Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in to move the car, turned the key and wouln't start. No noise except a slight click but nothing like the starter motor is trying to engage, or anything like that. So, maybe a coincidence that this happened about 10 days after replacement of the transmission, so obvious things to check are the solenoid and the ignition switch. But there must be some sensor that tells the system that the car is in park or neutral so it's OK to start. I ran my code checker, but none came up for transmission or ECM. So, I guess I check the starter/solenoid by jumping the electrical at the starter/solenoid. If that starts the car, is it safe to assume it is the ignition switch? Or should I look elsewhere and if so, where? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
284 Posts
Hit the starter with a hammer a few times then try to start it that’s how we test if starters are bad if it starts after tapping it with the hammer then that’s the problem is the starter most likely it is not going to be the ignition switch they rarely ever fail ever

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hit the starter with a hammer a few times then try to start it that’s how we test if starters are bad if it starts after tapping it with the hammer then that’s the problem is the starter most likely it is not going to be the ignition switch they rarely ever fail ever
Thanks, Car is at the shop. Will remember the hammer trick and that ignition switches rarely fail.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
284 Posts
Thanks, Car is at the shop. Will remember the hammer trick and that ignition switches rarely fail.
Ok yeah just remember that it is good tricks to know. Let me know what was wrong with it that’s strange it doing that but sometimes if you tamper with things sometimes they don’t work again lol

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Try a new battery or charge it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts