Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2009 Pontiac vibe/matrix . Has the 1.8 . Engine has lots of new parts but unfortunately the ecu got wet and fried. I bought a rebuilt ecu(same part number) car acts as if there is an immobilizer installed. Changed to a used ecu same symptoms. I had a locksmith take a look and he said it doesn’t have an immobilizer but the ecu must have came from an immobilizer car. Now the ecu is looking for corresponding code from the immobilizer transmitter. Again car has no factory immobilizer. Is there some way of reprogram the ecu to not look for an immobilizer ? This is an American car immobilizer was an option.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,331 Posts
When swapping ECU's in a 2005+ Toyota:
Try it and see what happens. As long as you have the right part number it should not matter. Otherwise buying the ECU used instead of rebuilt or new might've been a better option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this only works to pair the key up with ecu. It works to get the ecu paired but the ignition system will only spark for 3 seconds then goes into security mode. I was told the ecu is looking for a signal from immobilizer. The key switch has no transponder just a smooth key switch. The original ecu got severe water damage so it could not be cloned .

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Have you tried it? Otherwise unless you have advanced diagnostic software (or a Tech Stream) and until someone else chimes in on what to do, you won't get far without going to the dealership or independent shop. As long as the part number is the same, you should have little to no issue with the reinstall & re-sync. On the other hand, someone a month or two ago had come across a similar situation and bought a ECU new from the dealership and it did not work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have any leads on replacement ecu for 2009 matrix. Ecu number 89661-02L70. Mine doesn’t have the immobilizer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the link but this company is totally difficult to work with. They have almost no technical support and I bought an ecu from them with immobilizer program installed. So I am back at square one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have recently found out that on Toyota oem parts websites it shows more than one ecu number? I know they were some updates but how do I know which one is the right one?

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
I appreciate the link but this company is totally difficult to work with. They have almost no technical support and I bought an ecu from them with immobilizer program installed. So I am back at square one.
Then all you can do is keep on searching. I severely doubt they made an ECU without an immobilizer with the same part number as with an immobilizer. There are multiple ECU's because there are multiple trims they have different options. As long as you have the same part number, you should be fine. Don't even try a different part number UNLESS you already had the wrong part number on hand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is I have no immobilizer yet a dealership that had no idea what they were looking for said they thought I did. A locksmith said I had no chip in the key nor the key signal amplifier, they even showed me the empty immobilizer space in fuse box. Made sense I had no immobilizer . I just have symptoms of immobilizer shutting down ignition. A mother local dealership estimated 1500 repair bill to fix it. I am not paying that. Vehicle is just not worth that much investment.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
You can either play the game of spending $1500 to fix it or spending $1500 in attempts to fix it. Why and how did the ECU get wet? Did you check to see what else got damaged? You can also play the game of buying and trying out other ECU part numbers too. In the case of some of these very dealer specific issues, unless you have the tools and diagnostic software, you will not get far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know Toyota has their own tech program that makes it difficult for a diy. The ecm got wet will having the head replaced. My locksmith tried to clone the original program but it was he said it so corrupted from water damage it wasn’t salvageable. The ecu replacement without an immobilizer should be almost plug and play. I am just trying to find out if anyone else has ever had an issue like this. The 2009 had an option for immobilizer. If a refurbished or used one has the immobilizer program and my car does not it will not work.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,784 Posts
Anyone have any leads on replacement ecu for 2009 matrix. Ecu number 89661-02L70. Mine doesn’t have the immobilizer.
My suggestion is to contact keystone automotive/lkq. The last time I contacted them regarding an ECU, they were able to use the vin to locate the ECU. With the ECU being damaged, it isn't possible to see if there's keys registered.

I want to say that matrix manufactured after 05 has an immobilizer. Do you recall seeing a key icon on your cluster? I believe you have an immobilizer key.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Then all you can do is keep on searching. I severely doubt they made an ECU without an immobilizer with the same part number as with an immobilizer. There are multiple ECU's because there are multiple trims they have different options.
Just FYI, and this is not Corolla specific but maybe it will help with this problem, the late '90s Camrys had ECU's with an immobilizer and the only difference between the car actually using it or not was if it was plugged in. Same part number.

So for a non immobilizer car the fifth plug on the ECU is not plugged in, the ECU never registered any keys, and the immobilizer was always off. On an immobilizer car as soon as the immobilizer hardware was plugged into the ECU it would register the keys and the ECU would forever have the immobilizer activated. The way to reverse this was to go in and program the EEPROM in the ECU back to what it contained before any keys were registered. That requires physically opening the ECU and programming the chip directly.

The other option was to switch the EEPROM from your old ECU to the new ECU and the immobilizer would then work with your keys. This is easier than reprogramming as you don't need the correct values for a virgin ECU. You do need the ability to solder surface mount devices.

I don't know if this actually applies here, but it might be worth looking at/ researching on your quest to get the car working. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is this a dealer only option? Because my latest quote was 1500. I reall hate to put so much in the car . I think my locksmith tried to clone the original program to the new ecu but the coding was corrupted from being water damaged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Key amplifier ring around key hole.unlike previous picture this one has the black ring around the key switch. My doesn’t have this it has the smooth key switch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts