Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2011 Camry a couple of months ago with the EX Radio ($420) Bluetooth, MP3, Satellite, and more. After I got it I realized you can't see the radio station setting display in the sunlight. I took it in and found out there is no way to adjust the brightness unless it's at night with the lights on. Turning the little odometer knob adjust other things but this radio is an LCD display of whilte letters and numbers on a gray background. When the headlights are on the adjustment just makes the backlight brighter, not the lettering.
Has anyone else noticed this problem with this radio?

PS: Please don't say turn the odometer knob, that doesn't work as I said above.:)

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
i have the same issue with my jbl system in my 2011 se, but it doesnt bother me at all, since i dont look at it often.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dealers don't care

What really bothers me is that the two Toyota dealers I took it to won't even exculate it to Toyota, they don't really care. They don't even open a trouble ticket at the service department so there's no record of you coming in.

First they act like they don't know what I'm talking about then they say "well they all do that, I can show you a new one here on the lot and it does the same thing". Problem solved!!!!!:headbang:

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Take the hint...live with or it or replace the vehicle.

·
ConeKiller Camry
2010 Camry LE
1,043 Posts
If anything is not being fixed by my dealers, Toyota Corp is in Torrance, which isn't far from where I live :)

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do...I work at a Toyota dealer and the only fix is to stick a different radio in it.......I personally don't look at the screen that often so it doesn't bother me. And be careful when wiping the dust off....it scratches EXTREMELY easily, get a soft lens cloth or you won't be able to see the screen at night either.:headbang:

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Camry LE
129 Posts
Damn, seriously no one has figured out something for this. Crap. I can't see my HU in the sunlight and its aftermarket.

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
why is it such a big deal? is the thing i dont understand, are you always looking at it? If you dont like it, take the stock unit out and replace it with something aftermarket.

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Camry LE
129 Posts
why is it such a big deal? is the thing i dont understand, are you always looking at it? If you dont like it, take the stock unit out and replace it with something aftermarket.
This 2 year old thread was bumped because of my post which you did not read. I installed a double din with touchscreen and I can't see crap. Its so bad I may have to just give up on DD and go with a single which makes calling people while driving more difficult. Oh, that should answer your question, I like to use my screen to see my contacts as I call them or to see who is calling my when my phone rings. Phone stays in my pocket while I drive.

·
Registered
08 Camry LE
1,039 Posts
I remember there's a film applied on the screen that can help reduce the sun glare. Although it may not be 100% fit to your screen, you can always cut it to fit. Some companies like Zagg or 3M have it (Google anti glare screen protector), but the film can reduce the clarity of the screen a bit.

I haven't tried it on mine. I have this problem too; it's so important that when I want to look at the screen to follow the navi, everything I see is big white light.

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Camry LE
129 Posts
I remember there's a film applied on the screen that can help reduce the sun glare. Although it may not be 100% fit to your screen, you can always cut it to fit. Some companies like Zagg or 3M have it (Google anti glare screen protector), but the film can reduce the clarity of the screen a bit.

I haven't tried it on mine. I have this problem too; it's so important that when I want to look at the screen to follow the navi, everything I see is big white light.
Yeah, while driving home today I did think about putting some type of screen protector over it. Clarity could be affected, but I was also thinking about the touch screen sensitivity. That would also give me a headache if it went south.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It doesn't bother me a bit.

I stream via bluetooth from Spotify and toggle my music with the steering wheel controls. Older G35s suffer from the same interface issue. But the same way those VQ owners feel about the trade off of seeing the HU vs the engineering of everything else, I feel the same about the 2GR-FE.

On another note, my polarized sunglasses don't allow me to view the odometer from certain angles.

Its not the end of the world, just a trade off for everything else :)

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
The problem I "see" is that the instrument light intensity adjustment doesn't affect the radio...nor clock display I should add.

·
Registered
08 Camry LE
266 Posts
how about tinting your front windshield?

·
Registered
08 Camry LE
266 Posts
LOL, actually thought about that but its super illegal pretty much everywhere.
ACTUALLY, both Llumar and 3M make a windshield specific film that is approved in the US. ;-)

I live in Texas and want to get it for my car.

·
Registered
08 Camry LE
266 Posts
So it must be just a UV blocker because tint is illegal without a medical excuse.
Oh, it's definitely not "tinted" in the true sense of the word. I believe on the site it stated it reduced glare. Guess there would be only one way to find out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts