Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I Have My Truck Lifted And Supercharged... Im Running 37" Tires.... It Feels Like Its Slipping... Even Before I Supercharged It Ive Went Through 2 Trannys... I Have Problems With Rear Ends... Thats My Clunk... When Acelerating And Decelerating... Ive Went Through 3 Of Them Too... I Love The Power Of The Supercharged Truck And Love The Whole Package Of The Tundra But Hate Going Through Rear Ends And Trannys... They Are Going To Stop Warranty On Them At Some Point... I Dont Off Road My Truck Or Pull It... Its For Looks Only... I Drive Fast And Whatever But It Shouldnt Be Going Through Trannys And Rear Ends Like This...
I'm surprised you can even get warranty on these components after you put on a supercharger.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Took mine in this morning and they said the trans is normal for a Toyota. I also told them about the gas pedal being to sensitive. When I went to pick it up they told me the tech reset the computer and was driving it right now the way I do so the pedal will learn my style of driving. I almost laughed when he told me that. I'm beginning to believe the whole company is full of sh$$. I did call him on the way home to tell him the throttle was the same as when I came in. He told me to bring it back and the service manager will drive it. I wonder what bs he will come up with?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took my truck back in this morning and the service writer had the shop manager go with me for a ride. I showed him what was happening and told him to drive it. He said the throttle is not overly sensitive and the clunking when leaving a dead stop was normal for Toyota. He did say they have been fighting this for a few years now. When we got back he took the truck into the shop to add lube to the drive shaft. He told me that will probably fix the clunking for approximately 30 to 40k miles. Well guess what, my drive shaft isn't one that can be serviced so I drove home in the same condition as when I got their. They won that one. I really like the truck so I will drive it and put these things behind me until or if they get worse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I took my truck back in this morning and the service writer had the shop manager go with me for a ride. I showed him what was happening and told him to drive it. He said the throttle is not overly sensitive and the clunking when leaving a dead stop was normal for Toyota. He did say they have been fighting this for a few years now. When we got back he took the truck into the shop to add lube to the drive shaft. He told me that will probably fix the clunking for approximately 30 to 40k miles. Well guess what, my drive shaft isn't one that can be serviced so I drove home in the same condition as when I got their. They won that one. I really like the truck so I will drive it and put these things behind me until or if they get worse.
I have started to notice my truck doing the start/stop clunk as well. Probably due to the excessively hard shift that the transmission throws at it.

Sounds like you have pretty much been going through the exact same crap I have. I did email the service manager to complain about the gas pedal and they are going to install a new one for me. Apparently after the recall the pedals have been loosened up and I was not the first customer to complain about the issue.

I get the new pedal next week sometime so when it's installed I will let you know what I think. I have personally gotten used to the pedal so I don't have many lurch events anymore. I did try an experiment and let my wife drive it (who normally doesn't) just to see how she was. Yea I very nearly had whiplash by the time we got home.

The true test of how sensitive the pedal is comes when you are 4x4ing. I was at a customer site that was all mud and I was in 4x4 bouncing around their crappy roads and you think I could hold a steady speed while bouncing around....it was a bitch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just what I was looking for!

We bought a 2010 Plat Sequoia a month ago and have had this problem since day 1. The problem is hard to duplicate, it just happens randomly, but now I have a starting point when I go back to the dealer.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello all, if you continue to have issues like this, have the trans fluid level checked. A lot of the trans problems are due to the fluid level being low. About 6 out 10 trucks have this problem ...............

LOW FLUID LEVEL.................

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello all, if you continue to have issues like this, have the trans fluid level checked. A lot of the trans problems are due to the fluid level being low. About 6 out 10 trucks have this problem ...............

LOW FLUID LEVEL.................
I have had my fluid level checked, topped up and finally changed. It still does the low speed shifting hunt. The service manager at my dealer said that multiple new trucks he was test driving we also doing it. I explained to him in detail how I was able to make it hunt.

My guess is that most of the new generation Tundra's do it. I bet if I took trucks from the members here for a drive I could make it shift hunt on about 80% of them. Either alot of people don't notice, don't care, or don't know any different. Until it's an epidemic Toyota won't do diddley about it.

The other notable thing about this problem is that it has shown up in other platforms as well. Minivans and Tacomas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just make sure the technician follows all the manual on how to check the fluid level. Not normal thing to do on any toyota with WS fluid.
Another thing that should be done, after the fluid level check is to reset the ecm, and road test for apprx. 10 miles around town, stop and go traffic. ( no hard accel. on road test)... The ecm as a learning curve to throtlle input and wheel spin.....
I've done a bunch of these, only two came back, about six months later. Probably due to driver pattern.
My truck started doing the same gear hunting at about 3k miles. All i did was top of the fluid and it's been fine since.....
I believe the longer the truck is driven around with low fluid the worse it gets.....
From all the trucks i see coming thru the shop, a good portion have low fluid.
Hope this help all that are having issues.................

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just make sure the technician follows all the manual on how to check the fluid level. Not normal thing to do on any toyota with WS fluid.
Another thing that should be done, after the fluid level check is to reset the ecm, and road test for apprx. 10 miles around town, stop and go traffic. ( no hard accel. on road test)... The ecm as a learning curve to throtlle input and wheel spin.....
I've done a bunch of these, only two came back, about six months later. Probably due to driver pattern.
My truck started doing the same gear hunting at about 3k miles. All i did was top of the fluid and it's been fine since.....
I believe the longer the truck is driven around with low fluid the worse it gets.....
From all the trucks i see coming thru the shop, a good portion have low fluid.
Hope this help all that are having issues.................

Are you a tech for Toyota?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you a tech for Toyota?
Yeah.............. for a long time 25+ years
I would not be saying all this without the proper info....
I also own a 2008 tundra trd loaded..............
Like i said before mine did the same thing, and that's how i got it to go way for good....
There's a very narrow windown to check the trans fluid properly. The best time to check it is on a cold start and within 10 minutes of starting the truck. The fluid is very sencetive to heat.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you're a Toyota tech, then you know that you should check the ATF at its proper temperature range that Toyota requires. 10 minutes from cold is meaningless.

Not much we can do for poor transmission programming.

Maybe if you're lucky, your dealer can verify that you have the lastest firmware for your ECU. And, have it updated if you don't. This depends on dealer and techs competence as most are pathetic without a TSB thrown in their face. And, they won't be too proactive without one.

Have the dealer reset the adaptive programming.

·
nicely retired
60 Posts
Right.....

If you're a Toyota tech, then you know that you should check the ATF at its proper temperature range that Toyota requires. 10 minutes from cold is meaningless.

Maybe if you're lucky, your dealer can verify that you have the lastest firmware for your ECU. And, have it updated if you don't. This depends on dealer and techs competence as most are pathetic without a TSB thrown in their face. And, they won't be too proactive without one.

Normal operating temperature for ANY automatic transmission is 160-200 degrees F. Checking an automatic transmission when cold is just to insure it has enough fluid to run the transmission to operating temp. Both a low and over filled transmission will shift improperly and if left in either condition will cause arriation of the fluid and cause excessive clutch wear.

The symptoms described in this thread is a definite transmission problem and if the dealership cannot or will not resolve it, be sure to keep all documentation for a later law suit. Write a formal letter to Toyota describing the problem and the dealers response and request a response for your documentation package.

Good luck....

·
nicely retired
60 Posts
Then the ....

The Tundra should be checked at 115-133F with the ATF thermostat(if equipped) forced/held open. 160-200 will leave you under filled.
If 115-133F temp is correct, then the Toyota automatic transmission is different than all other automatics. It certainly does not operate at 11`5-133F during normal operation. Where does this temp figure come from?

·
Registered
31 Posts

You have to remember that ws fluid expands at different rate (than say dextronII or even type t4)
thats the reason to check the fluid at that temp. There's a reason toyota does that.....
Also some newer camry, are also on the low side when checked.
The reason you notice this more on the trucks is due to the trans pan being so long, when you have low fluid and come to a slow or complete stop the filter is sucking air into the system.
That what you feel when you get back on the gas, the trans is looking for the right gear.
The ecm knows almost everything thats going on. EXCEPT for low trans fluid level.
The adptive programming is not necessary, if you adjust the fluid to the right level and drive the vehicle for about 600 to 900 miles, the ecm will learn your driving habit.
Hope you understand all this. Lots of things have changed in the auto industry. Fluids being a major part of maintenance.
It sounds odd, but todays cars and trucks dont operate like mom or dads car did 5 or 10 ago.
The part about the tsb thrown in our faces wont get you or anyone at my dealership any closer to getting your car or truck fixed.
Remember it's the owners reponsibility to maintain there vehicle in working order.
When was the last time anyone had there car fully serviced at the dealer? I know is too much money. You get what you paid for....
Last but not least, i'm on here to try and understand what you boys and maybe some girls have issues with.
Not trying to pick on anyone.... just trying telling everyone what i see coming thru the door everyday.......

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Whats there to understand?

Adaptive programming is slow. And, multiple drivers can screw it up. And, initial adaptive doesn't adapt over given mileage. Initial learn is important.

WS expansion rate is irrelevant. Fluid is checked at given temp because thats the temp they calibrated it for. Thats it. Nothing here to question or understand. The temp is a fact.

The problem is in the programming. The transmission is trying to hold the highest gear possible, and always slow to downshift especially when coming to a full stop, as a rolling stop will almost always hold 2nd. It has NOTHING to do with the ATF pump's pickup taking in air from ATF sloshing around. You could actually verify this as a tech. Just monitor the solenoids. They're not triggering, and the shift occurs when they do. Problem is, the programming makes us wait for it.

I find that ALL automakers have issues with initial fill. Too many components are either grossly under filled or overfilled. I always thought that tech/dealer would recheck during vehicle inspection prior to being sold. Who knows whether that inspection is any good or even thoroughly done!!

Yeah, todays' cars are similar enough to 5-10 years ago. Don't even know why that was even mentioned.

Obviously, any dealer that is clueless about a known issue, and refuses to acknowledge it when presented with it, should be avoided. None of my cars have ever been serviced by the dealer if I could avoid it. Recalls/TSBs are it. Most dealers, and techs, as seen with all the online complaints and online misinformation, are lacking some needed skills.

Owners responsibility to maintain? How is a transmission, that isn't working right from new, an issue with owners maintenance responsibility? Sorry, thats Toyotas responsibility and is poorly conveyed by/to the dealerships and their technicians.

I remember when the same bs was given to the owners of the Camry when it came with a 6-speed. No different here. Denial denial denial denial denial, plea the 5th Toyota.

·
Registered
21 Posts
torque converter??

Try driving 20mph and apply brakes hard. when your truck stops push the gas. Does it rev high then engage? I had a 2007 5.7 double cab that had the "rumble strip" transmission problem Toyota replaced the trans and torque converter. It started doing the rev and engage hard problem. Turned out to be a bad torque converter. They replaced it with what they said was a revised converter. No problems since.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Whats there to understand?

Adaptive programming is slow. And, multiple drivers can screw it up. And, initial adaptive doesn't adapt over given mileage. Initial learn is important.
I agree with the slow adaptive programming completely. I had nearly 6000 miles on my truck after a year and the transmission never shifted intelligently since day 1. It would always upshift way to fast, not downshift under moderate acceleration and when I used cruise control and hit resume the damn thing would pretty much floor the accelerator to get back up to speed.

I have had my transmission oil checked twice and changed once to try to resolve my shifting hunt issues to no avail.

Per Outsider's comments I reset my ECU on my own. It's a difference of night and day in the way the truck drives. It now shifts properly however I still do get the occasional shifting hunt at low speeds usually when the truck is cold. Still it's much much better than it was. So it just goes to show you how "adaptive" the system really is. It drove this way for a year.

One other thing I had them do was to replace my gas pedal. Every since they did the mod to mine the sensitivity at low speed and from a stand still was ridiculous. You could barely touch the pedal soft enough to keep the truck from doing a 1/4 mile racing start.

Anyhow, I'm much happier with the way my truck drives, it's still got the low speed shifting quirk but it's alot better overall. The resume on cruise control has also smoothed out since the ECU reset.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
22 Participants
Igor1949
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing