Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Toyota Matrix base manual transmission 1.8L. It does not have a dipstick for transmission fluid.

Can anyone provide instructions or a manual for transmission fluid change?

I have researched online but there is contradictory information about the location of the fill plug.

I bought this car used. It didn’t have any key fobs with it. How do I verify if the car can function keyless entry? I tried programming with another cars key fob and that did not work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way to know for sure of the level is to fill the transmission until it leaks out of the fill hole.

Edit : the fill plug is behind the front bumper reenforcement bar. It's a hex bolt recessed into the head of the bolt. I think it is 10mm.
So will I be able to access it by removing the engine air filter housing? I saw that in one of the videos.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,752 Posts
It's a tight fit in there. On my 9th gen, I didn't need to remove my air box. Takes a bit of flexibility to get in there as the space is narrow. You could try from under the car.

I use a funnel and some hose. I forget the diameter hose I used, but it's slightly larger than the funnel tip so that it can slip over the funnel.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,657 Posts
The fill hole is on the front side of the transmission facing the bumper. It's a 24mm bolt the same as the drain bolt. The drain bolt is on the side of the transmission facing the driver side tire. They are very obvious if you get under there and look. Always loosen the fill bolt first to make sure you can fill it back up. Drain the gear oil and replace the drain bolt. Fill through the fill hole until the gear oil starts to pour out the fill hole. It takes 1.9 US quarts. Use some new Redline MT-LV 70w/75w gear oil. I change mine out every 30-35k miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fill hole is on the front side of the transmission facing the bumper. It's a 24mm bolt the same as the drain bolt. The drain bolt is on the side of the transmission facing the driver side tire. They are very obvious if you get under there and look. Always loosen the fill bolt first to make sure you can fill it back up. Drain the gear oil and replace the drain bolt. Fill through the fill hole until the gear oil starts to pour out the fill hole. It takes 1.9 US quarts. Use some new Redline MT-LV 70w/75w gear oil. I change mine out every 30-35k miles.
What year and model is your matrix?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,657 Posts
What year and model is your matrix?
The title says a 2009 Matrix 1.8L so it's the same 2ZR-FE as most of use have in our Corolla. I've changed the gear oil several times so he should be able to easily do it from my description. The drain and fill bolts are large 24mm bolts and are easy to spot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The title says a 2009 Matrix 1.8L so it's the same 2ZR-FE as most of use have in our Corolla. I've changed the gear oil several times so he should be able to easily do it from my description. The drain and fill bolts are large 24mm bolts and are easy to spot.
Ok. Cool thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the input. I’ll probably change the gear oil in a month or so. Will post pictures after that.

·
Swiftly
71 Posts
Have a read of:
2010 Corolla C59 Transmission Oil Change

I stand by my statement in that thread:
"Toyota 70W LV Gear was too expensive & its not a full Synthetic, if you leave it longer than 80,000kms/7Yrs you are guaranteed to have a whine in 5th & 6th....despite it not being listed as requiring replacement within 100,000kms or three (3) year warranty period...Not Good, they just want to sell you a new car."

When I changed @ 80,000km the Factory Fill was Dark Honey Colour, It smelt sour & did not feel great between thumb & two fingers swirling. I did a PH test at the time & it was still in the "Base Range". [In hind sight wish I had switched to Full Synth at 60,000km]

The New Fluid I used was Full Synthetic GL4-Plus,
No Affiliation:
It was almost clear in colour, the shifting feel was improved/very slippery after the Fluid Change. It did not smell sour & it felt good between thumb & two fingers swirling.

An old quantitative test was to put a drop of the aged fluid from a dip stick onto a piece of Kitchen Paper Towel & also a drop of new fluid from the same dipstick onto the same piece of Kitchen Paper Towel at a different location then sit the paper towel horizontal suspended in air & wait 24Hrs, then draw a pen line around the outside of the spread & compare. (Make sure you clean the dipstick before each drop test). You can do this same quantitative with Engine oil & ATF as well.

I would recommend a Full Synth for the 6Sp Manual. Make sure its a GL4 or GL4Plus, [Not a GL5].

Pretty simple, I do mine this way:
I measure what comes out & put the same amount back in.
Alex Does DIY - 2009 Toyota Corolla Manual Transmission Oil Change

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have a read of:

"Toyota 70W LV Gear was too expensive & its not a full Synthetic, if you leave it longer than 80,000kms/7Yrs you are guaranteed to have a whine in 5th & 6th....despite it not being listed as requiring replacement within 100,000kms or three (3) year warranty period...Not Good, they just want to sell you a new car."

When I changed @ 80,000km the Factory Fill was Dark Honey Colour, It smelt sour & did not feel great between thumb & two fingers swirling. I did a PH test at the time & it was still in the "Base Range". [In hind sight wish I had switched to Full Synth at 60,000km]

No Affiliation:
It was almost clear in colour, the shifting feel was improved/very slippery after the Fluid Change. It did not smell sour & it felt good between thumb & two fingers swirling.

An old quantitative test was to put a drop of the aged fluid from a dip stick onto a piece of Kitchen Paper Towel & also a drop of new fluid from the same dipstick onto the same piece of Kitchen Paper Towel at a different location then sit the paper towel horizontal suspended in air & wait 24Hrs, then draw a pen line around the outside of the spread & compare. (Make sure you clean the dipstick before each drop test). You can do this same quantitative with Engine oil & ATF as well.

I would recommend a Full Synth for the 6Sp Manual. Make sure its a GL4 or GL4Plus, [Not a GL5].

Rob
This is helpful. A few things that stood out.
In the video, the full plug is a 24 mm hex bolt on top of the gearbox. I have mostly read that the full plug is on the front of the gear box right below the throttle body. The drain plug is a Allen recessed bolt at the bottom of the gearbox. Most of the threads and videos mention a 24 mm drain bolt on the driver side of the gearbox that is easily accessible by removing the driver front wheel. It is right behind the splash shield behind the brake rotor.

I went to the original forum and found this paper which has a lot of information. the guy says that when Toyota mentions 75w oil they mean 75w-85 oil with no sulphur/phosphorus. The guy in the link you submitted uses 75w-75 or 75w-80 oil.
Just mentioning a few pointers that stood out and thought might need clarification. I don’t know a lot about transmissions.

Attachments

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,657 Posts
Have a read of:

No Affiliation:

Rob
You don't need to measure anything. Just drain the oil gear and replace the drain bolt. Fill through the fill bolt on the side of the transmission until the gear oil starts to flow out of the fill hole. Replace the fill bolt. Both the drain and fill bolts are 24mm.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,657 Posts
This is helpful. A few things that stood out.
In the video, the full plug is a 24 mm hex bolt on top of the gearbox. I have mostly read that the full plug is on the front of the gear box right below the throttle body. The drain plug is a Allen recessed bolt at the bottom of the gearbox. Most of the threads and videos mention a 24 mm drain bolt on the driver side of the gearbox that is easily accessible by removing the driver front wheel. It is right behind the splash shield behind the brake rotor.

I went to the original forum and found this paper which has a lot of information. the guy says that when Toyota mentions 75w oil they mean 75w-85 oil with no sulphur/phosphorus. The guy in the link you submitted uses 75w-75 or 75w-80 oil.
Just mentioning a few pointers that stood out and thought might need clarification. I don’t know a lot about transmissions.
The fill bolt is not on the top. There is one there but the one to use is the one the front of the transmission. The idea is to add the gear oil until it begins to flow out of the fill hole. This is a very easy process but I see people making it very difficult.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts