Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone having any problems with transmission feeling like it slips and sometimes engages kinda hard at slow speeds?? its kinda hard to explain but it just feels weird..i ask the dealer and they said it was because of the electronic transmission...sometimes when i take off i feel a clunk i guess that is what i can call it....anyone else out there have similiar problems?:)

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
anyone having any problems with transmission feeling like it slips and sometimes engages kinda hard at slow speeds?? its kinda hard to explain but it just feels weird..i ask the dealer and they said it was because of the electronic transmission...sometimes when i take off i feel a clunk i guess that is what i can call it....anyone else out there have similiar problems?:)

I have the same thing. I feed a slight clunk from 2-1 and from 1-2 when the trans is cold mostly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine does it hot or cold but only at low speed..dealer told me if there is something wrong i would get a check engine light and there would be a code for the transmission...thanks for the reply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
mine is hard to describe..i dont really hear anything but i can feel it..it is just annoying..i dont have to hit the gas hard either..just a normal takeoff..it feels like it engages hard..even when i am slowing down but do not stop completely then i give it gas it feels like it trying to catch up and when it does thats when i feel that weird shift...anyone out there taken their truck to the dealer for this?? if so what did they tell you??

·
nicely retired
Tundra DC SR5
60 Posts
You've got trouble....

mine is hard to describe..i dont really hear anything but i can feel it..it is just annoying..i dont have to hit the gas hard either..just a normal takeoff..it feels like it engages hard..even when i am slowing down but do not stop completely then i give it gas it feels like it trying to catch up and when it does thats when i feel that weird shift...anyone out there taken their truck to the dealer for this?? if so what did they tell you??
I have a 2007 5.7L and have had NO problems of this nature with the transmission. As a matter of fact, the transmission in this truck is the smoothest shifting, smartest downshifting, auto transmission I've had in the multitude of vehicles I've owned. However, until your transmission symptoms get a lot worse, you're going to have a hard time convincing the service department to anything about it.:headbang:

Virg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2010 with 4.6 and 6 speed and I have the same thing you desribe. No sound just a weird feeling that does not feel right at all. Its almost like the trans does not know what gear to shift to.What gear do you have . I have the 4.10

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just recently acquired a 2007 and also, every now and then, get a light clunk at low speed acceleration, maybe when making a turn. There are so many things going on with the traction control and differential, I suspect it is just normal. And now that I have proved I have just made a comment about a subject that I know nothing about, I think I am now finally going to go and read the owner's manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup!

I did a clunker trade (maybe without enough research) and bought a 2010 4.6L and it drives me nuts. Whenever decreasing to low speed and then accelerating the transmission doesnt know what to do. The engine speeds up without accelerating then quickly reduces rpm and transmission engages. Happens all the time around town when rolling through stoip signs or similar situations, decreasing speed to about 8-10 mph then trying to take off.

The best was driving from the dealership with the new Tundra to the local ice cream stand. I pulled up to the front of the stand on a slight rise and because of the big blind spot in front of the hood, stopped short and tried to inch forward to get int the space. Engine reved, car didnt move then suddenly jerked forward and scared the hell of of me and everyone in line in front of the truck. Similar, but different. Havent noticed that gain but the transmission "slipping" is pretty predictable. Havent had time to bring it back yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the 4.6L 2010 and I am experiencing the same thing as you guys describe. Rolling up to a yield sign slowing to a crawl and then accelerating produces a slight engine rev and then a hard transmission engagement. I agree with the above posts, its like the tranny can't decide if it should be a 1st or 2nd gear acceleration. Everytime it happens the check engine light comes on.

I thought this behavior might have been related to the regular fuel I was running in it but I have a tank of premium in it right now and this morning it did it and the check engine light has come on again.

In the last 2 weeks I think there has only been two days where the stupid check engine light hasn't been on. I have just over 1000miles on this truck now. This is not the type of thing I expect from a Toyota. Makes me wonder how much testing they really do.

·
AuburnTigerTundra
2008 Tundra 4x4 Crew
29 Posts
I have the 4.6L 2010 and I am experiencing the same thing as you guys describe. Rolling up to a yield sign slowing to a crawl and then accelerating produces a slight engine rev and then a hard transmission engagement. I agree with the above posts, its like the tranny can't decide if it should be a 1st or 2nd gear acceleration. Everytime it happens the check engine light comes on.

I thought this behavior might have been related to the regular fuel I was running in it but I have a tank of premium in it right now and this morning it did it and the check engine light has come on again.

In the last 2 weeks I think there has only been two days where the stupid check engine light hasn't been on. I have just over 1000miles on this truck now. This is not the type of thing I expect from a Toyota. Makes me wonder how much testing they really do.
I agree with some of the earlier posts about the transmissions acting funny at slow speeds. I have had my truck for almost two years now, and it does it, but my neighbor who also has a tundra says his does the same thing. As for your post above, that does not sound normal. I have never seen my check engine light come on, but I also have the 5.7 V-8. I would take to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi guys! Just a follow up to this issue. I took my truck in again and this time they hooked me up with the Service Manager and he did a full diagnostic download. He didn't have an immediate answer regarding the check engine light coming on so he asked to get back to me in a couple of days.
He just called this morning and apparently Toyota Canada has logged this issue and it sounds like it an issue with a machined pathway that goes into one of the valve controllers to do with the VVTi. Apparently they have found some of these passage ways creating some resistriction and it needs to be cleaned out.
This would explain why some trucks do this and others don't.

Anyhow I take it in on thursday for them to clean up this passage way so I will let you know the verdict.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok so I had my service work done last week. So far it seems like the problem has been resolved with the low speed shifting. The service work said something to the effect of cleaning the VVTi actuators and changing the engine oil. I guess its part of resolving this issue.

To any of you that are having this low speed transmission engagement issue I suggest you contact your dealer and let them know. Mine was bad enough at times to throw on the check engine light but I think its possible for it to happen and not throw an engine code.

Cheers!

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Ok so I had my service work done last week. So far it seems like the problem has been resolved with the low speed shifting. The service work said something to the effect of cleaning the VVTi actuators and changing the engine oil. I guess its part of resolving this issue.

To any of you that are having this low speed transmission engagement issue I suggest you contact your dealer and let them know. Mine was bad enough at times to throw on the check engine light but I think its possible for it to happen and not throw an engine code.

Cheers!
very intresting. I would love more info on this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok well here is what my service sheet said:

Code P0012
Removed all VVTI Acutators and Cleaned - Test operation - OK
Cleaned all oil ports on valve cover
Changed oil and filters

That was the summary of the service they did. However talking with the service manager prior to coming in he told me that Toyota Canada had logged this problem. So if you are experiencing the same sort of thing I suggest you talk to your dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
07 Tundra...Same thing!!!

My '07 DC does pretty much the same thing... I had to get real technical with my service manager and told him, it seemed quirky. He replied to me that there have been 4 complaints (I make 5) of this quirkiness from new Tundra owners. I mentioned that the forums are talking of this more often. He said to me that Toyota is aware of the problem and is "supposed" to address it in the next few months and to check back after the new year... Probably after he's retired. :lol: I hope he wasn't blowing smoke... He also said that he looks at the forums and so do the head-honchos. Apparently they care what we think of their product. My point is, if you are experiencing it, say it and maybe if enough pressure mounts, it will get tended to.:clap:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been driving my truck around this past week since I had this service work done. To me its still doing the same thing when you roll up to an intersection and get back on the throttle without stopping completely. My check engine light has not come on again but its definately still doing this weird shifting thing.
I've fired my service manage here a follow-up email that he's going to need to do some further research on this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sighs.....the saga continues. For those that are interested and are experiencing the same shifting issue as me here is an update.

After continuing to complain about my low speed shifting issue my service department took my truck in again. This time the plan was to add more transmission fluid. According to the service manager some new trucks were coming from the factory with the level near the minimum level and topping them up solved this shifting issue. Well it seems that the transmissions in these trucks is not easy to top up this level. It needs to go onto a hoist and fluid is added from underneath. The tranny is a completely sealed unit now. The little bit of good news is that the service manager at my dealer took my truck out and he was able to repeat what I have been telling him for a month. So at least he knows I am not making this up. Anyhow, fluid level topped up now and my truck still does this off shifting issue.

For those of you with a 4.6L 2010 Tundra here is how I have been able to get it to repeat the issue. When the truck is cold (more repeatible when cold) I drive about say half a block. Let off the gas or brake down to about 20kph turn a corner and when i get back on the gas the transmission acts like it is neutral. The engine will rev because I am trying to accelerate and suddenly the transmission dumps into a gear. So to me it seems like it's a downshifting issue while rolling. If I come to a complete stop everything is fine. I have done some short trips to the store or to work where it has done this same thing 3 times in a row.

Interestingly enough while my truck was in getting the tranny fluid topped up last time I was given a 5.7 Tundra to drive. Totally different truck to drive. The shift points are much more intelligent.
I know Toyota did some funky crap with the shift points in the 4.6L to try to extend fuel economy but after driving this truck for a few months I can report quite honestly that it doesn't work. I find the initial acceleration of the 4.6L to be way to sensitive, it ramps up gears way too fast and once you are cruising around at street speeds it seems to take alot of foot feed to get it moving. It would rather lug than drop a gear to accelerate.

The 5.7 I drove was nothing like that. Initial accelerate was smooth and I didn't have to be so cautious then once I was moving it was very eager to drop a gear if I wanted to get up and go. If Toyota did all of this to try to make the 4.6L more economical they failed miserably in my opinion. My fuel economy in the city is no where near what they rate it at in their specs. I have done burned off a few tanks of fuel in the city where I babied it big time and still not even close to the rating they give this engine.

You know I bought the 4.6L because I really didn't need the extra HP and I was hoping to get a little better fuel economy in the long run. In hindsight I probably should have just gotten the 5.7L. I think they rushed to get this 4.6L out for sale because I know I am not the only one having these problems. I do like this truck don't get me wrong, I just hate having these issues with something we paid so much money for. Its like buying a brand new house that comes with a leaky roof. If they ever get to the bottom of my shifting issues I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 2007 5.7L does the same thing when it's cold and always has. I've just gotten used to it. Toyota did issues a TSB for the Tacoma to reflash the transmission control to allow better shifting at low speeds. Perhaps they will eventually do this for the Tundra. Reprogramming is most likely the only thing that will work.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
following this thread still. My truck did this thump again today. Truck was cold. Feels like a sloppy old POS trans when this happens.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts