Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
straight cash homie
18,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/16/2011-toyota-corolla-will-debut-in-la-with-new-nose
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-toyota-corolla/

Toyota has given the Corolla a quick refresh for 2011, and we can expect to get our first in-the-flesh peak at the design at the 2010 LA Auto Show later this week. Toyota says it sought help from styling studios in Turin, Italy, in shaping the small sedan's revised nose and tail section. With a new bumper cap, grille and headlights, the 2011 Corolla now wears a face that's a bit more differentiated from the much larger Camry. Out back, Toyota designers also gave the car a reworked trunk lid and rear bumper.

Next year will also bring a host of standard safety tech, including vehicle stability control and traction control. Otherwise, buyers can expect to be met with the same 132-horsepower 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine as the 2010 model. While we have no qualms with the company's workhorse four-pot, we are more than a little disappointed to see that the archaic four-speed automatic will stay on for 2011 as well. At least the five-speed manual gearbox is still available.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/2011-toyota-corolla-178740.aspx
TORRANCE, Calif. (Nov. 16, 2010) – Making its debut at the Los Angeles Auto show tomorrow, the 2011 Toyota Corolla – the best selling subcompact in America – will feature new front and rear exterior styling, new interior design changes, Toyota Care complimentary maintenance plan, standard Smart Stop Technology, and two new colors. With a compelling combination of responsive, fun-to-drive performance, proven value and significant safety credentials, more than 30 million Corollas have been sold worldwide since 1966. The 2011 Corolla will go in sale in December.

The 2011 Corolla continues to offer Toyota’s Star Safety System™ standard, which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist. It also features the standard Smart Stop Technology brake-override system.

Performance and Efficiency
The 2011 Corolla is available in three grades: the base-model Corolla, LE, and S. All models are equipped with the 1.8-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine, which produces 132 hp at 6,000 rpm and 128 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm. Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) controls valve timing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts to help optimize performance and fuel economy. Internal components are optimized to reduce friction.

The 1.8-liter engine is paired with a five-speed manual transmission or a four-speed automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission (ECT) on the base Corolla, while the LE model features the four-speed automatic standard. The four-speed automatic uses a torque converter with flex lockup for increased fuel efficiency, as well as uphill/downhill shift control. For a more engaging driving experience, the driver can shift the four-speed automatic manually by moving the shift lever to the left from its “D” position into the “S” position, then pushing forward for upshifts and back for downshifts. An indicator inside the combination gauge shows the gear selected. The 1.8-liter engine on the Corolla S transmits power through the five-speed manual transmission or the four-speed automatic.

The 1.8-liter engine has earned an EPA-estimated fuel economy rating of 28 mpg city and 35 mpg highway with the five-speed manual transmission, and 26 mpg city and 34 mpg highway with the four-speed automatic transmission.

Handling and Ride
The smooth-riding Corolla is built around a stiff body structure that relies on high tensile-strength steel, gussets and cross members for its strength, rigidity and lightweight construction. Front suspension is composed of a compact, rigid L-arm-type MacPherson strut with a stabilizer bar. The Corolla’s torsion beam rear suspension employs a coil-over-shock arrangement that allows efficient packaging along with solid handling and excellent ride comfort.

Brakes consist of 10.7-inch vented discs up front for all models and nine-inch drums in the rear. An electric power-assist steering system uses a compact motor, speed reducer and torque sensor built into the steering column. The system varies the amount of assistance according to engine RPM and vehicle speed. The result is appropriate weight and responsiveness at higher speeds, and light effort at low speeds. Electric power steering reduces parasitic losses to the engine, thereby aiding fuel economy. It is also environmentally efficient, because it does not require hydraulic oil.

Safety
The Corolla is engineered to absorb and disperse impact energy throughout the entire body structure, including front and rear crumple zones. Strengthened door beltline reinforcements help share the impact load, which in side impacts is also directed to the underbody. A direct tire pressure monitor system comes standard on every Corolla.

As part of the Toyota Star Safety System, Vehicle Stability Control automatically adjusts engine output and the vehicle’s braking force at individual wheels to help control any discrepancy between where the driver is steering and where the vehicle is heading.

All Corolla models are equipped with six standard airbags, including advanced front airbags, front seat-mounted side airbags, and front-and-rear side-curtain airbags. Seatbelt pretensioners retract the seat belt at the time of a frontal collision, and the dual-stage force limiter helps limit the seat belt force applied to the passenger’s chest. Front seats integrate active headrests. If the vehicle is struck from the rear with sufficient force, a cable-actuated mechanism in the active front headrest moves the headrest upward and forward to help limit the movement of the occupant's head. The Corolla also features an energy-absorbing steering column.

Comfort and Convenience
The 2011 Corolla upholds a 40-plus year heritage for providing outstanding value in standard equipment. All models feature a standard all-weather package. The Corolla grade features new 15-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers; P195/65 R15 tires; a color-keyed front grille and exterior door handles; a heavy-duty rear window defogger with timer; AM/FM/CD audio with four speakers with MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, and auto sound leveling; air conditioning with pollen filter; intermittent windshield wipers; daytime running lights; black folding power mirrors that are larger for improved rear visibility; tilt and telescopic steering wheel; multi-information display with outside temperature, instant fuel economy, average fuel economy, average speed and travel distance; fabric-trimmed six-way adjustable drivers seat; four-way adjustable front passenger seat; 60/40 split folding rear seats and a 12-volt auxiliary power outlet.

The popular Corolla LE grade adds variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle; color-keyed power heated outside mirrors; AM/FM/CD audio with six speakers with MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, and auto sound leveling; cruise control; multi-function in-key remote keyless entry system with lock, unlock, trunk release, panic and remote illuminated entry; power windows with driver side auto down; tilt/telescopic sport steering wheel with metallic accents and audio controls; and power door locks with shift-activated automatic locking feature.

The sporty Corolla S grade adds newly designed 16-inch alloy wheels and 205/55 R16 tires; multi-reflector halogen headlamps with black housing; color-keyed front and rear underbody spoilers, sport side rocker panels, unique S badge and rear mudguards; color-keyed rear spoiler, integrated fog lamps; front sport seats; chrome-tipped exhaust; an new tilt/telescopic sport steering wheel with audio controls; chrome exhaust tip; sport fabric-trimmed six-way adjustable drivers seat and four-way adjustable front passenger seat; metallic style interior trim and analog sport instrumentation.

Options
The Corolla LE and S grades offer a power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade; and an AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, XM® Radio (includes 90 day trial subscription), auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod connectivity, CD text display function, auto sound leveling, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology.

The Corolla LE offers a Premium Package that includes 16-inch, five-spoke alloy wheels with P205/55R16 tires; integrated fog lamps; power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade; AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, XM® Radio (includes 90 day trial subscription), auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod connectivity, CD text display function, auto sound leveling, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology.

Exterior Design
The Corolla’s design, created with input from styling studios in Turin, Italy, strikes a sporty profile. New 2011 exterior-design changes were made on the front bumper, radiator grille, front lower grille, headlamps, trunk lid, rear license garnish, rear combination lamp, rear bumper and reflex reflector. Built on a 102.4-inch wheelbase, the Corolla provides room for five, and its 12.3 cu. ft. trunk rivals midsize cars’ trunks in capacity. The sporty profile is the result of pulling the A-pillar forward and the C-pillar rearward, which also enhances aerodynamic performance for optimal fuel efficiency.

Character lines sweep from the hood toward the A-pillars and carry back from the top edge of the front bumper into the subtle yet muscular front-fender flares. Additional lines carry rearward at the level of the door handles, emphasizing the Corolla’s low profile, and sweep down from the C-pillar and along the top edges of the rear fenders.

Just above the dense mesh grille that helps form the now familiar Toyota T-face, an interlayer of anti-chipping coating is used to help minimize paint damage from stone chips. The side-view mirrors have increased in size for excellent visibility; heated side-view mirrors are available. The standard body kit on S the model adds a sporty look while also enhancing aerodynamics. The kit includes a front spoiler, rocker moldings, and upper and lower rear spoilers. Engine undercovers improve air management under the car on all models.

Toyota designers focused significant attention on reducing wind noise. The A-pillar is specially profiled for this purpose. The windshield is made from acoustic glass and the window-frame structure is designed to reduce vibration of side glass. The windshield molding, wiper blade covers and shape of the cowl air intake louvers are all designed to minimize noise. Windshield washer nozzles are partially shielded by the rear edge of the hood, instead of sitting atop the hood or cowling. Inside, the carpeting is designed to better absorb noise.

Interior Design
The 2011 Corolla features a number of new interior design features that enhance its distinctive style. A new seat color and pattern enhances Corolla’s contemporary looks, while the combination meter design has been changed with the aim of enhancing clarity. The instrument panel upper and door trim upper color has been changed, revealing a sophisticated cabin appearance. A newly designed steering wheel on the Corolla S is provides a sporty image.

The Corolla’s driving position and front seats are tailored to a wider range of driver heights. A standard tilt and telescope steering wheel in all models makes it easy for taller drivers to find a comfortable position.

A multi-information display presents a variety of information, including outside temperature, instant fuel economy, average fuel economy, average speed and travel distance.

The Corolla’s rear bench seat offers space and comfort for three adults. Careful attention to exhaust system routing provides a nearly flat rear floor, enhancing comfort for the middle passenger. Three interior color schemes are available: Ash, Dark Charcoal and Bisque. The Bisque is paired with Ash Brown trim.

A variety of useable, easy-to-reach storage spaces provide convenience and usability inside the Corolla. These include center console side pockets; a storage box above the usual glove box; front and rear door pockets that can safely hold 20-ounce bottles; a console box with a large-capacity main tray and a smaller accessory tray; an overhead console useful for storage of sunglasses or garage-door openers; and a rear-seat center armrest with an integral drink holder.

Limited Warranty
Toyota’s 36-month/36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. Additional 60-month warranties cover the powertrain for 60,000 miles and corrosion with no mileage limitation.

·
straight cash homie
18,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To add: Looks like they did indeed dropped the XRS and XLE grades. I own an XRS, and I figure those 2AZs are probably exhausted, or at least diverted all to the Scion xBs. I guess this makes the S model even more appealing, though having a 4AT is still anemic these days.

ALSO: Forgot to mention, the Corolla is still at 35 MPG, while other cars in this segment are shoot at 40 MPG. For many buyers, that might be a deal breaker.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
It's a good looking car, but good lord, this is a underwhelming refresh. They really needed to do more, considering the new competition this year. Drum brakes? 4-speed? Seriously?

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,699 Posts
A Corolla refresh!!! So exciting!!!

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised they are doing it this early, cause for the USDM version was new or out in 09. But I guess with the competition. Not that it will make a difference IMO. Sure the Corolla will sell cause the name and old ladies still drive. But the competition will get a bigger chunk of sales, considering the cars that will be coming out. The Elantra, Focus, Forte' (that is out now), Cruz (although it looks dated and blah but handsome), etc.

The days for cruising along cause they have a known name, is gone or almost gone for Toyota. THey know that. I'm not surprised that they dropped the XRS, I'm disapointed but...I guess with the tC with better power and bang for your buck. Also the current XRS is not a value based on performance and features compared to other cars in its class, I think its overpriced cause you can get a lot better for the price of the XRS. (No offense got-rice:D)

The taillights look dated, then again the car looks dated right out the box. If this was early to mid 2000's then maybe. But the taillights look very cheap and from Walmart, and doesn't go with the rest of the car. Although I do like the trunk design, not bad IMO. Also 4-speed, drum brakes...way to go Chrysl...er Toyota, and get with the times. Even the Dodge and Chrysler offerings have a 6-speed, that's sad. Otherwise pretty uninspiring, then again that's Toyota.

84Cressida I agree, not much of a refresh. But I think cause of time and money, they didn't go to extensive. Now you know how I feel about the "new" Avalon:rolleyes:

·
straight cash homie
18,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised they are doing it this early, cause for the USDM version was new or out in 09. But I guess with the competition. Not that it will make a difference IMO. Sure the Corolla will sell cause the name and old ladies still drive. But the competition will get a bigger chunk of sales, considering the cars that will be coming out. The Elantra, Focus, Forte' (that is out now), Cruz (although it looks dated and blah but handsome), etc.

The days for cruising along cause they have a known name, is gone or almost gone for Toyota. THey know that. I'm not surprised that they dropped the XRS, I'm disapointed but...I guess with the tC with better power and bang for your buck. Also the current XRS is not a value based on performance and features compared to other cars in its class, I think its overpriced cause you can get a lot better for the price of the XRS. (No offense got-rice:D)

The taillights look dated, then again the car looks dated right out the box. If this was early to mid 2000's then maybe. But the taillights look very cheap and from Walmart, and doesn't go with the rest of the car. Although I do like the trunk design, not bad IMO. Also 4-speed, drum brakes...way to go Chrysl...er Toyota, and get with the times. Even the Dodge and Chrysler offerings have a 6-speed, that's sad. Otherwise pretty uninspiring, then again that's Toyota.

84Cressida I agree, not much of a refresh. But I think cause of time and money, they didn't go to extensive. Now you know how I feel about the "new" Avalon:rolleyes:
None taken...since my XRS is currently in for "warranty issues" at the dealer, and I'm stuck driving an Aveo this time around :(

Even if you take away the recalls, Toyota will still have a tough sell besides all their "reliability" and "reputation". While still a decent car and value, it's the COMPETITION that is doing more than just little refreshes here and there. Heck, the 2012 Civic will be all new, and will take all the regular import buyers away from the Corolla, and that is even before the significantly redesigned Focus and Elantra step foot.

EK2000, I am in totally agree with you about AUTOTUNE btw, today's music is toilet paper material (love my old school hip hop always).

·
Tacoma Rocks
1,742 Posts
Wow, this refresh was less meaningful than I expected.
Given that the 2011 rolla for Costa Rica does have disc brakes and a 6 speed manual.

Anyway, a refresh in just 2 model years?
Yep Toyota, u know this model lags against its competition.
What a way of telling us.... :lol:

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts

The difference with the Avalon is that it actually got a more substantial refresh than this did and it's not a nearly as important car. They can't afford to half-ass the Corolla like this.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
The exterior is trying to move away from Camry...oddly its moved towards the old Mazda6 with those headlights. The old interior was very cheap...this one...still looks very cheap. This steering wheel has buttons but Toyota still kept that really awful cheapo cruise control stick that even Chrysler has abandoned. I think they should have just saved money and skipped this refresh. Compared to the refreshes we're seeing from Ford, Hyundai, Kia and even Chrysler...this Toyota refresh is pointless.

·
11,330 Posts
The difference with the Avalon is that it actually got a more substantial refresh than this did and it's not a nearly as important car. They can't afford to half-ass the Corolla like this.
Does it really matter? The majority of owners will trade in this car in 5 years (10 at the most) or less anyway, which is the target audience Toyota is going for

·
11,330 Posts
The exterior is trying to move away from Camry...oddly its moved towards the old Mazda6 with those headlights. The old interior was very cheap...this one...still looks very cheap. This steering wheel has buttons but Toyota still kept that really awful cheapo cruise control stick that even Chrysler has abandoned. I think they should have just saved money and skipped this refresh. Compared to the refreshes we're seeing from Ford, Hyundai, Kia and even Chrysler...this Toyota refresh is pointless.
Majority of cars today mostly look the same, anyway. Corolla will be just another pea in the pod. if they can cut the price like Volkswagen did for the Golf/Jetta, it should do okay.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The silver trim piece in the lower left corner of the picture shows misaligned paneling. It's really sad that Toyota releases an outdated Corolla and press pics displaying how bad their quality has gotten.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
What makes this so painful is that I truly do think this Corolla is one sharp looking car, and easily one of the best of all the generations, but there is so much in the car that feels half-baked and so unlike Toyota.

·
straight cash homie
18,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The silver trim piece in the lower left corner of the picture shows misaligned paneling. It's really sad that Toyota releases an outdated Corolla and press pics displaying how bad their quality has gotten.

That's just a pre-production model, or is it? :lol:

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Given the normal leadtimes for these photos and launch dates, this must be a pre-production model in the photo. And that trim misalignment looks more like a shadow from a bevelled edge to me - having pulled that piece off many a time I can attest that periodically the light hits that piece in an odd way - but it's flush.

Considering the vast majority of Corolla buyers purchase the base model with steel rims and hubcaps, clearly the majority don't give a hoot about 4-wheel disc brakes (unlike most enthusiests here!) This looks like a modest refresh after only 2 years into the lifecycle at a time when Ford Hyundai et al are doing complete full model change on competitive models. Yeah Corolla will have it's work cut out for it...

But I like the front end and there's some interior improvements. Definitely a bit more sportier. But I just can't get by those tail lights. I need to see this in person to see if it's just the photo. I thought the same way (negatively) about the blue tC until I saw it in person and wondered if it was the same car. Changed my tune.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Given the normal leadtimes for these photos and launch dates, this must be a pre-production model in the photo. And that trim misalignment looks more like a shadow from a bevelled edge to me - having pulled that piece off many a time I can attest that periodically the light hits that piece in an odd way - but it's flush.

Considering the vast majority of Corolla buyers purchase the base model with steel rims and hubcaps, clearly the majority don't give a hoot about 4-wheel disc brakes (unlike most enthusiests here!) This looks like a modest refresh after only 2 years into the lifecycle at a time when Ford Hyundai et al are doing complete full model change on competitive models. Yeah Corolla will have it's work cut out for it...

But I like the front end and there's some interior improvements. Definitely a bit more sportier. But I just can't get by those tail lights. I need to see this in person to see if it's just the photo. I thought the same way (negatively) about the blue tC until I saw it in person and wondered if it was the same car. Changed my tune.
It can be seen in this photo too. It's not just pre-production models anymore. It's Toyota. Time for them to wake up because the competition is far better with the exception of the Sentra. Those two are at the back of the pack despite the fact the Sentra was a really good car not too long ago.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Damn, my aging 7 year old 2005 XRS has a far more upscale interior with much better fit, finish, quality and soft touch materials. It still looks brand new from inside.

The pop-up glove box in the 10th gen looks identical complete with horrible plastic my friend's RAV has. The shift knob and gauges look from the 90s.

Cheap looking hard plastics everywhere. :facepalm:

For comparison, this is what mine looks like developed way back in 2003:

Notice even the shift boot was made of very soft, durable, plush stitched leather. That is the attention of detail Toyota used to be known for.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
Indeed. The 9th gen 'rolla was far better than the current one. I think the Corolla is probably the worst effort in Toyota's lineup and embodies how far they've dropped. Someone at HQ is hopefully listening, but today's refresh was hugely disappointing.

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
Nothing spectacular, but it does clean up the front and rear. The rear of the non-refreshed 10th gen looks awkward and too much like the 9th gen. The front does remind me of a previous generation Mazda 6.

They definitely need to redesign the entire vehicle, even if it's just to reskin the same old chassis. Offer up a reskin with enhanced powertrains, like 6 speed autos and manuals across the range and best in class MPG.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts