Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone please tell me whether the 2011 3rd row 50/50 split seat could be swapped into a 2010? Would rather do this than get a roof top cargo box when traveling with the three kids. Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will let you know after this weekend.....
I have a 2010 HL and after nearly 9 months of searching, found a 2012 split third row seat. After I had it shipped to me, I took out the 2010 3rd row and put the 2012 third row in. As Sweeneyp posted, the seat frame bracket is different on the 2011-2013 split third row.
I tried ordering the seat frame bracket but it was on back order for the last 2 months. Mine finally got delivered this week. I plan on taking everything out again this week end and putting in the 2011-2013 seat frame bracket and seat. All of the mounting points for the 2011-2013 seat frame bracket appear to be the same as the 2010.

I will let you know how it goes and if I run into any problems.

If it doesn't work, I'm out about $800 for parts and then will have to trade the HL in for something that has split 3rd row seats.

·
4,179 Posts
Could anyone please tell me whether the 2011 3rd row 50/50 split seat could be swapped into a 2010? Would rather do this than get a roof top cargo box when traveling with the three kids. Thanks, Scott
You can find used roof top cargo boxes on CL for cheap. How much space do you envision gaining from a split 3rd row seat? I'd hate to be the one crammed back there with zero leg room and luggage stuffed next to me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will let you know after this weekend.....
I have a 2010 HL and after nearly 9 months of searching, found a 2012 split third row seat. After I had it shipped to me, I took out the 2010 3rd row and put the 2012 third row in. As Sweeneyp posted, the seat frame bracket is different on the 2011-2013 split third row.
I tried ordering the seat frame bracket but it was on back order for the last 2 months. Mine finally got delivered this week. I plan on taking everything out again this week end and putting in the 2011-2013 seat frame bracket and seat. All of the mounting points for the 2011-2013 seat frame bracket appear to be the same as the 2010.

I will let you know how it goes and if I run into any problems.

If it doesn't work, I'm out about $800 for parts and then will have to trade the HL in for something that has split 3rd row seats.

I'm definitely gonna follow this thread... this is the only petpeeve I have left on my 2008 hihy.
Hopefully for u and I and everyone else that's wanting the split conversion. This will work. This will work. This will work.

·
4,179 Posts
I'm definitely gonna follow this thread... this is the only petpeeve I have left on my 2008 hihy.
Hopefully for u and I and everyone else that's wanting the split conversion. This will work. This will work. This will work.
The only conversion I would do is the 2nd row bench from the 2014 HL into my 2009 HL. Oh Sweeny!!!

·
4,179 Posts
what so great about the 2014 bench? at least with ours, we can convert.
Three people could comfortably sit in the 2nd row. Our 1/2 seat was in afterthought, an attempt to market the car as a 7 passenger vs. the 4 passenger vehicle it truly is.

·
Resident Nutcase
12,146 Posts
:lol: I shoved people into that half seat for a 10hr drive (each way) then another 12hr drive (each way) 2 weeks later (5 people in the car). You better believe they were playing chinese fire drill to see who got stuck in that seat every 2 hours when I stopped for gas. Though there was a benefit I guess, one riding in the back could watch the dvd player, but Frozen was playing so I don't think that's a good thing :lol:

·
4,179 Posts
:lol: I shoved people into that half seat for a 10hr drive (each way) then another 12hr drive (each way) 2 weeks later (5 people in the car). You better believe they were playing chinese fire drill to see who got stuck in that seat every 2 hours when I stopped for gas. Though there was a benefit I guess, one riding in the back could watch the dvd player, but Frozen was playing so I don't think that's a good thing :lol:
Sounds like torture, thankfully I was able to convert my Sequoia from a 7 to an 8. I wonder if there is any possibility of doing the same with the HL?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran into a little snag this afternoon. I have a 2012 split 3rd row and the 2011-2013 seat bracket mount. However, the cross-member that is at the back of the 3rd row where the seat belts anchor to is also different as well. The bracket where the seat belts attach is smaller on the 2011-2013 to allow the seats to fold individually.

I made a trip to the local Toyota dealer and the new part will arrive on Tuesday. I left everything apart on the Highlander for now so I can just bolt the new cross member in and then bolt in the seat and the seat belts and then re-assemble everything.

Just to be clear, I have a 2010 Highlander that already had a 3rd row seat. I did not have to remove any side trim panels or anything.

So far, these are the parts I had to find to do the conversion to a split 3rd row.

Split 3rd row from a 2011-2013 Highlander
If the split 3rd row does not come with the seat frame bracket, you will need one of those. 2011-2013 Highlander Part # 79030-OE010.
3rd row crossmember 2011-2013 Highlander Part # 59305-OE030.

I will let you know if everything comes together after the new crossmember arrives on Tuesday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Success!!!

I installed the 3rd row cross member this evening and it uses the same mounting points as the 2010 cross member. I did run into one tiny problem though. The seat has 6 mounting points. 2 on each side and 2 in the middle that attach to the cross member. The bolts on the outside use the same bolts that came with the car. The 2 middle bolts that bolt to the new cross member do not work. I need to make another trip to the dealership and get 2 new bolts.

However, everything else fit back together perfectly.

Please see post #12 for the list of parts that I used to make the split 3rd row work.

You can in fact put a split 3rd row from a 2011-2013 in a pre-2011 Highlander.

If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer them!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Success!!!

I installed the 3rd row cross member this evening and it uses the same mounting points as the 2010 cross member. I did run into one tiny problem though. The seat has 6 mounting points. 2 on each side and 2 in the middle that attach to the cross member. The bolts on the outside use the same bolts that came with the car. The 2 middle bolts that bolt to the new cross member do not work. I need to make another trip to the dealership and get 2 new bolts.

However, everything else fit back together perfectly.

Please see post #12 for the list of parts that I used to make the split 3rd row work.

You can in fact put a split 3rd row from a 2011-2013 in a pre-2011 Highlander.

If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer them!!
what's the part # for the bolts.
I have the hybrid version. do I need a different crossmember?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Success

Nick1sp,

I haven't made it to the toyota dealership yet to get the bolts. When I do, I will be sure and post the part numbers for those as well.

if you send me your e-mail through private message, I can send you pics of what the cross member from my 2010 looks like compared to the new 2011-2013 cross member. You should be able to take a look at your and determine pretty easily if they one have will work or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi!
What did you do with an original 2010 3rd row seat that you removed? If it is available, I'd like to buy it please.
Thank you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi!
What did you do with an original 2010 3rd row seat that you removed? If it is available, I'd like to buy it please.
Thank you!
I haven't decided what to do with the old seat just yet. My concern is when I go to sell the vehicle, do I need to be concerned that the 3rd row seat is not original. What if the buyer gets into a wreck and somebody is injured because of the 3rd row seat I installed? Can they turn around and sue me? Would I need to draw up some sort of legal document that they acknowledge I installed a different seat and they can't sue me?

Those are the things I am struggling with at the moment, so I am still thinking about whether or not I need to keep my original seat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sweeneyp

Do you mind if you send them my way (pics). I'll PM you my email, that way I can upload (or you can if you know how) to the thread to help people in the future.
I have a quite a few pictures that I took that I would be more than happy to e-mail or get them to you. Just PM me your address or let me know how to get the pics to you.

I also scanned the step by step instructions on what needs to be removed to get to the 3rd row. I think that will help some members as well.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
17 Participants
toy&lex
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing