Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All

I want to ask all of toyota hybrid user?

I'm interesting the two new hybrid vehicle the toyota prius & Lexus HS 250, I have question which one is worth it more base on the maintain and fuel miles cost?

Thanks

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
Prius. (Or Toyota in general). This is because Lexus vehicles tend to have higher maintenance and insurance costs. You pay for the level of service received at a Lexus dealership. In addition, the Prius uses a 1.8 litre while the HS250h uses the Camry Hybrid's setup. The Prius will be more fuel efficient than the HS250h.

However, if you want the cache of a Lexus and prefer the look of a sedan, then the HS is the way to go. The Prius can be equipped with a lot of high tech features which make the HS moot in that perspective.

·
Registered
2013 Scion tC M/T
246 Posts
Prius. (Or Toyota in general). This is because Lexus vehicles tend to have higher maintenance and insurance costs. You pay for the level of service received at a Lexus dealership. In addition, the Prius uses a 1.8 litre while the HS250h uses the Camry Hybrid's setup. The Prius will be more fuel efficient than the HS250h.

However, if you want the cache of a Lexus and prefer the look of a sedan, then the HS is the way to go. The Prius can be equipped with a lot of high tech features which make the HS moot in that perspective.
Yeh, the HS won't be more fuel efficient than the Prius. I mean common! Its Lexus: 50 plus mpg? it would already be an icon if so. Toyota will and should always be in my opinion the more fuel efficient division. But what about Daihatsu? Toyota owns that doesn't it? Somebody should check on the fuel efficiency on their models... TMC should consider that brand for the U.S.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

From what I have read, the HSD in the 2010 Prius is much improved over the version in the 2009 Prius. If I am correct in assuming that the drivetrain in the HS 250h is taken from the Camry Hybrid, then the improved, next-generation HSD in addition to the smaller, 1.8-litre engine in the Prius will mean better fuel economy for the Prius.

If, however, you prefer a more traditional, conservative layout over the high-tech, all-digital layout of the Prius, the HS is the choice. Personally, I would like a hatchback vehicle, but I do not like digital instrumentation. Unfortunately, Toyota does not offer a hatchback hybrid with traditional instrumentation, unless I go for the Highlander Hybrid or the Lexus RX 400h/450h. If my wife wins the lottery... ;)

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
From what I have read, the HSD in the 2010 Prius is much improved over the version in the 2009 Prius. If I am correct in assuming that the drivetrain in the HS 250h is taken from the Camry Hybrid, then the improved, next-generation HSD in addition to the smaller, 1.8-litre engine in the Prius will mean better fuel economy for the Prius.

If, however, you prefer a more traditional, conservative layout over the high-tech, all-digital layout of the Prius, the HS is the choice. Personally, I would like a hatchback vehicle, but I do not like digital instrumentation. Unfortunately, Toyota does not offer a hatchback hybrid with traditional instrumentation, unless I go for the Highlander Hybrid or the Lexus RX 400h/450h. If my wife wins the lottery... ;)
It should be using the updated system but swapping the 2ZR with the 2AZ. The battery system is more compact thanks to a redesigned venting system. Given that size of the HS, it should help with trunk space.

For the Prius, yes. Two new features (that also debuted in the RX450h) are the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Exhaust Heat Recirculation. The transaxle is 20% smaller and now has a reduction gear. The motors have shrunk and MG2 has actually reduced torque (from 295lb-ft down to 150 something). The reason is that the increased torque from the engine (67 to 105) and the reduction gear should be able to take up the slack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts