Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mazda Proves You Can Do a Lot With A Little

If the Mazda2 proves anything, it’s that 100-hp can in fact be fun. That’s right, in case you haven’t heard, the newest and smallest car in Mazda’s lineup makes a piddly 100 ponies – almost a third of what you’ll get in some mid-size sedans.

But fun it is, thanks to an incredibly lightweight package, tipping the scales at just 2,300 lbs to start. That’s far less than almost anything else on the market (save a Smart car or a Lotus Elise), and a solid 250 lbs less than the Ford Fiesta, which shares the same platform.

STRIPPED OF WEIGHT, BUT NOT OF QUALITY OR FEATURES

Better yet, the Mazda doesn’t feel like a stripped-down runabout. On the contrary, the Mazda2’s interior puts many of its competitors to shame with a handsome design and excellent materials for this level of vehicle. Sure the seat fabric in the base Sport trim level isn’t thrilling, but the overall use of materials is quite good with piano black accenting on the center stack. The Mazda2 also seems to benefit from component sharing with the rest of the Mazda lineup, with substantial and high quality switchgear and soft touch buttons carried over from the 3. And even in base trim the car still comes equipped with power windows, locks and remote keyless entry.

Upgrade to the Touring trim and you’ll be greeted with much improved black cloth seats with red piping, a six-speaker (as opposed to 4-speaker) audio system, trip computer, plus a leather wrapped multifunction steering wheel with redundant audio controls and cruise control.

Overall, the Mazda2, like its bigger siblings, displays a cockpit well above the competition.
Get More 2011 Mazda2 Review at AutoGuide.com

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
This is like a poor man's MINI. But*I still like it. I like small cars that handle well. I think not only the gearing and the sporty set up help it make it peppy. I just can't see how a car that has less hp and weighs more than my car can be much more peppy. Although I have a failmatic so that doesn't help me. Plus my car is numb and handles like shit but its a Toyota.

The thing about this car is even the base has stuff my car doesn't. I know at the time the 4-door had more options you can get while the 2 door that I have is basic and limited with*options. So its a*feat that a car that weighs more than mine (not by much) has more get up and go with more standard stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
This car looks pretty awesome. Seems like a fun little car to have especially since it comes with a manual transmission. Props to Mazda for continuing making manual transmissions while other car makers are abandoning them more and more for autos and CVTs :disappoin

But considering how small the car is, 35 mpg highway really isn't that much. Isn't the Fiesta packing 40 mpg? This does look pretty cool though. I like where the compact segment is going nowadays. :cool:

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
This car looks pretty awesome. Seems like a fun little car to have especially since it comes with a manual transmission. Props to Mazda for continuing making manual transmissions while other car makers are abandoning them more and more for autos and CVTs :disappoin

But considering how small the car is, 35 mpg highway really isn't that much. Isn't the Fiesta packing 40 mpg? This does look pretty cool though. I like where the compact segment is going nowadays. :cool:
Mazda say that the next 2's target is 70 mpg using the Sky-G engine. Whether they can actually do this is one thing, the closest they got so far with a prototype 3 using Sky-G is 30/40. Of course Mazda also hasn't given up on the Rotary going as far to claim as the new 16X is less thirsty than their 2.0L.

Since Mazda's theme is about driving fun, I would hope they'd be the last to consider scrapping manual transmissions. At the moment the decline of manual transmissions is starting from the top. Due to how many people buy M3s, M5s, AMG Mercedes and so on to show off, manuals aren't going to sell as well compared to the semi-auto or dual clutch gearboxes which technically are faster but crucially easier to pose with. Supercars have pretty much abandoned the manual tranny as it no longer produces the speed numbers they use to. Detroit muscle is actually the only place I see still a wide variety of manuals since you have the Mustang, Challenger, CTS-V, Camaro and of course the Corvette. Manual transmissions still have a role to play in the subcompact section...but its only because of costs. With automatics now producing pretty much the same fuel economy as manuals if not better, a big reason to go manual for the regular motorist is gone.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts

I think the big reason is Mazda's focus on the car was sporty so that was the trade so to say.
So the car was geared for more sporty than economical. Its both but more sporty bias, which I like. We have enough boring economy sub compacts. Put some fun the mix and get credible mileage. IMO.:thumbsup: Although from what I heard the Fiesta handles well (for what it is). Obviously both companies use different mechanicals i.e. engine and transmission selections.

Mazda say that the next 2's target is 70 mpg using the Sky-G engine. Whether they can actually do this is one thing, the closest they got so far with a prototype 3 using Sky-G is 30/40. Of course Mazda also hasn't given up on the Rotary going as far to claim as the new 16X is less thirsty than their 2.0L.

Since Mazda's theme is about driving fun, I would hope they'd be the last to consider scrapping manual transmissions. At the moment the decline of manual transmissions is starting from the top. Due to how many people buy M3s, M5s, AMG Mercedes and so on to show off, manuals aren't going to sell as well compared to the semi-auto or dual clutch gearboxes which technically are faster but crucially easier to pose with. Supercars have pretty much abandoned the manual tranny as it no longer produces the speed numbers they use to. Detroit muscle is actually the only place I see still a wide variety of manuals since you have the Mustang, Challenger, CTS-V, Camaro and of course the Corvette. Manual transmissions still have a role to play in the subcompact section...but its only because of costs. With automatics now producing pretty much the same fuel economy as manuals if not better, a big reason to go manual for the regular motorist is gone.

Do you think they would have the 70mpg Mazda2 over here? I just can't see that. If it gets that much. I know there are already cars in Europe and maybe else where you can get cars that get 60 plus mpg. But come at a compromise that most American's wouldn't buy it. Daily driver I'm sure. I have no doubt Mazda will expand the new Sky-G engine globally but as history seems like any indicator, the U.S. gets the shaft on a lot of stuff. Or priority.

Yeah manuals are very niche now. I think more so in the NA market than anywhere else. Where a lot of developing nations don't have the tools or training for working on autos, some do but its not as widespread as the U.S. So primarily you'll see cars with manuals in those countries. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Do you think they would have the 70mpg Mazda2 over here? I just can't see that. If it gets that much. I know there are already cars in Europe and maybe else where you can get cars that get 60 plus mpg. But come at a compromise that most American's wouldn't buy it. Daily driver I'm sure. I have no doubt Mazda will expand the new Sky-G engine globally but as history seems like any indicator, the U.S. gets the shaft on a lot of stuff. Or priority.

Yeah manuals are very niche now. I think more so in the NA market than anywhere else. Where a lot of developing nations don't have the tools or training for working on autos, some do but its not as widespread as the U.S. So primarily you'll see cars with manuals in those countries. :thumbsup:
I know what you mean, being down on power, its a miracle that the Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro managed to even be sold in North America. Mazda hasn't yet released the power numbers, although they're planning on putting this engine in the MX-5 claiming it should reach 50+ mpg. Mazda has been careful not to put too much extra power in the current car despite its weight gain, I'm sure they wouldn't put a weak engine in it since this ruins the idea of the car. Of course this might be imperial mpg numbers, so US mpg numbers could be a bit lower. We shall see what Sky-G is when its released.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
I know what you mean, being down on power, its a miracle that the Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro managed to even be sold in North America. Mazda hasn't yet released the power numbers, although they're planning on putting this engine in the MX-5 claiming it should reach 50+ mpg. Mazda has been careful not to put too much extra power in the current car despite its weight gain, I'm sure they wouldn't put a weak engine in it since this ruins the idea of the car. Of course this might be imperial mpg numbers, so US mpg numbers could be a bit lower. We shall see what Sky-G is when its released.

Yeah it was certainly a risk to sell the Suzuki/GEO Metro. On top of that gas prices were dirt cheap (they still are compared to the rest of the world) but back then even more. But also consider things were different. Cars overall weren't as big as they are today. What was considered a mid sized back then is considered a compact today etc. That was before the era of SUVs. At least as we know it.

I'm sure a version of this engine will make it to U.S. shores no doubt. Mazda needs to stay competitive in this area. With all the EV and hybrids coming out in the next 4-5 years and beyond.

I heard on top of the Sky engines Mazda will make it a point to shave weight off of most of its cars. Or be more intentional about it. When it comes down to it, either put R&D into having an efficient engine in a heavy car or R&D in a light car. Sure work on the engine as well but as we know weight is a huge factor. Of course with all the safety stuff that keeps getting added on doesn't help. :thumbsup:

·
Say no to Cobalts
2007 Camry SE
53 Posts
I actually came within a financing snag of buying one of these. It DEFINITELY isn't the fastest car on the road, but it handles well and good LORD is that manual silky smooth. For the money they charge for it, it definitely delivers the quality, if not the speed.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
I actually came within a financing snag of buying one of these. It DEFINITELY isn't the fastest car on the road, but it handles well and good LORD is that manual silky smooth. For the money they charge for it, it definitely delivers the quality, if not the speed.
I wouldn't expect this car to be "fast" in the traditional sense. But hopefully peppy. And then great handling. I heard in reviews as well the shifter is very nice. Mazda is known for that. I think they have some MX-5 inspiration into the car. Not a bad thing. Light weight car you can throw around.

Edmunds Inside Line just recently added one to their long term fleet for an extended test.

If anyone is interested in the car they can go over to:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2011-mazda-2-touring/

Will be interesting to see how it holds up.
Thanks for the link! Yes it will be interesting. Hopefully it does. I'm curious to see the next gen probably 2014 (globally at least):thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts