Toyota Nation Forum banner

2011 Rav4 - Fuel Pump Harness Wiring

1019 8
I'm trying to put a Fuel Pump killswitch onto my 2011 Rav4 but I don't know what color wires to cut in order to install the switch. Does anyone know which wires I am supposed to cut?
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electrical supply Wire
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use a meter or test light and see which gets power and when.
Thank you for your help! Yes, I forgot to mention that I tried to use a test light but, I'm not good at figuring it out how to use it. I viewed some videos on how to use a test light but still can't figure it out ...I know... I suck at this :( ... I was hoping that someone knew which color I have to cut. I believe it is one of the yellow cables but I don't know is the thick or thin looking one... :(

· Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
18,709 Posts
Don't take this wrong but if you can't use a test light you shouldn't be cutting and splicing into wires in the fuel pump circuit. There's more going on than power to the pump and a ground. This could easily go sideways on you and get very expensive.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Sir, I completely agree with you and that is the reason that I am seeking wisdom from the Toyota Nation guys and gals. Maybe someone who has done this in his or her same model of vehicle can assist me. Thank you!

· Registered
2013 Camry XLE
3,239 Posts
My question is why? If this is to be a theft deterrent, I would think an ignition kill would be easier. If it has to be a fuel pump kill why are you wiring it at the pump? Less wire running if you did it from behind the drivers kick panel. I think you can access the wires from there. I don’t have an electrical diagram for you, but it would sure be helpful for you to get one.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is for theft deterrence, I thought about the ignition kill too, but I decided to go for the fuel pump kill. I already ran the wiring through the vehicle and got the switch installed. I have the diagram also, but I still cannot figure out which cable to cut. The fuel pump wiring in the 2011 Rav4 runs outside the vehicle (from the fuel pump, along outer area under the vehicle and enters inside the vehicle near the gearshift console driver side area (This model does not have access to the fuel pump via the rear seats). Thank you for the advice!

· Registered
2021 Highlander XSE V6
334 Posts
First test the test light on your main battery terminals and make sure the test light even works. I prefer using a multi-meter as it’s a way more useful tool.

Either way I wouldn't attempt this install without a adding high quality OEM grade relay to the circuit. Using just a switch inline to the fuel pump is asking for trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts