work done for this recall for a while. I don't have the documentation in front of me, but it's something about the rear suspension arms rusting after an alignment. The fix is to replace them and use epoxy to fuse them in place. :surprise:

I dropped my vehicle off at a dealership on a Thursday evening about 6 weeks ago. Had to make the appointment about 3 weeks before that to get it in on Friday, the only day that I don't need to drive it. Talked to the advisor, etc. Got a call the next day at around 11AM. Told they don't have the parts. Nice. And that they would call me when they got the parts. They still have not called.

In the meantime I've read some horror stories about this recall work. Can't align the back end after this since they use epoxy. Tires wearing poorly, etc.

Anyone get this work done? Satisfied or not? If I've never had an alignment (I haven't) and my tires wear perfectly (they do) should I even get it done?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Wow. Sounds like a band aide for a bad design.. I wonder if the after market has jumped on this with parts that won't rust out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looking to do mine as well, but if they botch it, I'd rather buy the part myself and install it and pay for an alignment...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had this done on my '07 (I believe it's the same). And they had to REDO the original IIRC.

This LINK and THIS show THREE recalls for the same thing!

Got a free alignment out of it....but that may have been a 'goodwill' gesture.

Get it aligned when you do it and ask them to do it (alignment) for free. If they balk, ask them to do it as a goodwill repair for 50% off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My rear tires were getting chewed up at an accelerated rate. Took it in for an alignment at Firestone and they said they were too rusty to adjust - tried heating them up and still couldn't get them to budge. I ended up taking mine to Toyota and found out the rear toe arms weren't covered by warranty because they weren't OEM but some aftermarket brand. I bought some Megan Racing ones, installed them myself and had Firestone redo the alignment. Much better now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts