Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Camry V6
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2010 Camry V6 for free. It has around 120,000 miles on it and idles well and shifts fine. Everything on the car seems to be good (other than the check engine light is on) but not well maintained other than regular oil changes. While driving it on the highway (for 10 minutes or more) around 70 mph the car just starts to shudder and lose power and if pull over turn the car off and start it back up it is fine for a long period of time and or may not do it again for a couple of days. I don't know about you but sometimes it hard to tell if a shudder is an ignition/fuel issue or a transmission issue; so I took it to my friend that has a transmission shop. He hooked it up to his computer and ran the tests and everything came up good no transmission fault codes, fluid level good. I take it back to my garage hook up my scanner and come up with P0300 (random misfire), P0157 (O2 sensor), and P0301-P0306 misfire each cylinder. Trying to figure out if I want to go down the road of replacing plugs and coils (I am sure they need to be replaced) with the way it is acting after it gets hot on the highway. I did get the car for free so I don't mind putting some money into it if it is not a lost cause. I did do a compression check on the front three cylinders and all came out around 185 psi. Has anyone had an issue like this while running on the HWY and then to turn it off and not act up again for awhile? Any suggestions who be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,872 Posts
You can do a quick test of fuel delivery by monitoring the A/F sensors.
They should maintain a rich fuel indication of around 2-2.5 volts when engine under full 80% load.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
258 Posts
It probably is spark plugs the spark plugs are rated for 100,000 miles so it is probably best to change them anyway and they probably need to be changed and you may want to do the coils too if all the cylinders are misfiring than it’s a wonder it even runs sending all that gas back to the catalytic converter that could damage that too so just be careful

·
Registered
480 Posts
Fuel pressure problems are sometimes throttle dependant(further you push throttle, more it lags). Intermittent problems can be a beotch to track down at times. Being that you restart and run fine rules out a lot of factors if you think about it(plugs, coils, plugged exhaust, etc.). Best advice, get yourself a scanner with live data to help you diagnose on the run.

Best!

·
Registered
09 Camry
3 Posts
Just picked up an 09 Camry with 109K on the odometer. 4 banger. Runs great, tight steering and suspension. Very pleased so far.
Do hear a rattling under right front. I'm thinking its caused by a missing piece of the passenger side splash shield.
I'm liking Camery's

·
Registered
37 Posts
IMHO. Keep it simple. First change the spark plugs. USE OEM. Check the condition of the old plugs. Odds are they are just worn out. Drive the car. See if this fixes the problem.

If still getting a misfire code. Isolate the bad coil. "do the coil trick". (unplug one at a time). No point in buying 6 new ones if only one is bad.

Last, if you are still getting the 02, code, AFTER, you fix the other problems, change the O2 sensor. be sure and change the right one. Before or after your cat.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts