Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my 2010 Camry died out on me 4x yesterday. I got it home and there was PS Fluid all over. The ✔engine light and the traction control light were on and the temp gauge was all the way down past Cold. Also seems to have thrown Freon(a silver liquid) all over. I think my tensioner pulleys need replaced. It did start again each time and I made it the half mile home. Where it seems to be running fine. I filled the PS Fluid and none is leaking since. When running it makes a noise and the thinner belt at the bottom hiccups, for lack of a better word. Kind of stops and jumps for a split second. Anyway when I google for the tensioner pulleys it only shows for a serpentine belt. I know there are 2 different belts and the one I want is the thinner of the 2 on the bottom and there are also 2 pulleys on there. What is the pulley and belt that I want to replace called, please?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like a lot has happened on your car. Is your coolant filled? The temp gauge tells me that your thermostat is broken. Your AC compressor probably needs to be replaced, or you might want to check your AC lines for freon leakage, as the compressor uses freon to cool air to send through your vents when your AC is on. The type of belt you get depends on what engine you have, either the i4 or the V6 engine. Pictures/more details would help significantly here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after it started acting ok again the temp gauge was back to normal. The air is working well but like I said there is silver spots everywhere. It is a 2.5/4 cylinder. I will take a photo in the daylight. Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I'm back. FYI, it seems that the Check Engine and Traction Control lights are the basic indicators that something is wrong, just not telling what is wrong. The 2 together came on when I needed a battery. When I needed an alternator. When I needed some pulleys. And now they are on together again. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

So in the past 3 months I have gotten a new Alternator and Battery, both tensioner pulleys and new belts to go on them. The water pump fell apart when installing the a/c and accessories pulley so that's now new too. The pulleys, belts and pump have been done this week and it no longer makes the horrid noise and I got to drive it for about 30 miles and it seemed to be running really well but those dasturdly 2 lights came back on. Needless to say, when they make theirselves known my response is to park it cause idw break down again. And that brings us up to date right now.

P0300, P303, P308. Random multiple misfire, cylinder 3 and 4.
Ignition coils all firing at 1.0 Ohms.

So what do I do now? Anybody? Please offer your thoughts and ideas.
Thanks-Karen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just so stuck. Idw put out the money fir a new fuel pump or O2 sensor if I don't need either of those. Why has all of this stuff gone bad at basically the same time. Aren't car parts supposed to give us a teensy break in between failures so we can get back on our feet financially before being blindsided again? Lol!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If the car is maintained, sure. Failures would be less.
If repairs are done correctly, then causing new failures would be less likely.

Something is wrong with the mechanic doing the work. Get a new mechanic.

Reactions: Donald E George

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the car has been serviced by the certified Toyota Technicians at the dealer where my Dad bought it. Never missed a serviced, ever. It is just the time that it is a 10 yr old car and things are starting to wear out. I inherited the car and I am not rich like Dad was and can't really afford the Toyota Dealership and so am trying to figure out the problem and just fix it. That's why I came to this Forum. But it's all good. I talked to a guy today at a Ford dealership and he is going to put it on the computer from the Snap On guy this week and we will figure it out. But hey, thanks for being ever so not helpful and for having such a great (terrible) disposition. In the future when you don't have any idea of an answer to someones question perhaps you could just keep your fingers off your keypad instead of being such an ass. Do have a nice day.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
288 Posts
Wow I am a dealership mechanic and not even I have seen this many problems with these even if it is 10 years old everything should last till then except the regular stuff and maybe the belts but the water pump shouldn’t have failed like that. I am not saying anything bad just saying that is surprising especially with regular maintenance like that. It sounds like something might be wrong with the whole thing but I have never seen things go bad like that and usually Freon is yellow like coolant usually isn’t silver unless yours has the new fluid in it the R134YF instead of the R134A

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow I am a dealership mechanic and not even I have seen this many problems with these even if it is 10 years old everything should last till then except the regular stuff and maybe the belts but the water pump shouldn’t have failed like that. I am not saying anything bad just saying that is surprising especially with regular maintenance like that. It sounds like something might be wrong with the whole thing but I have never seen things go bad like that and usually Freon is yellow like coolant usually isn’t silver unless yours has the new fluid in it the R134YF instead of the R134A
I couldn't agree more. Likely just because I own it and I have crap luck. Seems to be running ok now. No lights coming on. But when I get to 54mph it does start a scary noise. Idk what it is. Yeah, that water pump literally came apart when it was touched after replacing the a/c and accessories pulley and belt. I can't swear it was freon but ut was a silver color. I can't think of any other fluid it would have been.

So no ideas then?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Likely just because I own it and I have crap luck. Seems to be running ok now. No lights coming on. But when I get to 54mph it does start a scary noise. Idk what it is. Yeah, that water pump literally came apart when it was touched after replacing the a/c and accessories pulley and belt. I can't swear it was freon but ut was a silver color. I can't think of any other fluid it would have been.

So no ideas then?
What kind of noise is it making at 54mph? And it could of been Freon.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,693 Posts
You stated above the "air is working." I take it the A/C is putting out cool/cold air. Should be about 40F depending on relative humidity. I am not familiar with your vehicle drive belt arrangement, but if your Camry has a belt tensioner, the serpentine belt should drive all accessories. You mentioned a second belt("thinner"). Does the vehicle have two accessory drive belts?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
9,113 Posts
You stated above the "air is working." I take it the A/C is putting out cool/cold air. Should be about 40F depending on relative humidity. I am not familiar with your vehicle drive belt arrangement, but if your Camry has a belt tensioner, the serpentine belt should drive all accessories. You mentioned a second belt("thinner"). Does the vehicle have two accessory drive belts?
2AR-FE uses two belts. Older 2AZ-FE uses one belt.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well, the car has been serviced by the certified Toyota Technicians at the dealer where my Dad bought it. Never missed a serviced, ever. It is just the time that it is a 10 yr old car and things are starting to wear out. I inherited the car and I am not rich like Dad was and can't really afford the Toyota Dealership
But you're not telling us how long you've had it. If Dad had it 7 years and you've been driving it 3 years that's a long time to be neglecting maintenance. Especially since an old car is going to require more frequent inspections and repairs than a new car.

My guess would be that the water pump has been going out for a while . The OP didn't have the money to get the noise checked out and kept driving. It eventually wore out enough that belt was no longer to easily spin it and started to slip. The engine trying to turn with a pulley that bad off will stall from the load. The poorly running engine was off time and triggered the misfire codes.

That's all just a guess based on what I've read. But the point is that when you have an old car (10 years is old for a daily driver) you have to be under the hood and more proactive often. I totally understand being on a tight budget, been there done that. But I also know that eating hot dogs on sliced bread with a glass of water every night for dinner and cancelling you cable is sometimes what you have to do to afford to get your car fixed, been there and done that. It's cheaper to have it properly diagnosed and fixed rather than firing the parts cannon at it. But since you managed to come up with the money to do all the repairs you've done.....

In the future when you don't have any idea of an answer to someones question perhaps you could just keep your fingers off your keypad instead of being such an ass.
It's called constructive criticism. You came here for advice and sometimes the advice you get is not what you want but what you need. We all make mistakes but the important thing is to learn from them and never repeat them. In the future don't ignore loud noises and keep driving. Open the hood and inspect your belts, hoses, fluid levels and check for leaks on a regular basis. You have an old car, it's going to start having parts break. But regular maintenance and inspections and repairing minor problems is cheaper than buying another car or replacing an engine or transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of noise is it making at 54mph? And it could of been Freon.
@AutoMechanic Ok, it's definitely a rotational noise, metal on metal. Fast paced. Click, click, click, click, click. Gawd that's was worse than actually trying to make the sound in a garage. Starts right at 55mph and when I slow below that it starts. I did this 3-4x that night and haven't had it above that since.

@rl1990 Dad bought it new and passed 4yrs ago August. I've had it since. My ex guy was a service tech and kept it up as far as routine maintenance and these are the 1st things that have went bad except for the PS line leak that he cut off and redid the end on because it is a $200 part.

I totally agree about hearing the and kept driving. It crept up on me and I listen to very loud Rock n Roll. At first I thought the noise from the pulleys was a hole in the exhaust. I live in WV and potholes are abundant. I have had no leaks, smoke, smells or any other indications that anything was wrong except that noise which I knew was metal on plastic so didn't think it was a big deal and with iu6r breakup there were other things financially that needed my attention and I thought it could wait. I was wrong. But with the new pulleys, belts, and water pump he is running as silently as he ever did now except at over 55mph. One of the techs said he can put it on the big computer next week and thinks the time has jumped, but idt it would run if the time jumped. But he could be fooling with me. He tends to do that. Right now, other than I can't go super fast, it is like a new car.

As to the comment about constructive criticism, I can take it when given with tact and without plain old meanness. There is a difference and that comment was plain rudeness. I may be a girl, I may not-so my friend beside me said, lol, boy I'm far from stupid and have even rebuilt a carburator or 2 or 10 in my day, but this newfangledy crap I don't get and having in a relationship for 17yrs and him doing all this I lost my confidence. People should just be nicer when other's are stress out. Thank you for the input. I will take it to heart.

I really appreciate all of your guyes input to my problem and hope I can get this figured out soon.

·
Registered
406 Posts
As a side note, we can all fall prey to our own habit of driving only when the stereo is on, and for those who "crank it" all the time that means you are not going to be hearing telltale signs of issues before failure.

Just like I recommend that anyone who has a car with power windows/seats/mirrors, etc., take the time, at least once a month, to run each and every one of those to keep things from freezing, I suggest the same for driving one time per month without any music or other sound playing, and during a "typical" drive, not a 2-minute run down the street. Once the car has warmed up, and you've been "at speed" for a short while, you can pretty safely assume you've heard all you're going to hear for that particular trip/listening cycle. Make sure to do it again on some regular interval.

Most mechanical systems do give signs, very often in the form of sounds, of impending issues, whether those issues include complete failure or not. Also, as a car ages, there can be various rattles and creaks that are a part of "normal aging." Over time you learn what's normal for your particular vehicle versus what's not, and that's how you can tell something's "gone off."

·
Registered
244 Posts
To add to what you said, start it up and open the hood. Listen to the engine running for unusual sounds. Check out all the pulleys to see if they are spinning properly and not wobbling. Check to see if the cooling fans are running as they should. In the summer feel the low pressure A/C line to see if it's getting cold. All of that can be done in a minute or two but it tells you a lot about the health of the engine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
@AutoMechanic Ok, it's definitely a rotational noise, metal on metal. Fast paced. Click, click, click, click, click. Gawd that's was worse than actually trying to make the sound in a garage. Starts right at 55mph and when I slow below that it starts. I did this 3-4x that night and haven't had it above that since.

@rl1990 Dad bought it new and passed 4yrs ago August. I've had it since. My ex guy was a service tech and kept it up as far as routine maintenance and these are the 1st things that have went bad except for the PS line leak that he cut off and redid the end on because it is a $200 part.

I totally agree about hearing the and kept driving. It crept up on me and I listen to very loud Rock n Roll. At first I thought the noise from the pulleys was a hole in the exhaust. I live in WV and potholes are abundant. I have had no leaks, smoke, smells or any other indications that anything was wrong except that noise which I knew was metal on plastic so didn't think it was a big deal and with iu6r breakup there were other things financially that needed my attention and I thought it could wait. I was wrong. But with the new pulleys, belts, and water pump he is running as silently as he ever did now except at over 55mph. One of the techs said he can put it on the big computer next week and thinks the time has jumped, but idt it would run if the time jumped. But he could be fooling with me. He tends to do that. Right now, other than I can't go super fast, it is like a new car.

As to the comment about constructive criticism, I can take it when given with tact and without plain old meanness. There is a difference and that comment was plain rudeness. I may be a girl, I may not-so my friend beside me said, lol, boy I'm far from stupid and have even rebuilt a carburator or 2 or 10 in my day, but this newfangledy crap I don't get and having in a relationship for 17yrs and him doing all this I lost my confidence. People should just be nicer when other's are stress out. Thank you for the input. I will take it to heart.

I really appreciate all of your guyes input to my problem and hope I can get this figured out soon.
That noise sounds like bearings to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@guyslp @AutoMechanic That's very good advice.

I'm gonna try and figure out if I can upload a 10 sec video for sound that I took tonight. Idk if the site allows that or not but if so it. is short and clear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, it says it's too big. It is only 5 seconds so idk how that can be but it is. Darnit. It's clear as a bell too. Oh well. It is what it is, I suppose. I will take it in to Ray Monday and hope he can find time for it.

Thanks so much for all the advice and sorry to have wasted y'all's time. Until next time then- Karen

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, it says it's too big. It is only 5 seconds so idk how that can be but it is. Darnit. It's clear as a bell too. Oh well. It is what it is, I suppose. I will take it in to Ray Monday and hope he can find time for it.

Thanks so much for all the advice and sorry to have wasted y'all's time. Until next time then- Karen
You didn’t waste our time I enjoy helping people lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts