Toyota Nation Forum banner

2009 Rear suspension recall

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Haida Gwaii Pilot 
#1 ·
I've been putting off getting the work done for this recall for a while. I don't have the documentation in front of me, but it's something about the rear suspension arms rusting after an alignment. The fix is to replace them and use epoxy to fuse them in place. :surprise:

I dropped my vehicle off at a dealership on a Thursday evening about 6 weeks ago. Had to make the appointment about 3 weeks before that to get it in on Friday, the only day that I don't need to drive it. Talked to the advisor, etc. Got a call the next day at around 11AM. Told they don't have the parts. Nice. And that they would call me when they got the parts. They still have not called.

In the meantime I've read some horror stories about this recall work. Can't align the back end after this since they use epoxy. Tires wearing poorly, etc.

Anyone get this work done? Satisfied or not? If I've never had an alignment (I haven't) and my tires wear perfectly (they do) should I even get it done?

#4 ·
I had this done on my '07 (I believe it's the same). And they had to REDO the original IIRC.

This LINK and THIS show THREE recalls for the same thing!

Got a free alignment out of it....but that may have been a 'goodwill' gesture.

Get it aligned when you do it and ask them to do it (alignment) for free. If they balk, ask them to do it as a goodwill repair for 50% off.

#5 · (Edited)
My rear tires were getting chewed up at an accelerated rate. Took it in for an alignment at Firestone and they said they were too rusty to adjust - tried heating them up and still couldn't get them to budge. I ended up taking mine to Toyota and found out the rear toe arms weren't covered by warranty because they weren't OEM but some aftermarket brand. I bought some Megan Racing ones, installed them myself and had Firestone redo the alignment. Much better now.

#6 ·
I had this done on my '07 (I believe it's the same). And they had to REDO the original IIRC.

This LINK and THIS show THREE recalls for the same thing!

Got a free alignment out of it....but that may have been a 'goodwill' gesture.

Get it aligned when you do it and ask them to do it (alignment) for free. If they balk, ask them to do it as a goodwill repair for 50% off.
They do a 4 wheel alignment (included) for each of the three recalls. I've had #1 and #2 done but refused #3 because they epoxy it all up again even with the new free parts from Toyota. I'll pay someone else do do that along with alignment if it comes to that with NO epoxy.

#7 ·
Had it done in 2015 and the car pulled to the left fairly noticeably after that. Put new tires on in 2018 and took it to a local garage for an alignment. They said they could align the front end but not the back due to epoxy sealed tie rods. Instead of a $100 alignment, it would now be $700 (more if taken to Toyota) as new tie rods were required. I phoned Toyota and could not even book an appointment with the manager to discuss this obvious rip off to the customer. I used a power wire brush to remove the rubber epoxy, greased everything with water proof grease and took it back to the shop where they aligned it. Unless you do your own work, this fix will be costly down the road. I could not find how many incidents of tie rod separation had occurred to warrant the recall, but there are many ways the fix could have been accomplished where it would not lead to such expensive further alignments and exponentially more profit for Toyota.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.