Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is going on with my Radio? For some time now when I would get into my 2011 Camry XLE the display on the radio would almost look like there was a corruption in the display but in a short while the display would settle down and the radio would be okay. This only happens when it is probably above 85°. Yesterday I came out of church the temp in the car with the windows cracked open a little was 88° and for a split second I saw that corruption and then NO radio at all. A few hours later with the car parked in the shade the radio came on and was fine. So what's going on with my radio?

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
What is going on with my Radio? For some time now when I would get into my 2011 Camry XLE the display on the radio would almost look like there was a corruption in the display but in a short while the display would settle down and the radio would be okay. This only happens when it is probably above 85°. Yesterday I came out of church the temp in the car with the windows cracked open a little was 88° and for a split second I saw that corruption and then NO radio at all. A few hours later with the car parked in the shade the radio came on and was fine. So what's going on with my radio?
Heat can make marginal electrical connections and components go in and out. Currently my niece is parking her 2006 Prius in the shade because the HVAC blower motor will not work if she parks it in the sun....likely needs replaced. You can give it a whack and see if that lights it up (a tried and true method). After that, check the fuse (remove & reinstall - likely ok) and verify that the radio electrical harness is firmly connected (disconnect, visually inspect and reconnect - might need to remove the radio to do that). If problem persists, I would have a multimeter back probed into the harness until the unit exhibits the problem to verify voltage supply is good. If good, suggest looking at a new head unit at Crutchfield.com....replaced one on my 2000 T4R and pretty straightforward. They provide directions, technical support by phone, plastic trim pieces and electrical harness adapters specific to your install.

Buckaroo

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I also noticed that the controls below the head set that are illuminated at night would blink on and off and then at times would also blink in a strobe like manner. This did stop and settle down after a few minutes. I'm also surprised that no one else has replied to this thread which leaves me worried that this is an isolated problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I also noticed that the controls below the head set that are illuminated at night would blink on and off and then at times would also blink in a strobe like manner. This did stop and settle down after a few minutes. I'm also surprised that no one else has replied to this thread which leaves me worried that this is an isolated problem.
By "below the head set", do you mean the radio station pre-select buttons on the head unit or the HVAC controls?

Buckaroo

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By "below the head set", do you mean the radio station pre-select buttons on the head unit or the HVAC controls?

Buckaroo
The HVAC controls.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What's the history of the car? Was it in a signficant accident or was it a flood salvage vehicle?

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought it used 5 years ago and the CarFax was clean. I was told that it was a lease. Since I've owned it I've only put 20k on it bringing the total millage to 58k now. I haven't had any accidents and have kept it in the driveway when inclement weather happens using another vehicle. I have no explanation or reasoning why this could be happening.

Reactions: Buckaroo5

·
Registered
162 Posts
So if we have electrical gremlins affecting both the radio and hvac, it may be a power supply problem upstream. I would look at a wiring diagram and see what there is common to both systems. I don't have time right now one but will look for a wiring diagram in the next day and see if I can offer any suggestions.

Buckaroo

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Buckaroo, I will appreciate that!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just to confirm, your audio system is factory, right? Trying to find the correct wiring diagram.....does it have 6 or 8 speakers? Do you have a factory Nav system?

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No NAV system and the unit is factory. I don't know how many speakers but it is an XLE with a JBL speaker system.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I think it's the 8 speaker option

·
Registered
162 Posts
Right off the bat, I cannot see that the AC Control Assembly and the Radio Receiver Assembly or Stereo Componenet Amplifer share power supply wiring nor grounds. So I'm coming up empty so far. Do you know what lights were blinking on the AC unit?

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My mistake, I had to wait till it got dark. It's the blueish light on both side of the head unit and the thin strip where the HVAC controls are. That's what was blinking. Today it is cool here so I didn't have the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've had mine where the radio doesn't seem to work and pushed on the radio by the volume area and it came on. Must be some loose connection and it does not happen all the time and never while driving. Only happened about 3 times at start up.

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Rusty360 but I think my problem is a heat related issue.

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I now seem to have another issue with this head unit. I got in and started my car and the radio came on but the display was completely dark. When I attempted to push in the power knob nothing happened. I tried a couple of times and after a few minutes the display lit by itself but I still was not able to control the radio with the on/off knob, but I could control the radio with the controls on the steering wheel. I should mention the outside temp was in the mid 70's.

Somebody please tell me how this can be fixed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son's 2011 Camry LE 4 cylinder exhibits the exact same behavior. Sometimes at night the HVAC control buttons' backlighting blinks or goes off completely. I tried adjusting the dash dimmer shaft in the lower right speedometer area thinking that the dash dimmer potentiometer may be going out. It seems like this had a positive result a few times but not 100% sure yet that the dimmer potentiometer is the root cause. Today my son called and said that the stereo was "out" with no LED display. The car had been sitting in the 85 deg sun all day so heat may be an issue here. My son smacked the dash to the right of the stereo and the stereo sprung back to life. I have not analyzed the wiring diagram yet (I use Mitchell's DIY - great tech resource BTW) to see if these 2 intermittent issues are related or are mutually exclusive. My gut says that they are mutually exclusive - but no proof yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts