Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the rev limiter is at around 6200 on the 2011 scion tC.

Is there anyway to remove it?

If yes, would it be a considerable upgrade or should I leave it like that?

·
2,656 Posts
It's not a mechanical rev limiter, but it's built into the ECU. The only way to remove it would be to override your stock ECU with some kind of piggyback BUT there really is no gain to be had as the rev limited is there to protect the engine from damage, not reduce horsepower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a mechanical rev limiter, but it's built into the ECU. The only way to remove it would be to override your stock ECU with some kind of piggyback BUT there really is no gain to be had as the rev limited is there to protect the engine from damage, not reduce horsepower.
I understand that, but let's imagine for a moment that there is no such thing as engine damage, do you think it could be an interesting upgrade, like maybe shifting at 7-8k could be better? or is there absolutely no power up there?

Of course, I won't do it to protect the engine just yet, although I might get tougher pistons, rings, etc. and with that idea was born the idea of removing the ECU's rev limiter. Would it then be worth it?

·
2,656 Posts
It's from the Toyota pressroom, but since I just found this through a google search, I can't directly account for the validity of the numbers. Without a LOT of help(boost, tune, bottom end build, etc.....), as you can see, there really isn't a point in revving that high in a 2AZ-FE.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts