Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 2011 highlander is in reverse the screen displays “check your surroundings ...” but it doesn’t have no parking assistance lines (green/red/yellow )
I tried to upgrade the radio/navigation system with an aftermarket one but there is none available because my highlander has a JBL sound system.
Would upgrading the firmware/software enable the reverse parking lines ?
Or do I need to replace the OEM rear camera?

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
342 Posts
First of all you can upgrade your radio. It's not as easy as non jbl cars, but can be done. Secondly I have seen backup cameras that have the lines designed into them. You would most likely need to splice into your existing video line, but that isn't hard to do.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
671 Posts
Bare in mind while replacing the radio is relatively straight forward on Highlanders with the Diversity Antenna System you will lose parts of your radio reception ability. Usually AM radio. If AM is something you never use that's up to you. As for the stripes yeah I get it I would like them too. But I don't know how you would get them

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with what Soul says. There's some good threads here on TN that discuss upgrading head units. I would only add that Kenwood is about the only aftermarket HU upgrade that allows you to modify the parking lines. I'm not entirely sure whether you need one of their cameras that places the lines and their HU modifies them or if the HU can add the lines to an OEM camera. Not sure how good the OEM 2011 cameras are, the one on my 2009 is kind of grainy even in bright daylight and is really bad at night so I'll likely upgrade it anyway (as well as adding some additional back up lighting to help regardless of what camera's there).

Please note that I am not shilling for Kenwood, but because of the adjustable parking line feature that no other manufacturer offers (I am surprised Pioneer doesn't) I am leaning toward a Kenwood unit to upgrade my HU.

As far as the HU upgrade, you need a new faceplate for the dash to fill in the spaces that will be "vacant" when you replace the OEM HU with an aftermarket HU. The choices are either to get a generic blank one, which requires you to buy a non-Navigation hazard button because the one with the Navigation HU will not fit or you can get a 2013 OEM HL faceplate which comes with the Hazard button and passenger seat airbag indicator. They come up on Ebay from time to time. What you need to look out for is to make sure it comes with the wire connecting the hazard button and pasenger seat airbag indicator to the wire harness. If you go that route, be sure to ask for a photo of the actual faceplate from the seller showing the backside. I got real lucky when I purchased a 2013 FP off of the 'Bay because the photos the seller posted to Ebay showed the FP without the wiring, I emailed the seller and asked if the wire was there and was told no, so I was googling "Standard Toyota Electrical connectors" until I was blue in the face to makeup my own adapter but when the FP came, the wire was there attached to the FP. Even with the 2013 FP, my understanding is that there may be some open space around the new HU that will need a homemade spacer to fill in, but even with that, the thread showing the use of the 2013 FP with an aftermarket HU and homemade spacers it still looked like it came from the factory like that. There's also a recent thread where someone installed a new Android HU, from what I gather there are some that are designed to just replace the HU and are made to go right into the OEM space and there is another kind that also includes the temperature control panel which allows for a larger screen and requires that you remove not only the HU but also the OEM temperature controls and the new HU fits over all those OEM spaces. It looked nice, but the thread also brought up some of the downsides to the Android units.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
2011HL
1,310 Posts
Ummm Did your 2011 HL have those assistance lines before? Those lines were never available on the standard 2011 HL as far as I know. Many folk have tried or wondered about being able to add them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Soulsurvise:
If replacing the OEM camera can provide the lines that would be awesome.
I don’t mind the splicing piece.
Any aftermarket camera recommendation ?

·
Registered
2011HL
1,310 Posts
@Soulsurvise:
If.. the only reason you want to replace the "system" to get lines.. DON'T.. relying on those lines to guide you while backing up.. is a sure way to run into things.. Turn your head.. or trust the mirrors. :grin:

·
Registered
206 Posts
If.. the only reason you want to replace the "system" to get lines.. DON'T.. relying on those lines to guide you while backing up.. is a sure way to run into things.. Turn your head.. or trust the mirrors. :grin:
I partially disagree. Knowing how far to back up and still get the rear liftgate to open without hitting anything, at the very least, would be a big help. I usually pull into the space deeper, if I pull through from one space to another, or when backing up and there's a tree in the parking island. Also, having lines on the side to know you are too close to something on the ground, like a toy or something that gets hidden in the blindspots.

But I do agree that the camera doesn't totally negate the use of looking back and the mirrors.

Paul

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
342 Posts
I partially disagree. Knowing how far to back up and still get the rear liftgate to open without hitting anything, at the very least, would be a big help. I usually pull into the space deeper, if I pull through from one space to another, or when backing up and there's a tree in the parking island. Also, having lines on the side to know you are too close to something on the ground, like a toy or something that gets hidden in the blindspots.

But I do agree that the camera doesn't totally negate the use of looking back and the mirrors.

Paul
I agree as well. I have always used the lines for precision parking adjustments. It's nice to know just how close you can get LOL.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
342 Posts
@Soulsurvise:
You would have to do some Googling since I don't know. You might want to look to see if newer Toyotas have lines in the camera. I installed an aftermarket radio in my 16 Rav4 and ended up with 2 sets of parking lines. I was able to turn the lines off in the new radio tho. Makes me think the parking lines are built into the Rav4's camera.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First I would like to thank you all for the great feedback.
It seems that aftermarket HUs are not compatible with JBL sound system and there is the small hazard button issue.
So I am still open to any other suggestions to upgrade the HU as I am unable to find a good one in Amazon.

·
Registered
206 Posts
First I would like to thank you all for the great feedback.
It seems that aftermarket HUs are not compatible with JBL sound system and there is the small hazard button issue.
So I am still open to any other suggestions to upgrade the HU as I am unable to find a good one in Amazon.

Yeah, its not just a HU alone, if you want to maintain full functionality. I have not actually upgraded my HU, its on the to do list, but in doing my research I came across the iDatalink Maestro which is supposed to maintain all the OEM functionality with the aftermarket HU, including being able to use the stock JBL system. Others here have confirmed that. (Note: I didn't mention the iDL earlier because I have mentioned it in a few threads, and I want to make it clear, I'm not a shill, just someone trying to maintain as much stock as possible with a new HU. If anyone knows if there is another equivalent product, I'm open to seriously considering that as well, I take it that it is a small niche market so that's why there's really only one company.) The only issue that has not been figured out is the diversity antennae.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
342 Posts
As far as the diversity antenna goes. Could you just run a separate antenna from the new head unit? You could run a new antenna cable to the rear and use a small mast or shark fin antenna.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@paul: I agree with you, idatalink Maestro Rr is the best in the market and jfyi there is another brand out here called Axxess but Maestro seems to retain most of the factory system features. While Axxess is mainly a steering wheel buttons interface, Maestro does the steering wheel controls, connects to the vehicles ODB2, shows TPMS sensors , extra gauge options and .... so on.

So I contacted an Amazon vendor who kindly called me back and provided the following solution:
1) Pioneer Avic-W8500 NES
2) Maestro ADS-MRR
3)maestro HRN-rr-T01 plug and play T-harness for Toyota
4) PAC USB-TY2 Toyota USB Port retention cable
5) Ai TOYK989 2008-2009 Toyota Highlander dash Kit (mine is 2011 so I am not sure if this an oversight and if I even need it)

All this for $999; it is a little bit above my budget but the vendor who was a real gentleman spent almost an hour on the phone explaining all the details, taking my current configuration information and answering all my questions. And his price is almost $200 below market.

I like the Pioneer 8500 but is still missing some features such as WIFI 3G/4G that most of Chinese aftermarkets HUs have.

So what all you gentlemen think ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts