Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Turbo Review – First Drive
Hyundai achieves an industry first, packing the terms “turbocharged” and “value” in a mid-size sedan

The Hyundai Sonata has gone from complete obscurity to overnight sensation, but the trip from second-rate rental car lots to one of America’s Top 3 mid-size sedans was a long one. With every generation getting better engineered and more attractive, the 2010 Sonata seems to be Hyundai’s opus.

The launch of the current Sonata, in the midst of a recession, was a gamble for Hyundai in itself. No one was quite sure how customers in this typically conservative segment would react to its swoopy, Mercedes-like styling and only one engine option, an adequate but not exactly soul-stirring 2.4L 4-cylinder engine – even if it did deliver the most power in its class.

BEST-IN-CLASS POWER AND FUEL ECONOMY

For 2011, Hyundai is offering more power, but chose to stick to their guns by not offering a V6. Instead, the hottest Sonata is motivated by a 2.0-liter 274-horsepower four-cylinder engine, with a 6-speed automatic gearbox putting power to the front wheels. The horsepower figure is just ahead of 6-cylinder offerings from Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Ford and Chevrolet. Turbo four engines in cars like the Volkswagen Passat and Buick Regal offer significantly less power to boot, despite identical displacement. Hyundai’s quantitative edge extends to fuel economy, where the Sonata is capable of getting 22-mpg in the city and 33-mpg on the highway, figures that none of the other rivals can match.
Read More 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Turbo Review at AutoGuide.com

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,736 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
Need this in Genesis Coupe.
I hear that a lot when people read the review of this car. If they do have this in the Genesis Coupe it would be a good idea if they boosted power for the V6 cause the power of this is close IMO. especially being a base engine.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,736 Posts
^ Hmm, turbo-charge the V6 which will produce over 365 break hp? It's plausible.

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
is this engine a detuned version of the lancer evo?

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,736 Posts
I think it is since the Theta II engine is technically the 4B11 engine even though it doesn't share the same components. The Theta II 2.0L turbo in the Sonata runs at 17psi with a twin-scroll turbo.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I'm not a fan of their "organic" styling. (their description not mine) :eek:
Yes, the flowy-ness or organic or whatever you want to label it as is.... interesting.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
No acceleration numbers?

It's a very good looking car in person, I would thoroughly impressed with the interior materials.

That and the V8 from the Genesis sedan. :thumbsup:
I would agree that it's a big improvement over the last generation.

I really like the Genesis cars.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Meh...just another toaster on wheels with slightly different lines.

:thumbsdow

·
Banned
0 Posts
Well they can't ALL be Chevrolets Jeff. :lol:
I never mentioned any brands Jim. Chevy makes their fair share of toasters too.

You should know me well enough by now to know I don't/can't get enthused about any modern sedans these days...they are all the same....Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,736 Posts
Manual is only offered with the NA 2.4l.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I swear if I have to buy everyone some of these...

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,736 Posts
No acceleration numbers?

It's a very good looking car in person, I would thoroughly impressed with the interior materials.

That and the V8 from the Genesis sedan. :thumbsup:
For now, Hyundai disclosed that until it's on sale in November. But considering that the normal Sonata 2.4l 0-60 takes about 8.1 seconds and it's only 198hp. Hmmm....

1 - 20 of 80 Posts