Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!
For the past few weeks I have been having issues with my Corolla. She starts hard wether being hot or cold, and she will stall when coming to an almost complete stop. I usually have to switch her in neutral before I come to a stop.
Now my father and I have come up with a few different scenarios of what could be the issues, but we have either replaced or checked them. This is everything we have done to her so far:
  • replaced Camshaft position sensors (both)
  • replaced VVT-i Oil control valve filter
  • checked VVT-i solenoids (both)
  • spark plugs and coils replaced feb. of this year
  • battery replaced march of this year
None of the above has made a difference. Was wondering if you all had any ideas.
Oh and she's got about 300,000ish miles on her. The engine runs good under acceleration, but gives off a gurgling noise thats difficult to describe.

·
6,179 Posts
Take EGR apart and at least clean, or replace. I guarantee, at that mileage, it's full of crud. Also, clean all plumbing it is connected to. From that on, run Seafoam through tank once a year. Be happy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take EGR apart and at least clean, or replace. I guarantee, at that mileage, it's full of crud. Also, clean all plumbing it is connected to. From that on, run Seafoam through tank once a year. Be happy.
Could you tell me where the EGR could possibly be located. I haven't been able to find any diagrams/videos on line showing where it could be yet.

·
6,179 Posts
My bad. You do not have EGR. Still, something is choking your engine. Symptoms are EGR like, so whatever Toyota designed as EGR substitute for your year/engine, does that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bad. You do not have EGR. Still, something is choking your engine. Symptoms are EGR like, so whatever Toyota designed as EGR substitute for your year/engine, does that.
No worries. I've been reading up on the PCV valve and have a feeling that it could possibly be it. Currently looking at where it is located on the vehicle. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2009 Corolla XLE was doing the same thing and I did all kinds of stuff. I wound up replacing the PCV valve and it helped but did not stop the rough idle completely. Now it will about 90% of the time be okay at a stop light or sign, but every once in awhile it still acts up. I have resorted to just going into neutral for the stop duration. When hot and I put it in reverse or drive for a few seconds it will idle down to about 400 RPM and shutter really bad. As soon as I get it to move it is fine. Also my gas mileage has gone down to about 20 MPG. When I first bought the car the gas pedal was extremely sensitive, meaning just a little touch and it was shooting out of the hole like a rocket!! Now I have to go about 1/2 way to the floor to get it to get going. Transmission up shifts and down shifts just fine. Car has 165K miles and I am the original owner. Any Thoughts out there?

I have done the following for sure. Cleaned throttle body, replaced PCV valve, new air filter, cleaned MAF sensor, new plugs and wires, new battery, rebuilt alternator, I am sure I am forgetting a few things but this car is costing way too much so I just stopped throwing money at it. I have thought of taking it to Toyota and letting they charge me $200 to diagnose it and if I elect to let them repair it, then that money goes towards the repairs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My father and I are going to replace the PCV valve tonight. However, I did bring it to the repair shop and they took a look at it but couldn't figure out the problem. They had everything disconnected until Monday when I went to go pick it up. It ran fine Monday, Tuesday, and part of Wednesday. This got me thinking could it be a faulty sensor? If it were something mechanical wouldn't it show up right away after everything was hooked back up when I got my car back on Monday?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My father and I are going to replace the PCV valve tonight. However, I did bring it to the repair shop and they took a look at it but couldn't figure out the problem. They had everything disconnected until Monday when I went to go pick it up. It ran fine Monday, Tuesday, and part of Wednesday. This got me thinking could it be a faulty sensor? If it were something mechanical wouldn't it show up right away after everything was hooked back up when I got my car back on Monday?
If they disconnected and reconnected everything I'm thinking it's possible there was a dirty/corroded connection and somewhere in the process that 'cleaned' up the connection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I forgot to mention all Parts used on my Corolla are Toyota and Denso. I learned my lesson with non Toyota parts the hard way. a long time ago. Also when I put in the new Toyota PCV valve, the old one was still rattling, so it was good but put new one in anyway, as it was a $15 part. I am in the greater Houston, Tx. area and we are hot for about 8.5 months of the year. Today it hit 92 outside, but it is 74 in my house!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts