Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

After months of trying to track down a mysterious noise on the accessory-side of my Camry, I have come to find that the harmonic balancer (HB) (crankshaft pulley) seems to be failing. I have about 100K highway miles on it. I see a bit of wobble in it and can hear with a auto stethoscope that the noise is originating directly from that pulley. I have a new one on order (if anyone is wondering, parts: 13470-0V010 and 95161-30516 (woodruf key), but while I am waiting for them to arrive I had a few questions for the community, so I know what I am about to get into.

1) I will be purchasing a pulley removal tool from Harbor Freight, to properly remove the current HB. My first concern was if the kit which HF sells comes with the right bolt size. Would any of you know the metric bolt size and length needed for the 2 bolt holes on the HB?

2) Is the bolt holding the HB on is reverse or normal thread? I suspect I am going to have to use an impact gun to avoid that scary (bump) method with a socket, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't driving the bolt on further instead of removing it.

3) The bolt torque for the HB once I put the new one on? I read 80ft/lb is roughly what it takes, but I am also seeing 159ft/lb on some sites.

4) I may as well replace the belts while I have everything off. Do you guys have a recommended belt brand - I was going to go with Continental for both the serpentine and power steering. Any idea what the correct belt size is for the power steering though - those seem to be really hard to find!

Thanks, all! This place is always extremely helpful to seemingly simple questions like these for the mechanics who are out there!

-Tony

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just found my answers to #4! Now just the other 3 and I think I should be set!

Belts for Reference:
9091602671 - CONTINENTAL 4040488 (SERPENTINE)
90916-A2022 (VANE PUMP)

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
16 Posts
I just found my answers to #4! Now just the other 3 and I think I should be set!

Belts for Reference:
9091602671 - CONTINENTAL 4040488 (SERPENTINE)
90916-A2022 (VANE PUMP)
Did this solve your problem? I am battling the exact same situation!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would definitely recommend the continental belts - that's exactly what I ended up using. As far as that noise, here is what I PMed another member who asked:

I ended up dropping the pan and the pickup was still well-fastened, as well as there were no parts or shavings in the bottom of the pan. Where I went wrong is I dropped the balancer right above the pan, which I learned cant be realigned without popping the side of the crank off (you are supposed to score the alignment before you drop it). With the balancer timing off the engine will vibrate like a mo-fo when you start it up after you get it back together, so don't be me and make that mistake.

The fix was the dealer sold me a $5k block (installed) which ended up fortunately/unfortunately ended up resolving the issue - unfortunate because I never knew the real cause of that noise. The justification was they said labor would be intensive to pull the block as-is to get the balancer timing right again, but also then they don't even know what the original issue was causing the noise we all are finding. In-all, I have had 0 issues for a good 4 years now and my block technically has 50k less than my odo reads, so I guess it worked out.

I did read some posts before I did that the guides on the valve chain can cause this, but someone here said they ruled that out already and the noise was still there, so YMMV!

Hope someone finds the cause here, assuming its all coming from the same thing. I know that noise drove me nuts when it was around!

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
16 Posts
I would definitely recommend the continental belts - that's exactly what I ended up using. As far as that noise, here is what I PMed another member who asked:

I ended up dropping the pan and the pickup was still well-fastened, as well as there were no parts or shavings in the bottom of the pan. Where I went wrong is I dropped the balancer right above the pan, which I learned cant be realigned without popping the side of the crank off (you are supposed to score the alignment before you drop it). With the balancer timing off the engine will vibrate like a mo-fo when you start it up after you get it back together, so don't be me and make that mistake.

The fix was the dealer sold me a $5k block (installed) which ended up fortunately/unfortunately ended up resolving the issue - unfortunate because I never knew the real cause of that noise. The justification was they said labor would be intensive to pull the block as-is to get the balancer timing right again, but also then they don't even know what the original issue was causing the noise we all are finding. In-all, I have had 0 issues for a good 4 years now and my block technically has 50k less than my odo reads, so I guess it worked out.

I did read some posts before I did that the guides on the valve chain can cause this, but someone here said they ruled that out already and the noise was still there, so YMMV!

Hope someone finds the cause here, assuming its all coming from the same thing. I know that noise drove me nuts when it was around!
Thank you for the reply and being willing to revisit all this....

So did you end up replacing the Harmonic Balancer Pully?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update us if you figure this out. Can the harmonic balancer make a knocking rattle noise? Someone here said it could be the crank shaft, maybe it started as harmonic balancer and caused the damage to the crankshaft, mine sound like a baring rattle then turn into a knock when ac is on or in gear and I don’t hear it when rpm goes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oops, forgot the answer the subject line! I did end up replacing the balancer before the motor. For what its worth the old balancer had no cracks in the rubber bushing, so I doubt it was that. I recall it was a pain to get off too, since the crank wants to rotate on you to get that (21mm?) bolt out of it. My suggestion would be to see if you can get at it with an inspection mirror to confirm there are no cracks in it before jumping to replacing it.

Hope you guys find it! Still nervous it could come back with the replacement motor!

·
Registered
21 Posts
To be honest man, taking off the balancer without scoring it make no sense, now starting the engine without it is a problem because it’s job to keep the engine from shaking. I could see it throwing off the timing if the engine started without it but still I don’t see how that could happen when all the timing components are on the inside of the timing cover!! Anyone can explain that to us? Can removing and starting the engine without a balancer mess up the timing? The balancer it self has no timing marks. There is a sprocket behind it under the timing cover . Could the timing get screwed because of the shaking of the engine if it started without the balancer??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can probably run the motor for a short interval with it off, however consider there wont be any accessory load on it or water pump running, so you dont have a ton of time. I know with mine, I had to wait for it to fully come down to idle to hear it, which could take a few mins. You may be able to simulate that with it in drive though too. I suppose you could remove it hot in either case though, since its in a fairly accessible location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts