Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new member here!

Since a few months ago, my blower motor is stuck on HIGH on all fan control (1,2,3,4) setting INCLUDING 'off'.

Now the Blower Motor itself is losing power, and dies quite frequently. I normally smack it with my hand to turn it on again for a bit before it dies again.

I am planning on buying a used OEM '09 corolla blower motor w/ resistor, but still doing research.

It seems that if the fan still works on HIGH when the fan control is switched 'off', it can be a blower motor RELAY problem and not the RESISTOR.

What should I do?

PS. The blower motor is a cold climate package version. My car does not have that package. Will the cold climate package version fit in my car?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
Have you inspected the resistor to confirm the joints are still intact?

The resistor controls both high and low fan speeds.

With the switch off and the blower motor is still running, leads me to believe that the relay or fuse is the source of the problem and not necessarily the blower motor. One side of the relay is closing the circuit, but the signal wasn't sent back to actually turn it off.

Swap the relay with one that is the same relay and see if the blower motor actually shuts off.

We'll go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply 75aces

I replaced the blower motor, and it works perfectly. But it's stuck on high. I cannot turn it off unless car is off. Blower switch does not work.

Where is the relay for this application? In the cabin or under the hood? What is it labelled as?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't checked the resistor. Kind of beating myself for not grabbing the resistor along with the blower motor at the scrapyard

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
Check on the driver side under dash fuse box. You are looking for the Heater relay.

Do pull the heater resistor from the firewall to verify its in good shape as far as the joints are concerned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay will check that out and let you know

Also, the blower motor works at maximum even when i disconnect the blower resistor. What does that mean? Does the resistor also turn the motor off?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
This could mean that the relay is constantly energized or your HVAC control unit is stuck.
I suggest you pull the panel and see if one of the 2 cables got unhooked. One should have a ball and is attached to twisted steel cable and the insulation should be green? The other cable has a hook and is the same as the first cable. Only difference is that the insulation might be white.

The heater resistor is designed to control high and low speeds. The blower itself is limited to 1 speed by itself.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
Okay will check that out and let you know

Also, the blower motor works at maximum even when i disconnect the blower resistor. What does that mean? Does the resistor also turn the motor off?
No it does not. That's the fan control switch that will turn off the fan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if it is solely the resistor that is bad, I should still be able to turn the blower off correct?

Panel as in the relay?

Also the rear window defroster still works, its button located on the blower switch

Appreciate the quick input 75aces

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
The heater relay controls the blower motor and resistor.

Over time, the copper joints in the heater resistor will break. Just inspect it and it should be good.

You will need a wiring diagram for the control panel. The connector may be loose. Just verify its connected.

Have you found the heater relay? It's 40A.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not yet. Need to get home first

Is it true, the horn relay is the same as the heater relay, hence I can test it with the working horn relay?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
No amperage is different. The horn relay is the same as the fan no.1 relay for the radiator fans.

The relay should be blue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey 75aces.

So the relay swap doesn't do the trick. Guess it is the blower switch. Which model/year uses the same blower switch as the 09 corolla CE? The junkyard nearby doesn't have 10th Gen corollas, so i was wondering maybe a RAV4 or Echo blower switch? Do they use the same ones?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
The 9th gen Corolla should have the same blower motor.

Have you opened the resistor yet to inspect the solder joints at each contact? See if the joints remaining are on the high side. I suspect it is.

You still planning to replace the resistor also?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts