Which motor should I get?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup:
What's up Toyota Nation? I've been an avid TNer in the past and have yet to be disappointed by this cool site!

So here's my question....

I want to know what motor (v6 or i4) I should go with and why when I purchase a 2011 Camry in the next couple of months!

A little backstory....

-I currently own (And have owned for the past 7 years) a 1994 Camry LE 2.2 4 banger.
-I've had to WOT it ^ just to merge onto the freeway safely at times
-Overall buying price isn't a huge priority.
-I'll be driving around 200-300 miles/ week on her
-I will be driving 70-80% highway, in traffic half of that
-there are a decent amount of hills between work and home
-I occasionally have a heavy foot
-I want something quiet and smooth (opposite of mine now)
-I can get pretty cheap insurance
-I'd like to have zero issues for at least two years (barring maintenance)
-I'm definitely buying an SE

I'm open to your ideas and advice! Thanks a lot.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
852 Posts
either a good old 428 or 454, 4 bolt main with dual Holley 750 cfm's...

ok...

seriously, many here have said, and i too have "read" the mileage sticker on both cars, the V-6 isn't that far off the mileage as a 4 cyl.

it really depends on YOU....

when you pass someone, with the a/c on, do you want power to pass, or lag behind a bit..???

right now, i have a '10 LE, and i couldn't be happier.

i "speed up" on occasions, so the lag does not bother me.

i am currently "looking" at the Chevy Malibu, with the 4 cyl, turbo engine.....

i drove one a few days ago......great "Get up and go" with a turbo....

but Toyota is (i think) missing "the boat" on "turbo-ing" thier 4cyls.......

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
Forum member "thedunce" will probably be the best help. He has a 2007 SE V6 and a 2010 LE I4. That is mostly helpful for the fuel economy debate.

As for the power and driving, I would go ahead and test drive both for a good 15-30 miles each on varying roads and see which one you like.

The V-6 is stupid fast. The I-4 is more than adequate as well and both will feel like rockets compared to your 1994.

Each has one major complaint:

The I4 has six speed automatic transmission complains all the time.

The V6 will rape you on engine repair bills due to complexity.

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,901 Posts
V6 all the way :thumbsup:.

It's more refined, quieter, smoother, and of course has the get up and go when you need it, which, from your description and commute, you seem like you would.

My first car was an I4 Camry, and since I gave it up for my V6 Lexus and Solara, I'm not going back to a 4 cylinder anytime soon.

But like hardtopte72 said, test driving them both (ideally back to back on the same roads) will give you the best comparison of both engines.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,774 Posts
What speedkar9 said.... I own a '06 XLE V6 and a '07 XLE I4. I4 gets slightly better mileage in town, 24 compared to 20, and a good bet better on the highway, 34 compared to 24. BUT.. comparing the two, the V6 is a much more refined vehicle as he says. If my I4 was not used for work where I had a budget, I'd be driving a V6.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,952 Posts
If you want the quietest Camry up to date- get a Gen 7 Camry.
If you want cheaper insurance- get I-4.
If you want much better MPG in traffic and on HWY- get I4.
If you want a better resale value- get I4.

V6 is definitely more powerful, but newer 2.5 as quick as Gen 6 3.0 Camry and much quicker than your 94 Camry. MPG wise 2.5 will get you 23-24 MPG in the city and easy 32-35 MPG on HWY and can do up to 40+ under steady 60-65 MPH.
All the people that I know that drive V-6 Camry/ ES350/ Avalon in DFW are getting 20 MPG in the city and no more than 32-33 on HWY.
Both engines are very reliable, but I4 is a bit easier and cheaper to maintain.
But first of all, you should go and test drive V6 and i4 and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Camry V6
1,296 Posts
either a good old 428 or 454, 4 bolt main with dual Holley 750 cfm's...

ok...

seriously, many here have said, and i too have "read" the mileage sticker on both cars, the V-6 isn't that far off the mileage as a 4 cyl.

it really depends on YOU....

when you pass someone, with the a/c on, do you want power to pass, or lag behind a bit..???

right now, i have a '10 LE, and i couldn't be happier.

i "speed up" on occasions, so the lag does not bother me.

i am currently "looking" at the Chevy Malibu, with the 4 cyl, turbo engine.....

i drove one a few days ago......great "Get up and go" with a turbo....

but Toyota is (i think) missing "the boat" on "turbo-ing" thier 4cyls.......
From personal experience, what i heard from former chevy dealership technician etc chevy is really horrible in reliability. Especially with the turbos. Open any chevy intake and its flooded with oil. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Camry V6
1,296 Posts
Coming from a 94 2.2 i think the I4 would be the best choice. Compared to the 94 (with all the wear and tear from age and mileage plug smaller and less powerful engine), it will feel like a rocket ship lol. Its not in anyway slow, you shouldn't have to come close to WOT to merge into the highway and would be better on gas. As "molson.david" said if you like it, get the gen 7. Its newer, better interior, sporty 18" rims is a nice option. I would have gotten one but i like buying the last year they make a car or at least if its been out for a 1 or 2.
I have the v6 and I love it so much. Its unbelievable fast (ultimate sleeper )and i can get 36 mpg highway, if I drive conservatively. Good luck with your purchase, you'll be happy with either choice.

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Camry Le
9 Posts
Ah, the old 4 vs 6 debate....

I have a 2010 LE with the V6. I do a lot of hyway driving and could'nt be happier with the V6. Mpg's might be 10-15% higher , maybe $10 bucks per tank extra, but the smile factor when you put your foot into it is well worth it...

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
If you find a V6, give it a test drive. But be warned, once you test drive the V6 you won't want the I4. :lol:

To me, the difference between the I4 and the V6 is not just down to the 0-60 time. What I find important when driving in the city is what I call "lazy" power. I want my car to move quickly without the need to wring out its neck (which helps a lot when pulling onto a 55mph frontage road from a dead stop in heavy traffic). You get this from the extra torque rather than the extra horsepower. Plus, the increased low end torque means you can stay in a higher gear for longer which keeps the RPMs lower and helps keep the gas mileage up. The V6 gets great gas mileage when highway cruising as it can stay in 6th gear without the need to downshift when going up inclines. In my 6th Gen 2009 SE V6, I can get over 31mpg on long (500+ mile) highway trips, which is 3mpg over the EPA highway estimate. The Gen 7 does even better.

You can baby the V6 to get great gas mileage, but still have power on tap for when you need it.

However, on the flip side, you can get even better gas mileage out of the I4. So it is up to you to decide if you want the extra power for safety or the increased gas mileage. I've only ever driven the 2.5L I4 in the Rav4, and it was a dog in low speed city driving, but the Rav4 is a little heavier than the Camry.

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys! I appreciate all the feedback and I'm going to be test driving this month so I'll get a little closer to my final decision soon! I really want something with a little more umph, but it sounds like both will do the job. I'll figure out what I want in due time. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a '98 LE V6 and a '10 XLE V6 (just bought it). I used to drive my '98 between Huntington Beach, CA and El Segundo, CA on a daily basis (~60 mi round trip). I would take a V6 over an I4 any day. Once you get going on the road, the MPG between the V6 and I4 are pretty similar. When I drive between San Diego and Huntington Beach I usually average ~32 MPG without traffic. When you're sitting in traffic (especially LA traffic), MPG is pretty crappy anyway, so I don't really mind having the V6. The extra power on the '10 has definitely gotten me out of a few "hairy" situations...

My dad has an '09 camry I4 and while it certainly has enough get-up-and-go for freeway merging, his engine has been making a funny noise and I also can't stand that it keeps "hunting" for gears when we drive the 73 toll road, especially the larger hills.

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a '98 LE V6 and a '10 XLE V6 (just bought it). I used to drive my '98 between Huntington Beach, CA and El Segundo, CA on a daily basis (~60 mi round trip). I would take a V6 over an I4 any day. Once you get going on the road, the MPG between the V6 and I4 are pretty similar. When I drive between San Diego and Huntington Beach I usually average ~32 MPG without traffic. When you're sitting in traffic (especially LA traffic), MPG is pretty crappy anyway, so I don't really mind having the V6. The extra power on the '10 has definitely gotten me out of a few "hairy" situations...

My dad has an '09 camry I4 and while it certainly has enough get-up-and-go for freeway merging, his engine has been making a funny noise and I also can't stand that it keeps "hunting" for gears when we drive the 73 toll road, especially the larger hills.

Good points. Funny thing I actually live on the Huntington/ Fountain Valley border now. I'll be moving though and commuting to riverside. Very hilly areas to get to work.

I applied for a job in El Segundo too-Boeing. Small world.

Also, I got an online quote from my insurance and the apparent difference between a V6 and a 4cyl is $10. So that will no longer be a factor in my decision!

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Test drove both. V6 was a way smoother and faster car. If I can indeed baby it and still get good mileage, then it's the right option for me! Thanks guys

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Camry V6
1,296 Posts
Test drove both. V6 was a way smoother and faster car. If I can indeed baby it and still get good mileage, then it's the right option for me! Thanks guys
one more v6 camry owner ! :grin: What color is it? Cant wait to see it. Are you planning to mod it?

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one more v6 camry owner ! :grin: What color is it? Cant wait to see it. Are you planning to mod it?
I'm looking at either a silver or dark blue one. Working out some financial stuff in the next month then looking at October as my month to buy!

I don't think I can stay away from the modding bug long...

The motor is really quiet, which is nice for low-rpm relaxed driving, but when I get on it, I want to hear what's up. I think a self built or Fujita CAI will be one of the first orders of business.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Camry V6
1,296 Posts
I'm looking at either a silver or dark blue one. Working out some financial stuff in the next month then looking at October as my month to buy!

I don't think I can stay away from the modding bug long...

The motor is really quiet, which is nice for low-rpm relaxed driving, but when I get on it, I want to hear what's up. I think a self built or Fujita CAI will be one of the first orders of business.
Yea its hard to resist modding it. I want to buy the fujita CAI but i think ill build one my self. I dont like the 3" piping. Ifit was 2.5" i would have one already lol

·
Registered
'08 Camry LE
54 Posts
I have a 2008 Camry LE with the 2AZ-FE 2.4L I4.

I wish I had the 2GR-FE V6 every time I drive my car. It comes down to:
~ Passing power (effortless with or without cargo)
~ Safety
~ Comfort (vibration and noise)
~ Fun (critical for a car I drive daily)

I once had my Camry loaded with 4 passengers (less than 170lb each) with no additional cargo and struggled to merge onto a 70mph highway from the shoulder. The 2AZ-FE does not have the torque to get you up to speed when you need it. That was enough for me, and I have been justified by similar examples throughout my 3 years of ownership.

IMHO: It's worth the $250 premium ($0.66/day in fuel) for the V6.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.