Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 camry LE 4 cyl seem to be noisy and a bit too much vibration when cold start like in the morning..

during the day when starting engine not as noisy or vibrate as much. anybody notice the same?

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Overnight your car will be really cold, there is no sunlight beating down on it to keep it warm so to speak. During the day since the sun is out it warms up your car, warming up the temperature in the engine compartment, there by keeping the engine a bit warmer at start up. Don't you notice that it takes your car longer to warm up from sitting overnight than it does during the day?

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Yawn......

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
Overnight your car will be really cold, there is no sunlight beating down on it to keep it warm so to speak. During the day since the sun is out it warms up your car, warming up the temperature in the engine compartment, there by keeping the engine a bit warmer at start up. Don't you notice that it takes your car longer to warm up from sitting overnight than it does during the day?

i cannot believe i just lost 1 minute of my life, reading this horse pucky........:headbang:

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
2010 camry LE 4 cyl seem to be noisy and a bit too much vibration when cold start like in the morning..

during the day when starting engine not as noisy or vibrate as much. anybody notice the same?
Probably because the dual VVT-i system isn't operating during cold starts. Takes a bit longer to build oil pressure when cold. The engine runs richer, etc. etc. It'll operate while driving since oil pressure is dependent on RPM.

It's normal.

That and Toyota uses universal pistons for each bore (as opposed to select fit pistons which are costlier), so you'll get a little piston slap until the piston expands to fit the bore properly. Toyota also considers this normal.

Reactions: michaelscai

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
4cyl. are always loud. V6 FTW!! lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
4cyl. are always loud. V6 FTW!! lol
10 years ago I bought a 2.2L 4 cyl camry solara, I wished everyday that I bought the V6 instead.

With the 2.5 L 4 cyl of my camry going 0-60 in the mid 8 seconds, I have not find myself wishing for a V6 in any situation, I'm perfectly content with the 4 cyl and its close to 30MPG on average with mixed driving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to learn to talk like that when someone ask me a question at work and I don't really know the answer.. :)

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Sorry I'm not great with words like the rest of you pride yourselves on......I explained the best I could. Every car when starting up from overnight sounds like crap at first. Everything from my old Sunfire to my 2011 Camry to my mom's old 97 Eldorado did the same thing.

·
2010 camery le
73 Posts
Hello every one i need some suggestions.. i have a 2010 camery regardless of the time of the day some times when i start my car i am hearing a grinding noise and it will go away the sound is just like ripping of a coke can its not the cold start even if i start with 75 degress outside . u only hear that once in a while i looked up in google what i understand is the problem with worn fly wheel and alternator . second problem is when the car is idle i lesson to the muffler and i am hearing a vibration noise one person told me its a misfiring iam completely disappointed i want to know any 2010 camry owners having similar problem...thkz in advance

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Haven't heard of a Camry that new with that issue yet....seems odd. If it's a 2010 get it looked at, it's still covered under warranty?

·
2010 camery le
73 Posts
thankz for the replay its barely new only have 5000 miles i am so pissed off im going to the dealer today and find out , when i called the tech he said its may be the cold crank, but thats is not that case, after i done with the dealer i gave u an update thkz

·
Banned
Every Toyota
345 Posts
thankz for the replay its barely new only have 5000 miles i am so pissed off im going to the dealer today and find out , when i called the tech he said its may be the cold crank, but thats is not that case, after i done with the dealer i gave u an update thkz
I have noticed this starting up brand new Camry's in the winter. Below 32 degrees the starter and flywheel grind loudly almost every time you start them :ugh3:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm still bother by the loud and vibration(shake? piston slap like someone said?) during cold start of my 2010 camry

the noticable shake or vibration and the loud vroom is a bit annoying. It's worse than most other cars I have.

but it's not to the point of something wrong I need to take it to the dealer.

so you guys are saying it's all normal??

·
イリジウム
13,497 Posts
Have the dealer look at it during your next oil change (you did get the free 2-year maintenance?). I don't think they can do anything about it if it's piston slap. It's the low cost production method toyota is embracing. Toyota does the same with the 3.5L V6. So you have new Lexus on the dealer lot doing the piston slap on cold starts too.

I'm still bother by the loud and vibration(shake? piston slap like someone said?) during cold start of my 2010 camry

the noticable shake or vibration and the loud vroom is a bit annoying. It's worse than most other cars I have.

but it's not to the point of something wrong I need to take it to the dealer.

so you guys are saying it's all normal??

·
Registered
2011 Camry XLE
1,461 Posts
Look into T-SB-0146-10 June 9, 2010

Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup
(1AR/2AR)

2010 – 2011 Camry Engine(s): 2AR
Transmission(s): 6MT, 6AT
VDS(s): BF3EK

Immediately following a cold soak startup, some 2009 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the
1AR-FE and 2AR-FE engines may exhibit a brief knock/rattle noise from the engine compartment for
approximately one second.

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

Camry
4T1BF3EK#BU123642
4T4BF3EK#BR090887
JTNBF3EK#A3005237

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
is my 2010 camry affected by this? my vin is #: 4T4BF3EK0AR04xxxx

also I can't find this TSB online, how do dealers deal with TSB's since it's not really a recall?

This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

Camry
4T1BF3EK#BU123642
4T4BF3EK#BR090887
JTNBF3EK#A3005237

·
Registered
2011 Camry XLE
1,461 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts