Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hardly the most attractive car on display at the Tokyo Auto Salon, the TES Concept T-Sports might be one of the most exciting for regular folks in search of an affordable sports car.

Since the first introduction of Toyota‘s FT-86 Concept, rumors have surfaced that the cost of development of the car has risen and that consumers will have to carry that burden by paying more for the vehicle. With Toyota's plans for an affordable sports car in trouble, the automaker has reportedly been planning a more entry-level version of the car.

No one at Toyota is saying as much, but the TES Concept T-Sports might just be the answer. While about as pretty as Snookie, unlike the reality star, it's what's underneath that counts. You see, this early prototype was built by the Toyota Engineering Society (TES) in response to a questionnaire that asked what sort of vehicles they thought Toyota needed to build. The answer: an affordable sports car. And like the FT-86 it's front-engine, rear-wheel drive.

Powered by Toyota's 1.3-liter 4-cylinder engine this concept makes 109-hp, but weighs under 2,000 lbs. The car is 150-inches long and 65-inches wide, making it just over a foot shorter in length than the FT-86.

Toyota isn't commenting, but this concept certainly hints at the fact that engineers are studying plans for a baby FT-86.

More: 2011 Tokyo Auto Salon: TES Concept T-Sports Previews Baby FT-86 on AutoGuide.com

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
16,189 Posts
^ Yeah man. Agreed 100%.

This could be a true sporting car.

The above pic doesn't do it justice... so I took the liberty of posting up a couple more for those who will pass judgment without taking a peak at the article on AutoGuide's site.

My guess is that if it ever shows up in N.Amer. it'll gain more of a nose due to safety/crash standards.

·
Search Bar User
33 Posts
Ugly to some, beautiful to me 'cause it's going to perform!

Anyway, I just had a thought! With all those retro muscle cars out there from the Big Three, Toyota could do the same with a modern-retro 2000GT!! That car is rare as it is and it'll be amazing to bring it back for us unfortunate enthusiast that can't enjoy it today!

·
Vivir el momento
18,784 Posts
While I'm not a fan of the styling of the front fascia, I can respect the fact that this car embodies alot of the elements of the first generation Mazda Miata.

Only time will tell if it's actually able to perform like it if it does come to market.

·
straight cash homie
18,842 Posts
No way in hell would they bring that to market looking like that, because it looks they just slapped some lights on that look disproportionate. But yes, the concept is does have promise, especially underneath. Make the design different for production and boom, Toyota will another car that ain't boring.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
5,615 Posts
It looks almost like the MR2 Spyder from the side. This will be re-styled if it goes to production, I think this concept was thrown together to throw engineers a bone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From the side it looks like a little s2k. It's like s2k meets miata. If it performed like a combination of those two cars that would be great. I agree that the front and rear need a touch up for sure though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts