Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Avalon tranny slips a bit sometimes when going slow around corners and then accelerating. Also, it seems to downshift itself when going down an incline at 45 or 50 mph. When entering traffic on a freeway ramp and getting into passing gear, it seems to slip quite a bit before catching and taking off. Is all this normal? 55,000 on the car so soon to go out of warranty. BTW, can the dealer check this out with diagnostic equipment as I would bet they couldn't recreate the problem test driving....never fails!Thanks in advance for any help on this. :dunno:

·
Registered
442 Posts
You should not drive the car with trans problems, You should get to the Toyota dealer ASAP and get them to check the trans. They should go for a test drive and then see if the fluid level is OK and then drop the pan and do a fluid change to see if that can help solve or fix the trouble. Why would you drive a car that is on warranty and not get to a dealer and have it checked out??

·
Registered
442 Posts
It will be "normal" until the warranty is up.. then it will turn into a 3000$ repair. You need to get your complaint documented in Toyota complaint paper work. And I would also call Toyota direct to be sure they know. Have the Toyota dealer let you take out a similar car for a test drive ( pretend you want to buy it, if necessary) so you can see if it is "normal" . My 98 Avalon has 170,000 on it and it shifts like it should.

Don't buy into the life time ATF cr-p, the AFT should be changed out at the mileage you have and the filter and pan checked, It would be good to get a picture of the particles in the pan so you know what was in it, so you can document any future complaints.

·
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
09 Avalon XL
820 Posts
You don't want to pay for an overhaul. This has an overdrive and an underdrive. Typical estimates are in the neighborhood of $2500 to $3000US

Wow!

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,611 Posts
You might also consider finding another Toyota dealer with a different attitude.

You do not have to take a Toyota to the dealer you purchased from. You can take your Toyota to any Toyota dealer in the U. S. for warranty work.

The people you have dealt with see your warranty expiring soon and are just waiting for it to end so they can hammer you with a big bill. Once it's expired you'll find they no longer see this as "normal".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.