Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to change my 5 Speed Manual transmission on my 2010 corolla in a few days
I searched high and low and everyone keeps telling me to get red line 75w-80 for the Rolla
But the owners manual says 75w only
Is redline Okay or do I get the Ravenol 75w On amazon ??
I already bought the Redline ?
* I looked up my specific Rolla on Redlines website and they recommended 75w-80 weight for the car !
Why does my owners manual specify only 75w ??
I called a dealership as well by the way and they told me to get 75w-80 as well

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,739 Posts
Im going to change my 5 Speed Manual transmission on my 2010 corolla in a few days
I searched high and low and everyone keeps telling me to get red line 75w-80 for the Rolla
But the owners manual says 75w only
Is redline Okay or do I get the Ravenol 75w On amazon ??
I already bought the Redline ?
* I looked up my specific Rolla on Redlines website and they recommended 75w-80 weight for the car !
Why does my owners manual specify only 75w ??
I called a dealership as well by the way and they told me to get 75w-80 as well
If you use Redline the proper choice is MT-LV 70w/75w. The Ravenol J1C1003 SAE 75w is the right choice. Both are excellent. I've used Redline for years with excellent results and I currently have the Ravenol in my 2009 Corolla S Turbo and it's been great too. My car stills shifts like new.

·
Registered
586 Posts
there was an older post about this, some said the 75w 80 caused the gears to grind a little when shifting when it was really cold outside. If I remember right, this problem was happening in canada...

·
Swiftly
71 Posts
Worth a read
The Difference between GL-4 and GL-5 Gear Oils by Richard Widman

#######
Toyota 70W LV Gear was too expensive & its not a full Synthetic, if you leave it longer than 80,000kms/7Yrs you are guaranteed to have a whine in 5th & 6th....despite it not being listed as requiring replacement within 100,000kms or three (3) year warranty period...Not Good, they just want to sell you a new car.

So in the 2009 with 6Sp Manual I'm running:
Was:
Penrite - Progear
70W-75
Full Synthetic
Replaces MG07075

Pro Gear 70W-75 is a Premium Full Synthetic, high performance oil manufactured from a blend of Synthetic base oils including Ester. It uses the latest technology, purpose designed Additives for long service Life and meets the performance requirements of API GL-4 Plus as well as many other manufacturer specifications.

Application
Pro Gear 70W-75 is primarily designed for 5 & 6 speed manual gearboxes and Transaxles in passenger cars, 4WDs & light commercial vehicles. Pro Gear 70W-75 is ideal in manual gearboxes and transfer cases that require automatic transmission fluids, or in vehicles that are suffering from shift quality problems with higher viscosity fluids.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts