Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,678 Posts
My 2007 5.7L does the same thing when it's cold and always has. I've just gotten used to it. Toyota did issues a TSB for the Tacoma to reflash the transmission control to allow better shifting at low speeds. Perhaps they will eventually do this for the Tundra. Reprogramming is most likely the only thing that will work.

My truck does the same when it is in "open loop" mode. Really sluggish from 2-3 upshift.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,678 Posts
Hopefully someone can explain it better that I can :facepalm:

When your truck is cold and way under operating temperture the truck runs in "open loop" mode where it runs really rich to protect 02 sensors, pistons, valves, etc from high exhaust temperatures.

Once a certain operating temperature has been met the truck the reverts to "closed loop" mode. which is normal operation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm just curious, have any of you guys experiencing this transmission shift issue tried writing a complaint letter directly to Toyota? I know the easiest channel is thru your dealer but I'm just wondering how much of the issue is making it's way to Toyota.

I have been spending a little more time searching around other forums and there are more and more people I have found experiencing the same issue as me. This is also not strictly to the 4.6L either, lots of 5.7 owners going back as far as 2007 are saying the same thing.

It might very well help to send a message thru Toyota.ca or .com (depending where you live) detailing this problem. If they get enough complaints they will have to investigate it. If this issue goes back 2 years already and its still not resolved its something Toyota needs to hear about directly because obviously the dealers are not getting the information back to them.

I wrote up an email and submitted it last night. I hope to have a conversation with a factory person over this. My local service manager has been great to deal with and he has tried on two occasiond to fix it but he's now at a loss and I'm inclinded to take my beef directly to the factory.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm really interested in what you find out. Thank you for you efforts in witting Toyota. I'm having the same EXACT problems as you are. I have a 2008 5.7 Sequoia 25, 000. Servicing has been check and problem not able to be duplicated by dealer. My father has the 4.7L 07 Tundra. He had the same problem. He took it upon himself to drain all the transmission fluid, remove and reinstall the transmission pan after cleaning it free of all grime. He then re-serviced his transmission with the same amount of fluid that was removed and then added a little more. It has been 5,000 miles since he has done this and he as not had the problem since. I guess maybe the answer is Over-servicing and clean the pan.
****He did this without the proper test gear and measuring methods and is ultimately gambling his warranty by having done this himself, but he has a been a mechanic for over 40 years and is comfortable with his abilities. I do not recommend nor am I endorsing his methods- just sharing his resolution to his problem.****

·
Registered
62 Posts
I should see if my dealer is willing to try a transmission flush as an experiment. I mean he likely could claim it as a warranty procedure. My truck really should not have any grime, it has less than 1800miles on it. My dealer did top up my fluid level once already too. That was why I took it back the second time. They said sometimes the fluid levels tend to be a little low but in my case it never helped.

In order to get my truck to do it fairly repeatibly I slow to about 20kph (12mph) like you would rounding a corner and then get back on the gas. Try this on your own and see if you can get it to do it repeatedly and if you can take your service manager for a drive. My first time in the service manager couldn't experience it but then I had him do as I explained and he got it. I talked to him last week and he said he has since driven a few more new Tundras and they behave the same way. Still no fix from Toyota.

I did get a response back from Toyota Canada. Basically it was a blow job letter. They said they don't know anything about the problem and to confer with my local service manager over any warranty issues. I replied telling them to confer with the service manager since he has experienced this issues multiple times on multiple trucks now.

Thanks for your post.....keep pushing forward until they fix this properly.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
I should see if my dealer is willing to try a transmission flush as an experiment. I mean he likely could claim it as a warranty procedure. My truck really should not have any grime, it has less than 1800miles on it. My dealer did top up my fluid level once already too. That was why I took it back the second time. They said sometimes the fluid levels tend to be a little low but in my case it never helped.

In order to get my truck to do it fairly repeatibly I slow to about 20kph (12mph) like you would rounding a corner and then get back on the gas. Try this on your own and see if you can get it to do it repeatedly and if you can take your service manager for a drive. My first time in the service manager couldn't experience it but then I had him do as I explained and he got it. I talked to him last week and he said he has since driven a few more new Tundras and they behave the same way. Still no fix from Toyota.

I did get a response back from Toyota Canada. Basically it was a blow job letter. They said they don't know anything about the problem and to confer with my local service manager over any warranty issues. I replied telling them to confer with the service manager since he has experienced this issues multiple times on multiple trucks now.

Thanks for your post.....keep pushing forward until they fix this properly.
Im taking my truck for an oil change this week. Im going to see what my dealer has to say about it. If you can PM me a copy of the letter I will be happy to send it in.

thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is only a form that you fill out online at the Toyota website so it was not an offical letter I sent. I just wrote up the details of the problem in their submittal form. It likely wouldn't hurt for everyone having this issue to do that and compare notes on their reply. You will likely get the same handjob I did but perhaps if they get enough it might give them some pause to actually acknowledge there is an issue many of us are having.

My truck is going in again next week for some diagnosis. I've been fairly persistant with my dealer and I will admit my service manager is working for me and he is honest about his findings. He said he was in touch with an engineer and they wanted to collect some diagnostic information. Still pisses me off I have to be doing all of this in the first place.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
I doubt they will fix this. Though I will have them check it out. I plan on getting the extended waranty before my 3/36 is up. It will be worth the 800-900$

·
Registered
62 Posts
I doubt they will fix this. Though I will have them check it out. I plan on getting the extended waranty before my 3/36 is up. It will be worth the 800-900$
Funny you should say that. I was thinking about the extended warranty tonight as well. I planned on keeping the truck for a long time it might be in my best interests to buy it as well. I have 3 years before I need to decide but things haven't gotten off to a great start.

The more I dig around various Tundra forums the more I am finding about similar shifting issues. Lots of people call it shift lag or something similar but I'm sure it's the same issue they are trying to explain. Some of the dealer feedback those guys have received was that this is "normal". I can't see how when the transmission dis-connects intermittently that this is normal. As soon as you are on the gas the torque convertor should be locked up and engaged in a gear.

I did get another email reply from Toyota today and they have assigned an offical ticket # to my complaint and are engaged with my dealership now. They mentioned that someone would be contacting me by phone as well. In my last correspondence I told them I didn't care if they acknowledged the issue or not I just wanted logged correspondence with them in case this issue causes me to be involved in a traffic accident.

I drove to work on icey streets about a month ago and when I rounded a corner the transmission did this hiccup shift and when it kicked in it caused the ass end of the truck to step out on me. Had someone been meeting me from the other direction it's possible they could have been struck. It might not be the easiest thing to prove legally if it ever came to it but I think they finally heard my message.

Cheers!

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
My dealer said they could not find anything wrong and of course there are no stored codes :-(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the bad luck.

I am about to buy a new Tundra and hate to think a brand new 35k truck may have issues. The color I want wasn't on the floor so they'll probably have to do a dealer trade. If they do, I'll make sure to drive the truck in the manner described prior to signing on the bottom line to see if I can duplicate this issue. If it doesn't do this right off the showroom floor, does it stand to reason it won't pop up in 500 miles or 5,000?

Greg

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dealer said they could not find anything wrong and of course there are no stored codes :-(

Mine is at the dealer right now for data collection on this issue. I guess I am at least lucky in that my service manager was able to duplicate my issue and has acknowledged there is something not right.

Greg: I think so long as you get a truck that works right from the start you will be ok. I won't kid you though, I'm disappointed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So just an update for you all. I was away on holidays for the last 2 weeks of Feb. and I left my Tundra with the service manager. When I got back I talked to him and he told me there is nothing he can do to fix this shifting issue. In his opinion it's software related and not mechanical and as of right now there is no fix available from Toyota.

So after 4 months and 5 trips to the dealer for them to basically not be able to do anything I have gone back to the Sales department. I have offered to pay the difference to move up to the 5.7L package and I have offered this as a last resort. If they don't accept those terms I am going to ask for my money back.

I didn't pay out all this money to be a beta tester for Toyota nor play the wait and see game meanwhile driving a truck that irritates me everytime I get behind the wheel. The last few days I have been getting the run around but I think tomorrow I will have to give my dealer a deadline and get a commitment from them.

To date Toyota tells me that there have not been many reporting this mis-shifting problem so those of you that are having it I encourage you to write a complaint and open a file with them on their Website.

·
AuburnTigerTundra
2008 Tundra 4x4 Crew
29 Posts
So just an update for you all. I was away on holidays for the last 2 weeks of Feb. and I left my Tundra with the service manager. When I got back I talked to him and he told me there is nothing he can do to fix this shifting issue. In his opinion it's software related and not mechanical and as of right now there is no fix available from Toyota.

So after 4 months and 5 trips to the dealer for them to basically not be able to do anything I have gone back to the Sales department. I have offered to pay the difference to move up to the 5.7L package and I have offered this as a last resort. If they don't accept those terms I am going to ask for my money back.

I didn't pay out all this money to be a beta tester for Toyota nor play the wait and see game meanwhile driving a truck that irritates me everytime I get behind the wheel. The last few days I have been getting the run around but I think tomorrow I will have to give my dealer a deadline and get a commitment from them.

To date Toyota tells me that there have not been many reporting this mis-shifting problem so those of you that are having it I encourage you to write a complaint and open a file with them on their Website.
I understand that you are frustrated, but I don't think trading in for a 5.7 will make a difference. They seem to all do it. I have an 08 5.7 CM and mine does it, my neighbor has a 5.7 extended cab and his does it, and the guy at the dealership who I talked to about it a year ago does it. What I have noticed is exactly what someone spoke about earlier about closed loops and open loops. It does it mostly in the mornings when it first starts. I really don't notice it later in the day when it's running. There might be a good reason for it.... Maybe not, but I really don't notice it that much. I just think you won't be satisfied with a 5.7 if it's a huge deal to you. Now if you just want the 5.7 than I can't blame you, it's pretty awesome. Again I'm sorry for the frustration, but I don't want you to get even more frustrated. It's a great truck that is a little groggy in the mornings. If I was hauling all that crap around I would be a little funky for the first couple of miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have driven a couple of 5.7L's while they were doing diagnostics on my truck. The ones I drove I never encountered the same issue. In fact the entire shifting was much more of what I would expect from a 6-speed.
I do know that some people here have mentioned their 5.7's do it too but I'm willing to give one a try as a last resort. This is a big deal to me, a transmission that dumps into gear after letting the engine rev is not normal and long term can't be good for it especially pulling or hauling a load.

Twice this winter mine has done this on me and when the tranny did engage the ass end kicked out on me. I've got to be paranoid everytime I slow to round a corner now as I never know when it might decide to act up.

There are some other small things I find Toyota really dropped the ball on as well which I would be willing to over look but this powertrain issue is not one of them.

·
AuburnTigerTundra
2008 Tundra 4x4 Crew
29 Posts
I have driven a couple of 5.7L's while they were doing diagnostics on my truck. The ones I drove I never encountered the same issue. In fact the entire shifting was much more of what I would expect from a 6-speed.
I do know that some people here have mentioned their 5.7's do it too but I'm willing to give one a try as a last resort. This is a big deal to me, a transmission that dumps into gear after letting the engine rev is not normal and long term can't be good for it especially pulling or hauling a load.

Twice this winter mine has done this on me and when the tranny did engage the ass end kicked out on me. I've got to be paranoid everytime I slow to round a corner now as I never know when it might decide to act up.

There are some other small things I find Toyota really dropped the ball on as well which I would be willing to over look but this powertrain issue is not one of them.
yea. I don't have any issues about my tail end kicking out. I think what the 5.7's on here are referring to is just the car almost feeling like it's in neutral when taking a turn when it's cold. Mine happens to be more on right turns.... Don't know why. If you have driven the 5.7's and haven't noticed the issue, then maybe it's a different issue than we are describing. Another thing it could be is the nanny controls. Have you tried turning it off ... Bot permanantly because that is just silly, but just to see if it prevents it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
yea. I don't have any issues about my tail end kicking out. I think what the 5.7's on here are referring to is just the car almost feeling like it's in neutral when taking a turn when it's cold. Mine happens to be more on right turns.... Don't know why. If you have driven the 5.7's and haven't noticed the issue, then maybe it's a different issue than we are describing. Another thing it could be is the nanny controls. Have you tried turning it off ... Bot permanantly because that is just silly, but just to see if it prevents it?
No I have not tried turning off the nanny devices and really I shouldn't have to.

My meeting with them today was somewhat productive. My dealer wants to help and they have acknowledged the problem, which is at least better than some of you are encountering. The issue is Toyota and their lovely bureaucracy, they are hiding within. Toyota is basically saying that there are not enough reported cases of this issue to do anything about it. I mean there could potentially be a fix released but who knows when that will be, if ever.

Any of you guys currently experiencing this issue I encourage you to have your service managers open a report as well as each of you visit the Toyota website in your region and file a complaint. If they need more reported instances then lets give it to them.

My dealer has agreed to try the transmission oil flush to see if that helps. One member here said his father did that on his and it worked as a fix for him. It's a low cost idea worth trying. I will let you guys know the result when I get it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's been quite awhile since I posted here and especially on this topic. I had some difficult negotiations going on between myself and my dealership so I wanted to keep my public comments to a minimum until I reached a resolution with them.

My dealership fully acknowlegded this shifting issue. In fact, they tested other new Tundras that were doing the same thing.
The troubles I had were from Toyota. They simply would not believe or investigate this low speed shifting problem properly. After six months of back and forth my dealer was essentially telling me I have to live with this problem. When I brought up them providing me with another vehicle they said they would do it for about $6K difference. Because my current truck was now used. You can imagine I didn't jump all over that deal.

They did try the transmission flush as their expense and it made no difference.

So as a compromise I told them I would accept the extended warranty on the vehicle. After all the bull of running back and forth and letting them test the truck. They came back and said they would pay half of the exteneded warranty cost. I went back and said they would pay it all. It was the only piece of mind I was going to get out of this vehicle purchase and I damn sure was not going to pay for half.

In the end they agreed but not before I threatened reporting them to Industry Canada (who inspects vehicle flaws) and also sending a full report of my research to all of their competitors in the city. They don't know how close I was to doing both of those things before they finally agreed to cover the warranty.

Needless to say I'm not too impressed with Toyota and my dealership. I made my choice on this vehicle and now I have to keep it for awhile to avoid losing my ass in re-sale. The day will come when I can get rid of it and perhaps there will be a fix before then.

Hopefully some of you other guys with this issue have had better luck than me. Perhaps we need to start a Facebook group to get some attention brought to Toyota on this problem.

·
Registered
07 TOYOTA TUNDRA
24 Posts
I Have My Truck Lifted And Supercharged... Im Running 37" Tires.... It Feels Like Its Slipping... Even Before I Supercharged It Ive Went Through 2 Trannys... I Have Problems With Rear Ends... Thats My Clunk... When Acelerating And Decelerating... Ive Went Through 3 Of Them Too... I Love The Power Of The Supercharged Truck And Love The Whole Package Of The Tundra But Hate Going Through Rear Ends And Trannys... They Are Going To Stop Warranty On Them At Some Point... I Dont Off Road My Truck Or Pull It... Its For Looks Only... I Drive Fast And Whatever But It Shouldnt Be Going Through Trannys And Rear Ends Like This...

21 - 40 of 63 Posts