Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running alongside the 2011 Toyota 4Runner shot earlier was the 2011 Toyota Sienna. Based on what well-placed sources are telling us, Toyota is going for minivan blood this time.

The next Sienna is planned for a debut sometime this fall with sales following in 2010 and it's going to be bringing the heat. It will wear styling borrowed from the Camry and the 2010 Prius, but it's more the inside which will cause heartburn to the competitors with rumored features in the top-shelf model like Lay-Z-Boy-style reclining captains chairs complete with leg rests as well as a novel, extra-wide single video screen. Think of it like a 20:9 aspect ratio television screen, and the suspicion is the unit will run two video sources simultaneously. Should be interesting to see how it goes up against Chrysler's bread-and-butter minivans, one of the few product lines we're positive someone would snap up if Cerberus decides to chop Chrysler up and sell off the pieces.

Pics Here

·
Registered
316 Posts
I hope itll turn out to look like the Previa. The windshield looks giant and sloped more also those side windows can make the cabin more airy like the Previa.

·
Every road's a playground
2000 camry ce
1,338 Posts
no wonder the length has increased. but can't wait. i really hope they improved handling characteristics too

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
They need to bring back the Previa-style drivetrain Mid-engined-rear-wheel-drive! :D
MR doesn't always make the best choice.

The old MR Previa/Estima was hard to repair and didn't drive well either. It was a huge improvement when the engine got moved to the front.

BTW.
Where is the Previa in Europe now? I would take the Estima over the boring Volkswagens French MPVs anyday. Bring it back!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
+1, otherwise I don't see how we all can get excited over a Sienna....heck, bring the Estima!
It could be argued that the Sienna is the larger, North American version of the Estima. They are both based upon the Camry platform and the Estima offers the same engine choices as the Camry, the 2AZ 4-cylinder and the 2GR V6. My guess is that the Estima would not sell in North America, where we prefer larger vehicles with larger, more powerful engines, which is why we get the large, North American Sienna, with the larger, 2GR V6 engine as the only engine choice.

They need to bring back the Previa-style drivetrain Mid-engined-rear-wheel-drive! :D

The old MR Previa/Estima was hard to repair and didn't drive well either. It was a huge improvement when the engine got moved to the front.

BTW.
Where is the Previa in Europe now? I would take the Estima over the boring Volkswagens French MPVs anyday. Bring it back!
Was the Previa/Estima too large for Europe? The Toyota UK website says that the Previa was replaced by the Corolla Verso, a smaller vehicle.

Remember that in the Previa, the driver and front passenger sat over the engine. Toyota could not find an engine now that would fit in a new-generation front mid-engine, rear-wheel drive Previa/Sienna, unless it used a 4-cylinder engine lying on its side, just as the Previa did, or used a Subaru H6 boxer engine. A V6 engine would not fit in such a configuration. But whatever engine is used, the fact that the front row is sitting over the engine and there is a drive shaft to the rear axle means that the vehicle will sit high, with a high centre of gravity. You want both a sporty ride AND a high centre of gravity? Good luck!

Having engine access from the passenger compartment would also make servicing difficult (and more expensive).

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hah! It would take 1 pothole or a speedbump and the front end of that van in the pic would be destroyed.

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
My guess is that the Estima would not sell in North America, where we prefer larger vehicles with larger, more powerful engines, which is why we get the large, North American Sienna, with the larger, 2GR V6 engine as the only engine choice.
well, they can keep the big size but make it look like the Estima? or is that too sporty for the NA market?

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
Was the Previa/Estima too large for Europe? The Toyota UK website says that the Previa was replaced by the Corolla Verso, a smaller vehicle.
It was about the same size as the competitors (VW Sharan and the like), but I guess it didn't have much market penetration.

Toyota has had much more luck with the Hiace minivan, but looking at the Japanese market, I feel we are a bit behind the times here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hah! It would take 1 pothole or a speedbump and the front end of that van in the pic would be destroyed.
I know where I live (MI) that's just what would happen. Either that or my wife would scrap up the ground effects up against the parking lot curb.

·
The Toyota Guru
2013 BMW 328i xDrive
332 Posts
Looks god awful right now -_-" [especially the rear]

I can already imagine the Camry Grill Plus or Venza Grill on it XD

·
Registered
502 Posts

Didn't drive well? I beg to differ. The Previa, even as old as they are, ride much better than the Sienna. The Previa has a much better suspension system, and Toyota cheaped out on the Sienna's.
The MR design puts the drivetrain weight almost squarely between the front and rear wheels. That creates much better balance and handling.
The Sienna has a large engine way out front, and suffers from predictable front-drive push.
The Sienna has a pretty gawdawful interior too. Space is poorly utilized and the seats aren't very good. It's no surprise to me that Sienna sales are falling off the competition.

Previas are more expensive to repair, no question. But, it doesn't see the shop very often. Which is, I believe, why one buys a Toyota to begin with. ;)

C

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
Now I don't really know the sienna, but MR Previa didn't strike me as a drivers car. MR layout doesn't really matter in a vehicle so big with a high center of gravity and often with some heavy cargo inside. If you want to drive it like an MR2 through the corners, then you'r a lot braver than me!

Toyota Sportsvan on the other hand is low Avensis-based FR van that is all what you would have thought a "sportsvan" should be.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Didn't drive well? I beg to differ. The Previa, even as old as they are, ride much better than the Sienna. The Previa has a much better suspension system, and Toyota cheaped out on the Sienna's.
The MR design puts the drivetrain weight almost squarely between the front and rear wheels. That creates much better balance and handling.
The Sienna has a large engine way out front, and suffers from predictable front-drive push.
The Sienna has a pretty gawdawful interior too. Space is poorly utilized and the seats aren't very good. It's no surprise to me that Sienna sales are falling off the competition.

Previas are more expensive to repair, no question. But, it doesn't see the shop very often. Which is, I believe, why one buys a Toyota to begin with. ;)

C
So far from all the minivans I've driven, I hate them all. Since the Previa was such a different van I do wonder how the supercharged version drove now that the power issue was...sort of resolved. A minivan that handled and drove well would be a real treat.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Now I don't really know the sienna, but MR Previa didn't strike me as a drivers car. MR layout doesn't really matter in a vehicle so big with a high center of gravity and often with some heavy cargo inside. If you want to drive it like an MR2 through the corners, then you'r a lot braver than me!

Toyota Sportsvan on the other hand is low Avensis-based FR van that is all what you would have thought a "sportsvan" should be.
It's not a true sportsvan like that, nor like the Mazda offerings over here. The Sport van concept is a recent, 21st century idea (and a good one, IMO).

No, you certainly can't drive a Previa like an MR2, though there have been people who have modded them to, but it does handle much better than most vans, with the drivetrain very low and midway between the axles.

So far from all the minivans I've driven, I hate them all. Since the Previa was such a different van I do wonder how the supercharged version drove now that the power issue was...sort of resolved. A minivan that handled and drove well would be a real treat.
Gotta agree w/you. I am definitely not a minivan-lover either, and I've ridden in or driven nearly all the other offerings since the '84 Chrysler original out there at one time or another. But, the Previa is an entirely different vehicle. It's probably one reason it didn't do so well over here...not anonymous/bland enough...:rolleyes:

I had the same thought about the power when my family first looked at it. Only 138HP for nearly 4,000 lbs of car? And only a 4-banger? Yeah, right!
But, I have found that it has plenty of zip around town, and does just fine on the highway. Only really steep interstate climbs give it a challenge; then it has to shift down a gear or two. Full/empty weight doesn't seem to make a big difference; it goes pokey on the steep hills regardless.

The only thing I can say is that the Toyota engineers really worked their magic on this rig. If it'd been anyone else, Asian, American or European, it just wouldn't have worked.:D

C

1 - 20 of 28 Posts