Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm trying to find the AC clutch relay in my 2011 Corolla. AC is working fine, but being nine years old, the ac will need to be charged eventually. Looked in the fuse box under the hood. It's not marked. I pulled each relay in the engine bay fuse box one by one while the car was started and the ac was running. The ac still continued to run blowing cold air and the light for the ac compressor didn't go out on the console switch. Where is it located? Thank you for your help. Attached are pictures of fusebox and cover.
20200607_094043.jpg
20200607_094043.jpg
20200607_094146.jpg

·
Registered
586 Posts
The only reason you'll need to find that relay is if it goes bad, it doesn't need to be unplugged to charge or service the system. Does your car have a clutch? or is it one of the newer clutchless compressors?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I believe it is one of the newer clutchless compressors. When I watch the compressor run and have someone turn on the ac, I don't see a clutch engaging. If the ac were to need a charge, (assuming any leaks are found, system evacuated, leak fixed ect.) How would I get the compressor to engage, when the system is low? Would I have to jump the low pressure switch in the line somehow to get the compressor to come on so that I can recharge the system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello. Yes you are right. I also took a look under the dash. I never knew there was a smaller panel with three relays and some fuses right under the steering wheel to the left of it. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You don't need to do anything special to charge the system, just fill it. If the compressor isn't running due to low pressure it will start up once it detects pressure.

·
イリジウム
12,302 Posts
See also:

Harbor Freight has manifold gauge set for $40 on coupon sale. That’s a version Eric used in the video.

search up on safety procedures. If you’re not mechanically inclined go to a pro. Refrigerant can flash freeze flesh and eyeballs in a blink,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your help. Have had to do this job on several older non Toyota cars, 1997 - 2005. Haven't had to do it on any of my "newer" Toyotas. I appreciate all your help. When I finally have to the job, I'll post an update on how it went.
Thanks again, stay well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts