Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, my 09 matrix XRS (225,000km) has a bearing hum, suspected to be coming from the transmission. The hum gets louder with vehicle speed, doesn't matter what gear I'm in or if I'm in neutral and coasting. Both wheel bearings have been diagnosed as not the cause of the him, and my CV shaft was also replaced, but the hum remains. My mechanic believes it's from the transmission. If it's a shaft bearing in this transmission, would it be worth trying to replace the bearing, or just swapping transmissions?

·
Registered
432 Posts
That hum seems to be a common complaint on this forum, my corolla has it too. You could try servicing the trans. fluid but my hum stayed the same after service. Personally I'm not worried about mine as long as the hum doesn't get much worse, it's pretty faint right now.
I think it could get pretty expensive to have a mechanic search inside your trans for that hum unless it gets really bad. It would almost be more cost effective to have the trans rebuilt instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That hum seems to be a common complaint on this forum, my corolla has it too. You could try servicing the trans. fluid but my hum stayed the same after service. Personally I'm not worried about mine as long as the hum doesn't get much worse, it's pretty faint right now.
I think it could get pretty expensive to have a mechanic search inside your trans for that hum unless it gets really bad. It would almost be more cost effective to have the trans rebuilt instead.

How long have you had that hum for? It hasn't really gotten worse for me but I'm scared to take it on a road trip

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've only had my corolla since last feb. and I've put about 9,000 miles on it. The hum has been there the whole time without changing. It's not very noticeable most of the time, but you seem to hear it most under light low rpm acceleration. If yours is similar to mine and there are no accompanying vibrations I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah mine gets louder gradually as I pick up speed, has less to do with acceleration. But also does not cause any vibration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts