Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
dchev
2019 Toyota Camry SE
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I just wanted to share this info with you about TSB for our 2009 Toyota Matrix (1.8l engines).
I found this info on Corolla forum, so I will copy and paste some of info.
TSB 0087-09 - they replace gear assy. camshaft, chain tensioner and use 2 gaskets.
I went to one of local Toyota Dealers, told them about TSB, and they order the parts and install them for 2.5-3 hours. Everything was very smooth!
Just be polite and explain that you have had some noise ruttle issues when you start your engine in the morning....
Now I will copy and paste the info from Corolla forums and wish you good luck with your cars. As the mechanic told me, "it is just a mechanical problem, and I had to replace some old parts with new parts! You should not have to worry about it."
Link: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301528
TSB - Engine Knock/Rattle/Squeak on Cold Start
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about this. My car had made a squealing/rattle sound for about a second on a cold start: I ignored it because it only happened once. For the past two days my car has done it every cold start (a total of 5 times) so I decided to take it in to the dealership. I told the tech I thought it may be the belt and/or tensioner and he agreed it was likely. I took my loaner car (downgrade to base model Corolla :ugh3:) and went about my day, he assured me it should be done by early afternoon. After 4 hours I decided to call that is when I got the news that there is a TSB out for my issue and I would be without my car for 4-5 days because they do not have the parts in stock.:brick:

I had him print out the TSB information so that I could relay it to everyone here because I know others were having the same issue. The TSB does not mention a squeal but it may sound like a squeal/knock/rattle/screech/metallic grinding. Apparently this is attributed to an oil leak.

T-SB-0087-09 - March 13, 2009

Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup

Service Category: Engine/Hybrid System
Section: Engine Mechanical
Market: USA

Applicability:
2009 Corolla - Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): BL40E, BU40E.
2009 Matrix - Drive Type(s): 2WD. Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): KU40E

Introduction:
Immediately following a cold soak startup, some 2009 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit a brief knock/rattle noise from the engine compartment for approximately one second. Follow the repair procedure below to address customer concerns.

Parts Information:

Previous Part Number: 13050-0T010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gear Assembly, Camshaft Timing. Qty: 1.

Previous Part Number: 11213-37020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover. Qty: 1.

Previous Part Number: 11159-37010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Camshaft Bearing Cap Oil Hole. Qty: 2.

Previous Part Number: 13552-0T020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Timing Chain Tensioner. Qty: 1.

Warranty Information:
OP Code: EG9006. Description: R & R Camshaft Timing Gear Assembly. Time: 1.5. OFP: 13050-0T010. T1: 06. T2: 40.

Applicable Warranty:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date. Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Well there it is, sorry for the long story to start. My car will be at the dealer until Tuesday but I will post an update once I get it back and run it for a few days. If you are having a similar issue I would take it in to be checked soon.
TSB - Engine Knock/Rattle/Squeak on Cold Start
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about this. My car had made a squealing/rattle sound for about a second on a cold start: I ignored it because it only happened once. For the past two days my car has done it every cold start (a total of 5 times) so I decided to take it in to the dealership. I told the tech I thought it may be the belt and/or tensioner and he agreed it was likely. I took my loaner car (downgrade to base model Corolla :ugh3:) and went about my day, he assured me it should be done by early afternoon. After 4 hours I decided to call that is when I got the news that there is a TSB out for my issue and I would be without my car for 4-5 days because they do not have the parts in stock.:brick:

I had him print out the TSB information so that I could relay it to everyone here because I know others were having the same issue. The TSB does not mention a squeal but it may sound like a squeal/knock/rattle/screech/metallic grinding. Apparently this is attributed to an oil leak.

T-SB-0087-09 - March 13, 2009

Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup

Service Category: Engine/Hybrid System
Section: Engine Mechanical
Market: USA

Applicability:
2009 Corolla - Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): BL40E, BU40E.
2009 Matrix - Drive Type(s): 2WD. Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): KU40E

Introduction:
Immediately following a cold soak startup, some 2009 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit a brief knock/rattle noise from the engine compartment for approximately one second. Follow the repair procedure below to address customer concerns.

Parts Information:

Previous Part Number: 13050-0T010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gear Assembly, Camshaft Timing. Qty: 1.

Previous Part Number: 11213-37020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover. Qty: 1.

Previous Part Number: 11159-37010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Camshaft Bearing Cap Oil Hole. Qty: 2.

Previous Part Number: 13552-0T020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Timing Chain Tensioner. Qty: 1.

Warranty Information:
OP Code: EG9006. Description: R & R Camshaft Timing Gear Assembly. Time: 1.5. OFP: 13050-0T010. T1: 06. T2: 40.

Applicable Warranty:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date. Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Well there it is, sorry for the long story to start. My car will be at the dealer until Tuesday but I will post an update once I get it back and run it for a few days. If you are having a similar issue I would take it in to be checked soon.

·
Registered
09 Corolla Matrix
665 Posts
Thanks man. Mine has been using quite a bit of oil, and I may have heard a slight rattle once or twice but was putting it down to lower oil level. Not sure, but I'll pay closer attention now.

Let me know what it's like when you get it back if you don't mind, and I may decide to take mine in.

·
dchev
2019 Toyota Camry SE
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I did TSB, the ride is about the same for me. I will see in the next 1-2 weeks if MPG is better?....
As I said, it is worth it to do this TSB because this is covered by warranty!
As you might know, there is another TSB for oil consumption. A few months ago, I did this TSB as well. My engine does not burn any oil! However, I change my oil always! I use Mobil 1 0W20 which is maybe the best oil available on the market at the best price $5-6/bottle (on sale). I usually use 4 bottles and 4 oz. when I change the oil.
I hope this helps!

·
Registered
09 Corolla Matrix
665 Posts
yeah man, I change my own oil as well.....nothing to it but to do it!

I lowered my windows and turned off my stereo this morning on start-up and didn't hear any rattling or squeeling.

I don't really care too much on the TSB mainly because I'm leasing it. Not to say I don't take care of it, as I might still buy it at the end.

Thanks for the info, gald to hear yours is not using oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
T-SB-0087-09 Experience - 2009 Corolla

Success at last!

We've got about 53k miles on the Corolla that we bought in 2/2009 (just before Obama started paying people to buy cars, grrrr). So, fortunately our TSB issue was handled under warranty, saving several $hundreds. This is a drivetrain issue that is covered for the first 60k miles or 60 months, whichever occurs first, so waste no time pursuing correction!

My daughter drives this car most, and about 3 weeks ago reported a grinding noise when she would start the car. I mistakenly admonished her for failing to release the key once the engine has started:facepalm:. After a few days of continued symptoms, I went out with her and upon cold, first-thing-in-the-morning startup heard the following noise:

Having heard many videos on similar issues for this problem, this one matched most precisely the symptom we had in volume, duration, and the specific nature of the sound.
This one was also pretty close, but lasts longer than the sound we experienced:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQZgDvOuaY .

My usually reliable and always scrupulously honest mechanic originally misdiagnosed this as a failing alternator pulley, which also has a TSB with similar symptoms, but not covered by warranty. When he installed the pulley, and it failed to correct the problem, he gave me the pulley at cost. His subsequent research came up with this T-SB-0087-09 for the camshaft assembly, and he pointed me to the dealer for warranty work.

I took it to my Toyota Dealer here in Fairfax, VA. The adviser and mechanic started the car cold first thing in the morning, and failed to diagnose this as a T-SB-0087-09 issue, though I had explicitly and emphatically pointed them in that direction. The adviser said that the sound did not point to the TSB issue, but that this was lifter noise. I politely but firmly disagreed (I know what lifters sound like), and he insisted in the mechanic's confidence that changing my oil to a heavier viscosity would protect the lifters and valves so this noise would not happen on startup. However, he declined to warranty the diagnosis with no-charge for the oil change if the symptoms persisted thereafter. :headbang:

Here's where I made progress with the dealer's preliminary misdiagnosis:
The adviser told me that the TSB could not be relevant to my car because "the sequent of parts" described in the TSB doesn't match those parts that exist in my car. After confirming his concurrence that "I do have the 2ZR engine, right?", I asked him to get his copy of the TSB out and walk me through that "sequence of parts" that differ from those in my car. He had to call me back for that. When he did call me back he informed me that the mechanic had originally compared the list of parts in my car shown on a sticker at the engine with those on the TSB. My inquiry had then prompted them to verify the parts listed on that sticker, and they found that the factory had put the wrong sticker on our car. They removed that sticker, replaced it with one that shows the correct parts for this TSB (and my car), and agreed to do the repair per the TSB under warranty, and offered a loaner car while they did the work (which also includes an oil change). They did not have all parts in stock, but got them the next day. They then completed the work that day, but kept the car until I could pick it up the following morning to verify the repair upon startup. No more noise! :clap:

It was a huge help having the printed TSB available throughout the discussions. You can get a PDF copy here:
http://www.toyotapart.com/BRIEF_ENGI...SB-0087-09.pdf ,
just be aware that the hyperlinks on that pdf may not work - I guarantee the link to "Confirm the customer complaint. See attached video for an example of the engine knock/rattle noise: Engine Knock/Rattle Noise Example" does not work, but use the links above in this post for that.

Moral of the story: have your dealer verify that the parts listed on that sticker for your engine are actually the correct parts for that car - I'm pretty sure mine can't be the only one. Otherwise, you may buy an oil change for nothing and waste time while your warranty expires.

I hope this helps you, and that you can get this fixed while you are still under warranty, or perhaps retroactively if your dealer failed to find the erroneous sticker on prior visits for this problem.

·
11,417 Posts
Success at last!

We've got about 53k miles on the Corolla that we bought in 2/2009 (just before Obama started paying people to buy cars, grrrr). So, fortunately our TSB issue was handled under warranty, saving several $hundreds. This is a drivetrain issue that is covered for the first 60k miles or 60 months, whichever occurs first, so waste no time pursuing correction!

My daughter drives this car most, and about 3 weeks ago reported a grinding noise when she would start the car. I mistakenly admonished her for failing to release the key once the engine has started:facepalm:. After a few days of continued symptoms, I went out with her and upon cold, first-thing-in-the-morning startup heard the following noise:

Having heard many videos on similar issues for this problem, this one matched most precisely the symptom we had in volume, duration, and the specific nature of the sound.
This one was also pretty close, but lasts longer than the sound we experienced:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQZgDvOuaY .

My usually reliable and always scrupulously honest mechanic originally misdiagnosed this as a failing alternator pulley, which also has a TSB with similar symptoms, but not covered by warranty. When he installed the pulley, and it failed to correct the problem, he gave me the pulley at cost. His subsequent research came up with this T-SB-0087-09 for the camshaft assembly, and he pointed me to the dealer for warranty work.

I took it to my Toyota Dealer here in Fairfax, VA. The adviser and mechanic started the car cold first thing in the morning, and failed to diagnose this as a T-SB-0087-09 issue, though I had explicitly and emphatically pointed them in that direction. The adviser said that the sound did not point to the TSB issue, but that this was lifter noise. I politely but firmly disagreed (I know what lifters sound like), and he insisted in the mechanic's confidence that changing my oil to a heavier viscosity would protect the lifters and valves so this noise would not happen on startup. However, he declined to warranty the diagnosis with no-charge for the oil change if the symptoms persisted thereafter. :headbang:

Here's where I made progress with the dealer's preliminary misdiagnosis:
The adviser told me that the TSB could not be relevant to my car because "the sequent of parts" described in the TSB doesn't match those parts that exist in my car. After confirming his concurrence that "I do have the 2ZR engine, right?", I asked him to get his copy of the TSB out and walk me through that "sequence of parts" that differ from those in my car. He had to call me back for that. When he did call me back he informed me that the mechanic had originally compared the list of parts in my car shown on a sticker at the engine with those on the TSB. My inquiry had then prompted them to verify the parts listed on that sticker, and they found that the factory had put the wrong sticker on our car. They removed that sticker, replaced it with one that shows the correct parts for this TSB (and my car), and agreed to do the repair per the TSB under warranty, and offered a loaner car while they did the work (which also includes an oil change). They did not have all parts in stock, but got them the next day. They then completed the work that day, but kept the car until I could pick it up the following morning to verify the repair upon startup. No more noise! :clap:

It was a huge help having the printed TSB available throughout the discussions. You can get a PDF copy here:
http://www.toyotapart.com/BRIEF_ENGI...SB-0087-09.pdf ,
just be aware that the hyperlinks on that pdf may not work - I guarantee the link to "Confirm the customer complaint. See attached video for an example of the engine knock/rattle noise: Engine Knock/Rattle Noise Example" does not work, but use the links above in this post for that.

Moral of the story: have your dealer verify that the parts listed on that sticker for your engine are actually the correct parts for that car - I'm pretty sure mine can't be the only one. Otherwise, you may buy an oil change for nothing and waste time while your warranty expires.

I hope this helps you, and that you can get this fixed while you are still under warranty, or perhaps retroactively if your dealer failed to find the erroneous sticker on prior visits for this problem.

This is helpful thanks, Do you know if this applies to all models using the 1.8 liter, such as the Scion Xd?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure about the Scion motors

This is helpful thanks, Do you know if this applies to all models using the 1.8 liter, such as the Scion Xd?
I only know the TSB refers to the "2ZR" engines in the Corolla and Matrix for 2009 and (in an update) 2010.

Shouldn't be too hard to find out about the Scion, though.

Good luck.

·
11,417 Posts
I only know the TSB refers to the "2ZR" engines in the Corolla and Matrix for 2009 and (in an update) 2010.

Shouldn't be too hard to find out about the Scion, though.

Good luck.

Thank you. This may apply, since the Xd does use the same 1.8 as the Corolla Matrix (and Vibe), though the first year it used the engine was 2008. I wonder if the 2008 models would then be affected, if it applies to the xd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone attempted this repair themselves? Just wondering how difficult it is. Doesn't look too bad, but wanted some real experience if it's out there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i just saw this thread and notice i sometimes get this same sound when starting up my car when its cold. I'm way out of warranty by now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just saw this thread and notice i sometimes get this same sound when starting up my car when its cold. I'm way out of warranty by now.
How many miles are on yours? Mine has 103k and it got so bad I just couldn't stand it anymore. The noise was so obnoxious that it became quite embarrassing. Very loud. Even without many responses in the forums where I've been asking, I took on the job this weekend to repair it on my own. Part from Toyota was $201, and the cam cover gasket was another $17, and the other ones I bought but didn't replace. It is not a job for the faint of heart, and def the most challenging I took on in all my auto repair days. But, with that being said, i followed the instructions and took my time, and had it accomplished in about 3.5 hrs. Not too bad. The local Toyota dealer wanted $600 to do it. So I saved about $350. Also did the plugs while I was in there, and it was time for a new battery as well so did that. Feels like a new car. Sound it totally gone too! Made my weekend.

·
Registered
503 Posts
How many miles are on yours? Mine has 103k and it got so bad I just couldn't stand it anymore. The noise was so obnoxious that it became quite embarrassing. Very loud. Even without many responses in the forums where I've been asking, I took on the job this weekend to repair it on my own. Part from Toyota was $201, and the cam cover gasket was another $17, and the other ones I bought but didn't replace. It is not a job for the faint of heart, and def the most challenging I took on in all my auto repair days. But, with that being said, i followed the instructions and took my time, and had it accomplished in about 3.5 hrs. Not too bad. The local Toyota dealer wanted $600 to do it. So I saved about $350. Also did the plugs while I was in there, and it was time for a new battery as well so did that. Feels like a new car. Sound it totally gone too! Made my weekend.
my has about 96k km. Do you know what parts are needed and instructions? I don't mind tackling the job myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, 96k km (60k miles) was just about when mine started doing it, ever so slightly. Took it in and it wouldn't make the sound, only intermittent. By 80k miles it was making the noise on every start, and like I said by 100k mi it was so bad I just had to replace it. Called Toyota in a glimmer of a hope they would discount the repair, but no luck. So I did it myself. Parts list is at the top of this thread. The main part, the camshaft timing gear assembly, p/n 13050-0T010 is superseded and now has a new one with several revisions (I'm sure to fix this obvious design defect in the gear assembly) and is now p/n 13050-0T050. Runs about $200 at the dealer, and found for $170 from another online Toyota dealer. I went local with the local dealer, and like I said got the gasket (p/n also in the original post). I did replace the gasket on the tensioner, but probably wouldn't had to, it looked in good shape. The instructions can be found here: http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/df9546f10db14556bacce04c2c59f06e#. Good overall instructions, however, they left out a very critical point. When you mark the cam gears and chain, so you can put the cam back in the exact right orientation (which is obviously very critical as the motor is timed) that mark is gone when you remove the cam gear. They do not mention this in the instructions (not sure why??!!). Anyway, you have to look at the gear you removed, with the paint mark, and match that up with the new gear so you can visually transfer the mark from the old to the new. There are dots on the face of the gear, and you use those to visually compare which line to mark on the new cam gear before you put it back in the motor. Also, they don't mention the fact that you need to lock the cam gear after installing onto the camshaft. It comes 'unlocked'. After you torque it down onto the camshaft, you need to hold the cam shaft and twist the cam gear counterclockwise and you will hear a small 'click'. The cam gear is then locked and ready to install back into the motor. That's about it. Wasn't too bad of a job actually, but the critical nature, because you're working with components and timing and if that's screwed up you can really mess something up, make it a bit stressful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts