Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 2011 Toyota Corolla cd/stereo screen malfunctions and text display on the screen goes off most times until I press the covering case around the screen before the text display again. What is the solution to this please as the YouTube video below only explains the problem without giving solution.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds to me that the ribbon cable has come loose. See if there's any way to take the front face plate off. On my 06 Corolla, behind the face is a ribbon cable that came loose. Plug it in and see if that solves the issue.
Ok. I'll give it a try when I'm back home in a few weeks time

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
270 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Usually after sitting in the cold overnight would cause this for me. Was pretty random too.

All I would do is tap on the top of the stereo and the display would come back.
I've since switched to an aftermarket stereo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine did the same thing. Usually after sitting in the cold overnight would cause this for me. Was pretty random too.

All I would do is tap on the top of the stereo and the display would come back.
I've since switched to an aftermarket stereo.
Are u saying my stereo is broken and due for replacement?. Is your aftermarket stereo working fine?

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
270 Posts
Are u saying my stereo is broken and due for replacement?. Is your aftermarket stereo working fine?
I wouldn't say it's broken I think it's a sporadic issue toyota wasn't able to nail down. If I recall correctly, other members here have had issues like this as well

When mine did it all I would lose is the display. Still played music and everything though.

But yes my aftermarket stereo works perfect

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't say it's broken I think it's a sporadic issue toyota wasn't able to nail down. If I recall correctly, other members here have had issues like this as well

When mine did it all I would lose is the display. Still played music and everything though.

But yes my aftermarket stereo works perfect
Ok thanks. Toyota should profer solutions to this. I think humid air/moisture may be responsible for this. If this is so, Perhaps, we will have to stockpile dessicant silica gel behind the stereo. Lol

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
270 Posts
Ok thanks. Toyota should profer solutions to this. I think humid air/moisture may be responsible for this. If this is so, Perhaps, we will have to stockpile dessicant silica gel behind the stereo. Lol
They won't for a 10ish year old car. Not worth it. Plus almost any aftermarket stereo is better then the base stock stereo.
I don't think it's moisture. If there's that much moisture behind your dash and stereo then you have bigger issues then the stereo

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the same issue with my '10 Corolla LE stock radio with CD. I notice it more now as I work from home and occasionally drive the car. I see those funny characters or the displays goes blank and I still hear the audio. Eventually the display comes back on and I can switch stations then. When the radio dies, I will just install an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yep, years ago my 2010 Corolla LE with CD radio would switch to the alien character set of our future masters. Usually when it was hot and the sun was shining on the dash. After running the A/C on recirculate for awhile it would comes back down to earth. Then sometimes blank. Then the aliens took over the radio and I wouldn't be able to change stations or control the volume, or even turn it off.

I installed an aftermarket radio with a display screen and took the opportunity to install a backup camera.
Pioneer AVH-210EX with a bezel kit and a cheap backup camera. It's been great for well over a year now. AND better, I put all my favorite music on a USB thumbdrive, plugged it into the radio. AND my iphone links to it and it came with a microphone for hand-free (legal) usage. The Toyota radio was always weak, dated, and junk!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep, years ago my 2010 Corolla LE with CD radio would switch to the alien character set of our future masters. Usually when it was hot and the sun was shining on the dash. After running the A/C on recirculate for awhile it would comes back down to earth. Then sometimes blank. Then the aliens took over the radio and I wouldn't be able to change stations or control the volume, or even turn it off.

I installed an aftermarket radio with a display screen and took the opportunity to install a backup camera.
Pioneer AVH-210EX with a bezel kit and a cheap backup camera. It's been great for well over a year now. AND better, I put all my favorite music on a USB thumbdrive, plugged it into the radio. AND my iphone links to it and it came with a microphone for hand-free (legal) usage. The Toyota radio was always weak, dated, and junk!!
Mine did the same. First time Toyota replaced it under warranty. The 2nd time I replaced it with an aftermarket one.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
270 Posts

My stereo did the same as yours but mostly in the cold weather. I had 2 times where it glitched in a hot day. But knocking on the top of the stereo would usually fix that issue. I ended up with an aftermarket stereo as well. Did a single din and Amp with 2 tens behind the driver and passanger seats and 2 alpine spr60s in thr front doors with some killmat.

The toyota headunit is shameful. But the speakers Toyota uses.... I don't even know why they are called speakers.

·
Registered
230 Posts
hit the unit with your palm it usually fixes that. my did wierd things about ten times from mile 0 to now. I blame my GF for hitting it in the first place, but hey its her car.... her problem :p

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
270 Posts
hit the unit with your palm it usually fixes that. my did wierd things about ten times from mile 0 to now. I blame my GF for hitting it in the first place, but hey its her car.... her problem :p
This usually fixed my issue. Up until I chabged out the unit for aftermarket

·
Registered
230 Posts
occasionnally, it will think a disc is inside but there are none, I realized it hadnt eaten a disc when I saw all my cds were here, so I tricked it into thinking the cd got out... found a piece of silver straw like those on chrismas decorations, and it greatly helped the issue... to fix it I just wiggled a bobby pin in the cd hole for about half an hour... Got lucky haha ...

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
270 Posts
occasionnally, it will think a disc is inside but there are none, I realized it hadnt eaten a disc when I saw all my cds were here, so I tricked it into thinking the cd got out... found a piece of silver straw like those on chrismas decorations, and it greatly helped the issue... to fix it I just wiggled a bobby pin in the cd hole for about half an hour... Got lucky haha ...
Mines currently sitting in a bag. Packed up in a box. I just moved. I'm debating if I should Keep it. Or harvest components from it. or just throw it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts