Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
After reading all the posts with no success at replacing parts, I am leaning toward a problem with the way the regen and braking system are interacting with each other. When placed in neutral the noise goes away every time, clearly points to regen side.

·
Registered
104 Posts
OK I just posted this on my own thread - same problem 2008 Highlander hybrid clicking sound, glad to know it’s not the axles otherwise that would be expensive but does anyone figure this out some two years later!
Someone said that it went away with the axles being replaced, did they use proper OEM or equivalent axles from say Raxals or did the mechanic throw in some used axles that just went out after 10,000 miles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK I just posted this on my own thread - same problem 2008 Highlander hybrid clicking sound, glad to know it’s not the axles otherwise that would be expensive but does anyone figure this out some two years later!
Someone said that it went away with the axles being replaced, did they use proper OEM or equivalent axles from say Raxals or did the mechanic throw in some used axles that just went out after 10,000 miles?
For me it was both of my front wheel bearings. :) Drove me crazy the last three years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After reading all the posts with no success at replacing parts, I am leaning toward a problem with the way the regen and braking system are interacting with each other. When placed in neutral the noise goes away every time, clearly points to regen side.
Mine did the exact same thing. When I put it in neutral it wouldn't click. Turned out to be my front wheel bearings. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just updated it. I solved the clicking by replacing both front wheel bearings with Koyo bearings.
Sounds good! How hard was it to change and what was the cost?

I have kind of given up on my noises. Convinced it was something I didn't tighten properly when I did the pads and rotors but I'm sure I checked them twice when I had the wheels off. Seems to be less noisy when cold.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have kind of given up on my noises. Convinced it was something I didn't tighten properly when I did the pads and rotors but I'm sure I checked them twice when I had the wheels off. Seems to be less noisy when cold.
It was pretty easy to remove the entire knuckle that houses the wheel bearing. I purchased a new set of Koyo bearings for both sides for just around $90 on Ebay. Then I had a local shop press out the old bearing/hub and press in the new one for $100. It took only about 40 minutes or less to remove each knuckle. Left the knuckles at a local shop... he called me when it was done. I picked them up and then put everything back on. Toyota wanted anywhere from $800-$1000 to do the job and I got it done for just a little over $200. I didn't expect for the clicking to go away honestly. I didn't even notice until a good week + after I fixed it. Both bearings for $85. You can reuse your original toyota hubs or buy new ones onlin for around $20 each NSK FRONT WHEEL HUB BEARING FOR 2011-12-13-14-15-2016 LEXUS TOYOTA SIENNA PAIR | eBay

·
Registered
7 Posts

It was pretty easy to remove the entire knuckle that houses the wheel bearing. I purchased a new set of Koyo bearings for both sides for just around $90 on Ebay. Then I had a local shop press out the old bearing/hub and press in the new one for $100. It took only about 40 minutes or less to remove each knuckle. Left the knuckles at a local shop... he called me when it was done. I picked them up and then put everything back on. Toyota wanted anywhere from $800-$1000 to do the job and I got it done for just a little over $200. I didn't expect for the clicking to go away honestly. I didn't even notice until a good week + after I fixed it. Both bearings for $85. You can reuse your original toyota hubs or buy new ones onlin for around $20 each NSK FRONT WHEEL HUB BEARING FOR 2011-12-13-14-15-2016 LEXUS TOYOTA SIENNA PAIR | eBay

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks I had another look when I put my snow tires on. Didn't see anything really just that the rotor seemed loose vs the other side. I was thinking that if the brake pistons didn't push the pads all the way onto the rotor then they may move and cause a clunk but then I thought that when one tightens the wheel it cranks down there rotor onto the hub so it can't really move I guess? I did move the pistons in and out with a compression tool as my theory then was that perhaps they were binding. Not sure if I have head the noise again as not been driving much in the past few days. I still have a slight wobble at speed that has never been found since I got the car (2 years) so wheel bearings would make sense too although of course they don't make a noise ever and I've tested multiple tire wheel combos etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rotors are naturally a little loose. Normally they're a bit seized on there. Once you get the tire on and the nuts back on then all that stuff gets tightened up. So that wouldn't cause any problems. So I'm sure it's not the rotors or the brakes. The wobble could be because of uneven wear of the tires? One possibility. I've had that happen before. Or they are not balanced correctly... or they were and one of the balance weights has come off. Could be wheel bearings. Mine didn't make noise for almost three years until just recently. Like a month ago they started making noise.. it got worse so I fixed them and when I did that the clicking went away. I hope this fix works for your car too.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts